Need some advice on rooting Note 3

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Some have done it without tripping Knox, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. Questions for those who have done this successfully:

1) Will a KitKat ROM allow me to OTA update once rooted?
2) Apps that work on KitKat; can I take it for granted that they'll work in a rooted phone with KitKat?
3) Once rooted, can I revert back to Jelly Bean should I choose to?
4) What exactly will I lose once I root, anything? I know rooting allows me to kill the stupid bloatware apps -
5) If I don't see the value in rooting, can I unroot back to factory settings?
6) Finally - best place/ link to the guide and all files I need to root!

Last edited:

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
No, (manufacturer or network) OTA updates won't work once you install a custom ROM. Is that what you meant?
2) Apps that work on KitKat; can I take it for granted that they'll work in a rooted phone with KitKat?
Yes, any apps that worked before, will still be fine with a rooted phone.
Yes, you can reflash a stock ROM if you need to go back.
4) What exactly will I lose once I root, anything? I know rooting allows me to kill the stupid bloatware apps -
Not a thing. Root gives you more options and doesn't remove the ability to do anything. All features remain the same, or improve/increase.
Yes. See answer 3.
Hmm, I'd start with the XDA forums for anything related to rooting. There are numerous guides and tutorials on there. Read through a few before taking the plunge, just so you know what you're doing and know where to ask for help if things go wrong.

Hope that helps. Good luck :)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Could always plant the note 3 to see if takes root. Don't use water though! Especially pool water!

Posted via the porcelain throne.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can reflash a stock ROM if you need to go back.

WARNING! Once you go to KitKat you can't go back to Jelly Bean. It doesn't matter if you are rooted or not. The KitKat bootloader won't allow you to go back.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
WARNING! Once you go to KitKat you can't go back to Jelly Bean. It doesn't matter if you are rooted or not. The KitKat bootloader won't allow you to go back.

This has always been the case with new Android iterations as far as I know.

The easiest way I've found is here:

http://galaxynote3root.com/galaxy-note-3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-note-3/

Make sure you use the link that applies to your version. Read the instructions carefully and go through each step in your head so that you know the sequence before you try. And don't freak out when it seems to hang up for a little while. The instructions address this, but you'll still have a moment or two of unease. This method is TWOP, not CWM, and they can't be interchanged. Also, some have had problems with Win 8. I did mine with Win 7 and had no problems.

From start to finish, took less than 30 minutes including downloading drivers, Odin, etc.

After you do that, read/watch a tutorial about using the slots in recovery. I think that this dude has one on his site, but if not, there are several on YouTube. There will be suggestions on how large to make each slot.

Posted via Android Central App

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Also if you care, any current methods for rooting KitKat will trip the Knox flag from 0x0 to 0x1. So far there is no way to reset the flag.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You folks are mixing terms here.

Root does not equal ROM.

I've ROMed without rooting and I've rooted without ROMing.

The question really is what are you trying to accomplish.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Also if you care, any current methods for rooting KitKat will trip the Knox flag from 0x0 to 0x1. So far there is no way to reset the flag.

Yes there have been many reports that say Samsung's update also trip the bit so you can just argue it was flipping on an update.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Is there something special about the Note3 bootloader that prevents this? I know for many phones like the Note 2 one can jump to any OS once root with CWM installed.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there something special about the Note3 bootloader that prevents this? I know for many phones like the Note 2 one can jump to any OS once root with CWM installed.

I know that with Moto Droid products, once you upgraded to the next iteration, you couldn't go back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Some have done it without tripping Knox, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. Questions for those who have done this successfully:

Yes. If you remain stock rooted - no custom rom, no custom recovery.
99.9% will.
Not sure if it's been figured out yet but once you got install 4.4, the bootloader prevents you from going back to 4.3. I know some were working on a fix.
Nothing
Yes
XDA is your friend
[SM-N900T] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers
XDA is your friend

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

4.4 Bootloader. I gave my Note 2 to the wife. Is there a 4.4 update for the N2?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ya, that I do care about...I read that they had addressed that problem, but I think I read in a later update that big bad SammyDung also addressed it.

Gator, you posting from the can again? LOL

Last edited:

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
4.4 Bootloader. I gave my Note 2 to the wife. Is there a 4.4 update for the N2?
Are we talking bootloaders or ROMs?

There is cyanogenmod ROMs on 4.4 but I've not gone that far. For me the pen is one if the biggest features of the phone update it to a rom that doesn't take advantage of the pen is kind of pointless.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to an official KK 4.4 ROM for the N2. Not cyanogenmod. Never liked cyanogenmod. Too bland and too many broken apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2