Google Maps. Why am I in Paris again ?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Lol, we have no way of determining gender unless the poster discloses it, so mistakes are bound to happen. :)
I'm male! *checks piping*....yup I'm male :)

Thankfully that movie came out a year after I went travelling!!! ...met a few weirdos on our trip (myself and another lassie) but for the most part met some really cool people :)

Posted via Android Central App

I'm sure most people are pretty cool. It's only the few idiots that ruin it for the rest of em. You made sure you still had your wallet right??!?

Last edited by a moderator:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday my GPS or Google Maps decided to put my phone on the Wales coast west of Liverpool and 245 miles from London; but for a shorter period.
I preferred my long 'faux' stay in France.

Nobody else seems to have had a similar issue, so it may end there.
If this issue returns regularly I will post again.
umetega9.jpg
unagevug.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had recent positioning problems and difficulty loading maps on a great signal. This has happened to me 4 times in the last week. KitKat updated 2 weeks ago. I live and have been in a 10 mile radius of SW London. The GPS positions me off road in large parkland west of Paris.
*Exactly the same area each time.
It will recover on a reboot.
I cleared cache in Maps this time only, then Storage, closed all running apps and it still puts me there when I go back to Maps.

An update issue? Anyone else?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/azade6yh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/qahera4y.jpg

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Ahh if only it were true Mad54. ;) I haven't been to Paris but I have been to Strasbourg. Wonderful place. I am happy to report that I have not experienced any negative affects from recent update but I sure feel for those that have. Push on buddy

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ahh if only it were true Mad54. ;) I haven't been to Paris but I have been to Strasbourg. Wonderful place. I am happy to report that I have not experienced any negative affects from recent update but I sure feel for those that have. Push on buddy

I think it's one temporary glitch.
My phone knew where I really wanted to be though. Now it's coming back. That emotional trauma is going to be tougher to get over. Sob.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I think it's one temporary glitch.
My phone knew where I really wanted to be though. Now it's coming back. That emotional trauma is going to be tougher to get over. Sob.

Darn! Should have told the phone you wanted to make a stop in Bavaria first. I loved Germany too!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Darn! Should have told the phone you wanted to make a stop in Bavaria first. I loved Germany too!

Yes. Some beautiful places in Europe. A lot of your American buds get to Germany.
Apart from a few spots, we don't do pristine scenic beauty matched with beautifully maintained homes here in the UK and Ireland.
I watch the Tour de France on TV for the scenery.

C'est la vie ! :)

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Yes. Some beautiful places in Europe. A lot of your American buds get to Germany.
Apart from a few spots, we don't do pristine scenic beauty matched with beautifully maintained homes here in the UK and Ireland.
I watch the Tour de France on TV for the scenery.

C'est la vie ! :)

Lot of great scenery here in the States but I thought Bavaria was just amazing. Have a co-worker of mine coming your way this fall (he just told me). Doing the UK and Paris I believe. He's originally from Russia/Ukraine area. I sure wish I had this Note when I was over there but alas that was back before the internet was for public consumption (am I dating myself?) I'd love to come back over that way and take some great pics. This time I'll have to make my way to the UK and maybe Ireland. Hopefully my trusty GPS will not fail me :p

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Lot of great scenery here in the States but I thought Bavaria was just amazing. Have a co-worker of mine coming your way this fall (he just told me). Doing the UK and Paris I believe. He's originally from Russia/Ukraine area. I sure wish I had this Note when I was over there but alas that was back before the internet was for public consumption (am I dating myself?) I'd love to come back over that way and take some great pics. This time I'll have to make my way to the UK and maybe Ireland. Hopefully my trusty GPS will not fail me :p

Ha Ha.
All are welcome. You should try to get over.

I love the States. I haven't really traveled since 08, and then with a cheap 4mp camera. Most of my favorite trips are on prints, I should digitize them.

It's true, the Note 3 is now perfect for travelling. Great pics, maps, movies, music, net - everything you need.

Actually Bavaria and Switzerland are 2 places I wanted to get to most but never been. Looks fantastic. Italy is 3rd on my list. I only drove around Hanover once on the way to Copenhagen and Malmo.

There's always Google Street View, but I'll wait until I'm 89 before I do my travelling that way. Best.

