Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By Gator352
  • 1 Post By NoteTheDate
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question What durable (light to heavy duty) case goes on and comes off easy?

Hello all and thank you in advance for reading my post. I do my best to “pay it forward” when I can.

I recently just switched my service over to Verizon (love the service) and bought a Note 3 (love this phone). I was using an S3 with an Elago Breathe case. It was a great case but more for light duty use. The Note 3 is so nice I would hate to have it covered all of the time so I would like to swap cases based on my situation. The slim cases go on and come off easy but when you get into cases like the Otterbox they seem to be a “put it on and leave it on” type of a case. I just want something mainly for protecting against drop and slight bangs. I “think” the Otterbox defender would be overkill and very large. So out of the light to heavy duty cases what ones go on and come off easy?

Default Re: What durable (light to heavy duty) case goes on and comes off easy?

I use the commuter from otterbox for light to medium protection and it slips on extremely easily and quickly.

The otterbox defender actually comes off fairly easy.
    Also, the redisign 9f the defender for the note3 is a HUGE improvement over the case for the note2..

Its a lot easier to carry than the note2 defender was and its a great heavy duty protector

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by skyrocketeer View Post
    I use the commuter from otterbox for light to medium protection and it slips on extremely easily and quickly.
    I am starting to like the commuter case a little more. What did you compare it to before buying?
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

UAG does that...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post
    Also, the redisign 9f the defender for the note3 is a HUGE improvement over the case for the note2..

Its a lot easier to carry than the note2 defender was and its a great heavy duty protector

How much bigger is the Defender anyway?

I have the defender, it's really thin but I have three batteries and the silicon will stretch over time if you are changing batteries frequently. I change mines once a day so I am seeing the stretch, but Otterbox will replace it for that so it's not so bad.

Its not a lot bigger but if your going to be taking it on and off a lot its probably not the case for you.
    I love the defender case but I dont take it off much.. I have no need too

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post

I just tried the commuter on at a local store. I was amazed that it wasn't humongous and it did go on easy and come off easy. So at least I have something to go off of now for comparisons.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    UAG does that...
    What are the direct competitors to the UAG?

Quote Originally Posted by sliver108 View Post
    I just tried the commuter on at a local store. I was amazed that it wasn't humongous and it did go on easy and come off easy. So at least I have something to go off of now for comparisons.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    The commuter isnt a bad case at all

Thanked by 2:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by dorrien12 View Post
    I have the defender, it's really thin but I have three batteries and the silicon will stretch over time if you are changing batteries frequently. I change mines once a day so I am seeing the stretch, but Otterbox will replace it for that so it's not so bad.

I compared that to the commuter today and was shocked that it was so thing, almost the same size.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

What are the direct competitors to the UAG?
    Otterbox; it's that type of case and protection, but in a much smaller, more sleek package. Dropped my UAG many times and it (the case) still hasn't got scratch after hitting brick, asphalt and concrete. Obviously, neither does the phone. They use some type of material that isn't exactly plastic - but a combination of several composites, and rubber. Pretty much the last case you'll ever need for a phone.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I think that would drive me over the edge lol.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Otterbox; it's that type of case and protection, but in a much smaller, more sleek package. Dropped my UAG many times and it (the case) still hasn't got scratch after hitting brick, asphalt and concrete. Obviously, neither does the phone. They use some type of material that isn't exactly plastic - but a combination of several composites, and rubber. Pretty much the last case you'll ever need for a phone.
    Thanks FBA. Are there any other "quick release" cases I should consider in your opinion?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I think I am sold on the UAG. I saw some drop tests compared to the commuter and I would say they are equal. Given that fact I am picking the UAG because it is different as far as the style and I like that. Thanks for all of your help.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Thanks FBA. Are there any other "quick release" cases I should consider in your opinion?
    Honestly, I've only tried the UAG and the Spigen Neo Hybrid, which is a bit thinner, but is in no way remotely close to indestructible, unlike the UAG. I also bought a Chinese aluminum case for $10.00 shipped, which is really nice and slim, but again, it's not anywhere near as protective as the UAG. I don't think anything really beats the UAG for sturdiness - and it's a great looking case as well!
    Thanked by:
    sliver108 likes this.

Honestly, I've only tried the UAG and the Spigen Neo Hybrid, which is a bit thinner, but is in no way remotely close to indestructible, unlike the UAG. I also bought a Chinese aluminum case for $10.00 shipped, which is really nice and slim, but again, it's not anywhere near as protective as the UAG. I don't think anything really beats the UAG for sturdiness - and it's a great looking case as well!
    If only it had a holster. I love the look of the UAG's but I have to have a holster. HOLSTER. Holster dangnabbit......
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
    sliver108 likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

How does that stand up to scuffs and how does it protect the screen from drops? I want to get my wife a case for her S4 that will add the least amount of bulk but also guard against drops.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

The UAG - I have not scuffed the case, leave alone the phone. This is after several drops on concrete / brick / asphalt /

It's one very tough case; as protective as the Otterbox, but perhaps more resistant to scuffing. The phone will never get harmed in that case, unless it lands face down on an object sticking up from the ground. If it lands face down on a flat surface, it will be fine. The case if made from some type of rubber/ plastic composite from what I can see.

Spigen Neo hybrid
    I usually hate having a case on my phone but this one feels good in the hand and I dropped my note 3 from ear height (6') on asphalt and the case protected my phone.
    Thanked by 2:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by NoteTheDate View Post
    Spigen Neo hybrid
    I usually hate having a case on my phone but this one feels good in the hand and I dropped my note 3 from ear height (6') on asphalt and the case protected my phone.
    So what is the deal with the slim amour? I can't seem to find any real decent comparisons that don't differ from one another.

I found this. I think it basically comes down to which design you like the most. I prefer the white neo hybrid with my black note
    Thanked by:
    sliver108 likes this.

Seidio Surface is highly protective and a breeze to take on and off...i did it for 2 years daily with my skyrocket.

- - - Updated - - -

Surface also has a great holster.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Thanks Sky. I like this case a lot and heavily considered it for my day to day case. However, after deciding on the UAG case for my heavy duty case I don't think I could justify spending $25 on this case when I can get the Spigen Ultra Fit for $10. Maybe next time so I appreciate the mini review.