Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default connected to USB 3.0 still slow transfer speed,why?

I bought USB 3.0 cable and connected my Note 3 via usb 3.0 extended cable to my usb 3.0 plug on my mainboard.
    But I still have slow transfer speed,avg 20 mb/s.Anyone got it better and how?

Default Re: connected to USB 3.0 still slow transfer speed,why?

how long is the extended cable?
    Im pretty sure the longer the cable gets the slower the transfer will be.
    Thats how most electronics are. With longer cable runs you start to get higher signal loss.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    how long is the extended cable?
    Im pretty sure the longer the cable gets the slower the transfer will be.
    Thats how most electronics are. With longer cable runs you start to get higher signal loss.
    3 meters lentgh.

that would be what, 9.9 feet.. So almost 10 feet of cable. Thats a pretty long run.
    Im leaning towards that being the issue. But im also hoping someone can chime in and either back me up or offer an alternative..
    Can you try a shorter cable? Just to test data speeds.

I have had USB 3.0 cables longer with no problems. I don't believe 3.0 has a recommended max length, 3 meters seems to be the common length.

When you plug in your phone are you pulling the top down and selecting Media device (USB 3.0)? It's the third option down. Does the USB connection on the upper right of your screen shown the little USB symbol with the 3.0?

I think you mean 1 meter is a common length.
    Thats about 3.3 feet. 3 meters is 9.9 feet..
    I have seen plain jane charging cables be about 6-8 feet long but when it comes to data cables they tend to be 3 feet or 1 meter.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Tarant View Post
    I have had USB 3.0 cables longer with no problems. I don't believe 3.0 has a recommended max length, 3 meters seems to be the common length.

When you plug in your phone are you pulling the top down and selecting Media device (USB 3.0)? It's the third option down. Does the USB connection on the upper right of your screen shown the little USB symbol with the 3.0?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...psvjiwxkha.png
    When I select media device (usb 3.0) note 3 is not recognized in my Windows 7.I don't see it in device list when I go to my computer.Whenever I connect it to my pc it's recognized as media device (that option is checked).
    Sorry guys,cable length is around 1.5 m.

No, I mean 3 meters or 9.9 feet. Any longer and the system may not be able to transfer at full speed, but it should be faster than what the op is getting.

OP, the only thing I can think of is your computer's USB 3.0 drivers are out of date, Depending on who made your computer you should be able to go to their website and download the USB 3.0 drivers or go into your device manager and manually update the USB 3.0 drivers.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Tarant View Post
    No, I mean 3 meters or 9.9 feet. Any longer and the system may not be able to transfer at full speed, but it should be faster than what the op is getting.

OP, the only thing I can think of is your computer's USB 3.0 drivers are out of date, Depending on who made your computer you should be able to go to their website and download the USB 3.0 drivers or go into your device manager and manually update the USB 3.0 drivers.
    usb 3.0 works great with my external WD HDD which supports 3.0 with it's own cable.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Was giving my dad movies (69gig) and was pushing 60 to 50

Posted via Android Central App

ps. My cable was 8 inch. Was using my external hard drive cable
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

So I can use usb 3.0 cavble from my WD ext drive without need to worry about damaging plug in Note 3?

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzo79 View Post
    I bought USB 3.0 cable and connected my Note 3 via usb 3.0 extended cable to my usb 3.0 plug on my mainboard.
    But I still have slow transfer speed,avg 20 mb/s.Anyone got it better and how?
    20mb/s us pretty slow. I get around 200mb/s or around 25MB/s. Perhaps a bad cable or something?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    20mb/s us pretty slow. I get around 200mb/s or around 25MB/s. Perhaps a bad cable or something?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Just transfered 1.91 GB single file in 85 sec using samsung cable so it's approx 23MB/s. am I getting usb 3.0 speed benefits?
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,263 Global Posts

You are. File type also has a lot to do with transfer speeds. Files that are less compressed will transfer at higher speeds. That said, remember that the transfer speeds stated are theoretic speeds, not practical. USB 3 should hit 5 gbps, but you will never see those speeds between the device and the computer. The speeds you're getting are a bit on the low side but inline with what they will be - in practice, if you're copying to an SD card in your device. I don't think you will see much faster transfer than that with this setup.

Copying to the device memory, I get a 1GB transfer (zip file) on USB 2 - in 30 seconds. it's about 70 seconds for the same file if copying to the device's SD card. USB 3 is about 3 times faster than USB 2, in practice.

Moving files (1000 or more) off the SD card to the computer (1.3GB @ USB 2.0 speeds) took me 3-4 minutes
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.

Also experiencing only modest speeds transferring over a USB 3.0 connection with a Galaxy S5. Enabled 3.0 connectivity, recognized on both laptop and S5. Transferring large video files on a USB 3.0 connection from a laptop with internal SATA SSD on a 3 foot cable. Speeds are a bit faster than USB 2.0, but nowhere near the supposed 10 times bump.. I'm guessing the Galaxy S5 internal memory is the limiting factor.
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,263 Global Posts

I doubt that...
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.