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had recent positioning problems and difficulty loading maps on a great signal. This has happened to me 4 times in the last week. KitKat updated 2 weeks ago. I live and have been in a 10 mile radius of SW London. The GPS positions me off road in large parkland west of Paris.
*Exactly the same area each time.
It will recover on a reboot.
I cleared cache in Maps this time only, then Storage, closed all running apps and it still puts me there when I go back to Maps.

An update issue? Anyone else?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/azade6yh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/qahera4y.jpg

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Maybe they are trying to copy apple maps

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
'The Truth Is Out There.'

Apparently, your truth is in Paris. 👍:p

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

I think your right! Well Paris is where I could have found a soul mate 20 or more years ago. (Awwww!) Every one gets romantic there.

The French know whats important in life. Been 8-10 times to Paris. Missing it after 6 years. Must try this year. Even for a weekend. You might get an invite!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps has gone downhill fast. I think maybe Google hired the guy that did Apple Maps a few years ago. I've had Google Maps route me around through a 10 mile radius to get me to a point that was literally 2 miles up the street in a straight shot. The other day I was looking for a grocery store on my commute out of Philly and it gave me a grocery store in Utah (that's 2200 some odd miles away for those not familiar with U.S. Geography). I would consider finding my way from my current location to Google Headquarters so that I could picket their lack of quality, but I'd be afraid where Google Maps would send me......

Look at this, too cool!

https://nightwalk.withgoogle.com/en/panorama/209

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

It took me into a dark alley and someone mugged me for my wallet. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Weird. Mine has taken a second to lock on before but other than that it's been solid :what:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google Maps has gone downhill fast. I think maybe Google hired the guy that did Apple Maps a few years ago. I've had Google Maps route me around through a 10 mile radius to get me to a point that was literally 2 miles up the street in a straight shot. The other day I was looking for a grocery store on my commute out of Philly and it gave me a grocery store in Utah (that's 2200 some odd miles away for those not familiar with U.S. Geography). I would consider finding my way from my current location to Google Headquarters so that I could picket their lack of quality, but I'd be afraid where Google Maps would send me......

Hm also not my experience.. I love Google maps. It's gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go without Hassel.

Not sure why some are experiencing horrid directions and GPS though.. Odd to start occurring now. You'd think it would be upon release :p.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hm also not my experience.. I love Google maps. It's gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go without Hassel.

Not sure why some are experiencing horrid directions and GPS though.. Odd to start occurring now. You'd think it would be upon release :p.

In all fairness, when I'm at home (Dallas area) it directs me with no problems. I've noticed it acting loopy in Philly for the most part, although I will still get some weird routing in Dallas. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on them considering how fast the roads change. Google's done a decent job of trying to keep up with changing roads.

One thing I would like to suggest to them is a feature within Google maps that lets you as a user transmit your commute conditions to a database that lets other google maps users see how good/bad the route is. If I'm using Google Maps on a highway with a speed limit of 55 MPH and I'm traveling at 10 MPH, let that information go to other Google Maps users so they know that there are some bad conditions ahead. I would assume that Google Maps already does some of that at a low level, but I'd like to see it as a user feature that has to be enabled and lets users change how much data Google can mine for the sake of another user. Oh and there would be a feature that doesn't report when you're going 5-10 MPH over the speed limit btw. ;)

Oh and it's been kind of buggy for me since I've had the Note 3, and even with my HTC Rezound before that.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I also would have to say 'G-Nav' and positioning have been very good when I have used it. It often takes probably a lot longer than it should to lock on. Sure the routes can be a little illogical if you know the route and just want to get an ETA, but they used to be worse on standalone Garmins and TomToms. I started to use the Google traffic info overlay over dedicated breakdown service traffic apps. Mostly been a good guide to work a route around or through London. I know what @TXTGOU means about user input which would be better still if enough people supported it. Whacky routes you got, too. But your position was always OK right.

It was the insistence suddenly and over a week that I am in a spot in France that surprised me.
My first stupid thought (I get several:)) when it first stayed on a false position, was of a possible connection to the search for the missing Malaysian 777. Thinking satellite resources were focusing on that region. 'Course they would only use imaging capable satellites to continue the search, but could they have collected old data from other satellites. There's a lot of them up there. Like I said, stupid.
But this has been odd behaviour, more so because I haven't heard it reported elsewhere.