Google Maps. Why am I in Paris again ?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had recent positioning problems and difficulty loading maps on a great signal. This has happened to me 4 times in the last week. KitKat updated 2 weeks ago. I live and have been in a 10 mile radius of SW London. The GPS positions me off road in large parkland west of Paris.
*Exactly the same area each time.
It will recover on a reboot.
I cleared cache in Maps this time only, then Storage, closed all running apps and it still puts me there when I go back to Maps.

An update issue? Anyone else?
azade6yh.jpg
qahera4y.jpg

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I want to go there so bad. 6 years since I went!
Here's another thing to add, after posting I rebooted and Maps knows where I am again, BUT (and I've seen this before also) - my home screen weather widget shows I am now in the nearest town there, St Germain en Laye, while the map shows I am home.
There have been some spookie threads lately, phantom phone calls and all. I am NOT making this up!
Oh well. A first KK patch might do it as you say.
tama5apa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, since you are in Saint Germain en Laye, you are close to Rueil Malmaison, which means you can go visit the castle of Josephine de Beauharnais which has really cool history and architecture and then treat yourself to a local restaurant afterwards. Have fun!!! ;)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I want to go there sooo bad. 6 years since I went!
Here's another thing to add, after posting I rebooted and Maps knows where I am again, BUT (and I've seen this before also) - my home screen weather widget shows I am now in the nearest town there, St Germain en Laye, while the map shows I am home.
There have been some spookie threads lately, phantom phone calls and all. I am NOT making this up!
Oh well. A first KK patch might do it as you say. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/tama5apa.jpg

I've read about this before but can't figure out what the fix was. Try turning off your GPS and just let your network find you. After it does, turn on GPS and see what it does.

I just got a new Google search update. You should get it soon.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, since you are in Saint Germain en Laye, you are close to Rueil Malmaison, which means you can go visit the castle of Josephine de Beauharnais which has really cool history and architecture and then treat yourself to a local restaurant afterwards. Have fun!!! ;)

Wow. Did you KNOW that, or look it up. Impressive either way. I like that old French history stuff. Maybe this phone has a portal I need to find; or it's trying to get me there for a reason.
I really am in London right now.
Here - - - - >
du6a8a8u.jpg

I've read about this before but can't figure out what the fix was. Try turning off your GPS and just let your network find you. After it does, turn on GPS and see what it does.

I just got a new Google search update. You should get it soon.

Ah. Sounds a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Did you KNOW that, or look it up. Impressive either way. I like that old French history stuff. Maybe this phone has a portal I need to find; or it's trying to get me there for a reason.
Here - - - - >http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/du6a8a8u.jpg

Here's some French history for ya.....well, not history cause it works in present day too....

If you send a few boxes of white flags shipped via UPS to the parliament....and they will use them to surrender....

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's some French history for ya.....well, not history cause it works in present day too....

If you send a few boxes of white flags shipped via UPS to the parliament....and they will use them to surrender....

HaHa (I forget to laugh sometimes).

I get that now. WW2 and all that. 'S not fair. They had a Resistance. They also had collaborators of course, but scary times.

Anyhoooo - Mild apologies. That weather widget was a red herring. It had not refreshed itself since before the reboot. I have GPS off for now. I mostly have it off, but it was on a lot today.
I think this will recur until we figure it out, or an update cures it.
Oh! Paris!

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
HaHa (I forget to laugh sometimes).

I get that now. WW2 and all that. 'S not fair. They had a Resistance. They also had collaborators of course, but scary times.

Anyhoooo - Mild apologies. That weather widget was a red herring. It had not refreshed itself since before the reboot. I have GPS off for now. I mostly have it off, but it was on a lot today.
I think this will recur until we figure it out, or an update cures it.
Oh! Paris!

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Yes Paris. The French gave us so much.....French Toast, French Fries.....French kissing.....

But my comment above was meant to be a Joke and only a joke...:)

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully that map location is an approximation otherwise we're all coming to stay for a wee visit madd! Get the kettle on!

Oh and whilst you're in Paris (ha) go visit the peace and love hostel ...that's where I stayed on the last stop of my trip traveling around Europe by eurorail when I was 18. Fell in love (lust?) with an American man I Met my first night/his last night there! Ahhhhhhhhh, memories ....was an effin fantastic trip! :)

This (as a Scot) made me laugh ..I was following along like ...uh huh, uh huh ...hahahahaha!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully that map location is an approximation otherwise we're all coming to stay for a wee visit madd! Get the kettle on!

Oh and whilst you're in Paris (ha) go visit the peace and love hostel ...that's where I stayed on the last stop of my trip traveling around Europe by eurorail when I was 18. Fell in love (lust?) with an American man I Met my first night/his last night there! Ahhhhhhhhh, memories ....was an effin fantastic trip! :)

After watching the movies "Hostel", you'll never see me in one! :)

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
After watching the movies "Hostel", you'll never see me in one! :)

Thankfully that movie came out a year after I went travelling!!! ...met a few weirdos on our trip (myself and another lassie) but for the most part met some really cool people :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

No you can't come visit! My phone is usually very accurate so If I were there I would be in a tent on the grass, not the nearby Castle de Josephine.:)
And when I got in my car this morning I didn't have to drive on the wrong side, like American and French people do!

Je suis tres - I mean I am very (oh lord what's happening) much ici I mean here dans Paris -in London. Sacre Bleu!

OK - who wants me to bring back a miniature Eiffel Tower.
How about vous.
Merde!

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
No you can't come visit! My phone is usually very accurate so If I were there I would be in a tent on the grass, not the nearby Castle de Josephine.:)
And when I got in my car this morning I didn't have to drive on the wrong side, like American and French people do!

Je suis tres - I mean I am very (oh lord what's happening) much ici I mean here dans Paris -in London. Sacre Bleu!

OK - who wants me to bring back a miniature Eiffel Tower.
How about vous.
Merde!

I took 6 yrs of French - 2 in primary and 4 in high school and I'm still absolutely effin sh!t at it!

I have a mini eiffel tower keyring I got on my travels ...

I had to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road when I moved to San Diego ...Plus learn to drive like an effin nutter - which is the norm here - happy to say that 6 yrs on I've succeeded! :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I took a long drive for 10 days from LA - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - PCH to San Francisco in '98, and found the road sytem and left turn lanes very good and easy there then.
I feel really bad for 'foreigners'/Americans hiring cars in the UK as the road markings and signage is awful, plus invisible concrete islands extending from the centre of the road.

I drove in Scandinavia a few times and it's good there.
Then I hired a car in Versailles in 2004, went to the west coast and decided to try Paris coming back. Around the Arc de Triomphe is notoriously REALLY scary. Best cure for constipation.

I know very little French, but know what Merde is used for. :)

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm French and a total history freak, lol. Also I used to live in that area. ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm French and a total history freak, lol. Also I used to live in that area. ;)

Ahh. Nice. I just came from the other thread, Monsieur de Beauharnais. Whoever in your castle dropped tea on your tablet, off with their heads. :)

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Ahh. Nice. I just came from the other thread, Monsieur de Beauharnais. Whoever in your castle dropped tea on your tablet, off with their heads. :)

Madame. *checks bewbs* yup, they're still here. Phew! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes