Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By blackmagicwoman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T KitKat Update has ruined my Note 3. Can I go back to Jellybean?

Ever since the update more than a week ago...

* Battery life is atrocious.

* GPS not working properly on some software

* Tethering not keeping active

I figure I could do a factory reset and go back to the version of Jellybean that came initially with the phone when it was released a year ago...correct?

I have an app that will back everything up so I am not too concerned about having to restore my entire apps/widgets upon reverting.

I just want to make certain that I can go back to Jellybean. Of course, I probably won't be able to get the Jellybean updates that came prior to KitKat.

Default Re: AT&T KitKat Update has ruined my Note 3. Can I go back to Jellybean?

Sorry, but you won't be able to revert back. A factory reset doesn't set it back OS wise. Just resets all the settings and such back to as if it was from the factory.
    A number have people have reported that a factory reset has fixed some of their problems that they have had with KitKat, so it might be worth a shot.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    781 Global Posts

Default Re: AT&T KitKat Update has ruined my Note 3. Can I go back to Jellybean?

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post

I figure I could do a factory reset and go back to the version of Jellybean that came initially with the phone when it was released a year ago...correct?

I have an app that will back everything up so I am not too concerned about having to restore my entire apps/widgets upon reverting.

I just want to make certain that I can go back to Jellybean. Of course, I probably won't be able to get the Jellybean updates that came prior to KitKat.
    Which app are you referring to that will back up everything? Because would love to do that and try a factory reset. And yes a lot of your problems I've experienced after updating.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

I'm just curious to know what everyone is referring to as far as the problems after updating to Kitkat. I purchased my Galaxy Note 3 on March 10th. I updated a week or so later. I have yet to have any problems or battery issues with my phone. I get 16-18 hours per day and I am a very heavy user. I'm very hesitant to download a whole lot of applications. I don't play games on my phone. I only use a few basic apps on my phone. I discontinued using social media apps as I'm not the type of person who wants to know what other people are constantly doing in there lives. I'm on a desktop 40 to 50 hours every week. I do have a weakness for Tapatalk. I frequent Android Central and the Imore forums many times a day. I enjoy learning more about my device and I love the screen shot topics. I don't just download rogue apps or try to jailbreak my phone. I'm happy with it just the way it is. I have owned 4 BlackBerry devices and the IPhone 5. So I guess I don't understand why a lot of people have so many problems with 5 Note 3. It works very well and is has the best battery life of any device I have owned. I had the S3 and S4. I try to stay away from apps with those pop up advertisements. I rather pay for the app upfront as opposed to fighting with the continual "please download" the Candy Crush free version. You have to be careful of what you download and put on your device. You have to really be careful what you download. REMEMBER GARBAGE IN EQUALS GARBAGE OUT. Take the time to study and learn more about your investment. This is a very great device and I look forward to my Galaxy Note 4. Best of luck to all of you and I sincerely hope that your issues are resolved. From a very happy GET owner. V!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    msndrstood, Madd54 and Ivan_034 like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Which app are you referring to that will back up everything? Because would love to do that and try a factory reset. And yes a lot of your problems I've experienced after updating.
    My Backup Pro

There is a free version, but I chose to purchase it.
    Thanked by:
    mchi5 

The app Helium will do much of the backing up you would want. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...backup.license
    If you were rooted, I'd recommend Titanium. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TitaniumBackup

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagicwoman View Post
    I'm just curious to know what everyone is referring to as far as the problems after updating to Kitkat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Take a look at this thread. Many people have reported bad luck with the update and are having problems.
    All Note 3 4.4 KitKat owners report in here.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

My Backup Pro

There is a free version, but I chose to purchase it.
    I use that, well it's there. Got Pro for free when their other app My Bookmarks, wouldn't work on 4.3. Great CS.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    This section reserved for a clever signature line.

Yep, awful update. Same issues. Battery not as good. Google Maps having issues. Xbox Music...offline mode no longer supported. Usually wait a while to install updates. Going back to that model for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Husband has the Note 3 on ATT and got the kit kat update recently. His battery is fine. He said the other day he was very pleased with his battery life. I run the Note 3 on Verizon and haven't gotten kit kat yet. Right now I am OK with my battery life but it could be better. So many variables of usage and provider bloat ware affect the performance after an update. Husband runs alot of sports apps that sync regularly as well as work related apps and social. He gets much better battery than I do in comparison.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

GPS STILL not working with 4.2.2?????
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

GPS STILL not working with 4.2.2???
    ??

Could be related to just one piece of software since update, but uncertain.

As someone else alluded to this is largely about what you have on your device prior to the update.

I did a factory reset the other day because of weird slowdowns and such. But I am not going to complain because I have my phone loaded with a bunch of apps. Since the reset it has worked fine.

I think a lot of the wonkyness are from apps not handling the update well. Not really the release of the rom.

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

I hate say it for those having issues with the KitKat upgrade you will need to do a Factory Reset to fix your problems. I did and could not be more happy with the update, the only thing I need to confirm is that the GPS issue is fixed.