Note 3 - Crackle and Pop noise when using AUX?

maybeamac

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I recently received my Note 3 yesterday and I've noticed that when I plug it into my car speakers via the AUX output, there is a really annoying pop noise. It happens when there hasn't been any sound output from the phone eg. when first unlocking it and clicking any buttons, it makes the pop noise. If you continue to use the phone it won't make the noise again but if you let it rest for a few seconds and click something else which makes a noise (apps, menu, alerts) it makes the pop noise again.

If the phone is set to vibrate/silent it doesn't happen.

Probably the most noticeable time it does this is when you skip tracks in the Music player and there's that pause at the end of the track so there's a constant pop pop popping.

Does anyone know if my phone is faulty or how to fix it? I don't think it's that noticeable when using earphones but using a car stereo system it definitely is (I've tried different aux cables/cars too but it has no effect).

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't come across this issue with my Note 3 and I hook mine up to my car stereo via AUX on a daily basis.

maybeamac

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Do you think it's a hardware fault? I've read some other people had the issue as well:

"There is a noticeable and ugly pop sound followed by a static noise whenever the audio stops while using the AUX port in my car. When the audio starts again, the sound disappears completely. When it stops, it's fine for 3 seconds and then the pop sound hits again followed by the static noise."

It doesn't seem to happen with just standard earphones which is very weird?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It very well might be something with the hardware.

You said it doesn't happen with regular headphones?

maybeamac

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Nope, strange huh. Can you think of a reason why it would only happen on external speakers - do you think the power/length of AUX has something to do with it?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a powerful car stereo? Maybe that has something to do with it like you said?

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It should happen to any phone that you plug into it. My son has an amp in his room that pops every time he plugs his iPhone 5 into it. When I plugged my phone into it the same thing happened.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think this is an Note 3 issue. I hear that noise whenever I plug my Note 2 or Nexus 7 in using the AUX cord. Annoying, but not an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

maybeamac

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
It's that initial pop when you first plug into the phone but it does that static noise again when I click on an app or something that makes a noise. It goes away and comes back after no sound, eg there's that 2-3 second gap between a song ending and a new song starting so it does that static pop noise between tracks. Does that sound normal?

I don't think it's directly related to the car stereo - it happens with my desktop Harmon Kardon Soundstick 2.1 speakers too?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It should happen to any phone that you plug into it. My son has an amp in his room that pops every time he plugs his iPhone 5 into it. When I plugged my phone into it the same thing happened.

Yeah, I don't think this is an Note 3 issue. I hear that noise whenever I plug my Note 2 or Nexus 7 in using the AUX cord. Annoying, but not an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app
I hear the initial pop too but not every time I skip tracks like the OP said.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't have that problem after the initial pop.

I am the same. I only hear it on the initial plug in (I would assume power or something causes it) but after it is fine... I can play music or whatever without issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Cleaned up some off topic posts. Please keep it on topic

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

mariemath

May 26, 2014
Visit site
This happens to me on my Galaxy s5. When there is a song change there is a popping noise like when you first connect the aux wire. It never happened on my Galaxy s2. I have tried different aux wires and no difference. It has nothing to do with my car either because this happens when I plug into Bose also. Doesnt happen with earbuds. So frustrating when you have a party and want music! Help.

pamplemoose5

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've solved the issue. The reason that it makes a pop sound in between songs, is because when power saving mode is on, it is turning off the speaker in between songs. Just turn off "power saving" mode in your settings pull down on your Samsung, and it won't make a pop sound anymore.

dlreade

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Nope, doesn't help to turn off power savings on my Note3. Still an incredibly annoying pop between every song. Anybody else got any ideas?

Trisram

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue when the aux cable is plugged in. The sound is all crackling and buzzing. But with headphones, it sounds great no problems. Anybody has a clue why is this?

The aux works fine with my iPad plugged in, but then when I plug in my note 4, it's making the noises again. And I just bought my note 4 a few days ago. I would hate to return it. It took me a while to get it customized and get all my media transferred to it. Because this is my first android, I have been using the iPhone before this. Thank you.

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I recently received my Note 3 yesterday and I've noticed that when I plug it into my car speakers via the AUX output, there is a really annoying pop noise. It happens when there hasn't been any sound output from the phone eg. when first unlocking it and clicking any buttons, it makes the pop noise. If you continue to use the phone it won't make the noise again but if you let it rest for a few seconds and click something else which makes a noise (apps, menu, alerts) it makes the pop noise again.

If the phone is set to vibrate/silent it doesn't happen.

Probably the most noticeable time it does this is when you skip tracks in the Music player and there's that pause at the end of the track so there's a constant pop pop popping.

Does anyone know if my phone is faulty or how to fix it? I don't think it's that noticeable when using earphones but using a car stereo system it definitely is (I've tried different aux cables/cars too but it has no effect).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a shielded cable? Earphones don't need shielding, but the input to an amp does. (Also make sure that the phone isn't plugged into the charger and the aux input at the same time - you could be creating a ground loop, which would feed all the noise from the car's electrical system into the aux input. Whether that happens depends on the car, some will and some won't.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs