Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By Jalopiejoe
  • 1 Post By Jalopiejoe
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 1st battery pull freeze!

    I'm a little freaked out, last night I was playing with my N3 and decided to do an AnTuTu performance test and part way through the screen went black, the back started to get hot and there was no way to shut it down. So I quickly pulled the case, back cover and battery.
    I reassembled it and it works just fine now.
    Any explanation on what might have caused this?
    Thanks!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Probably a process gone awry during the performance test. Bear in mind that these tests usually push your device to its limits, so the 'getting hot' part is quite expected. The lock-up, however, is not. If your phone is already working fine and, besides the test, it's not giving you any trouble, I wouldn't think much of it and just keep enjoying this super phone.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Since the Kit Kat update, I've had about 5 battery pulls compared to zero on 4.3.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Thanks for posting a selfie while you were still freaked out. Now we believe you.

    Good reaction to pull the battery.

    I hope you don't have a long term issue. I used AnTuTu a few times for fun. Sometimes it gets around 26000, most times 36000 and don't know the reason.
    I read on AC these scores are not really to be taken seriously. Nice to watch the graphics towards the end.
    Only game I have is Real Racing 3 which is impressive for the graphics and the gyro controls.

    I guess you will be recommended to clear data and uninstall AnTuTu, and clear cache in Recovery. Then maybe try it again if you're feeling brave.

    - So Android doesn't have a warning and a cut switch when things get too hot. That's not right! -

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Exaggerating since 756 BC

    Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Nah, you're perfectly fine. Those apps take the processors/memory/phone to the MAX. There is nothing to worry about. If you want to get the best scores possible, make sure to close out all running apps and clear memory.

    One other thing to Note (no pun intended or pun intended ) is that you had a case on the phone. When you are doing something very intensive on on a phone it will heat up substantially. With a case on, the phone may not have a place to dissipate the heat and the phone will go into a fail safe mode. This may be something that could've happened in your case (no pun intended or maybe pun intended DD)
    Thanked by 2:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Thanks for posting a selfie while you were still freaked out. Now we believe you.

    Good reaction to pull the battery.

    I hope you don't have a long term issue. I used AnTuTu a few times for fun. Sometimes it gets around 26000, most times 36000 and don't know the reason.
    I read on AC these scores are not really to be taken seriously. Nice to watch the graphics towards the end.
    Only game I have is Real Racing 3 which is impressive for the graphics and the gyro controls.

    I guess you will be recommended to clear data and uninstall AnTuTu, and clear cache in Recovery. Then maybe try it again if you're feeling brave.

    - So Android doesn't have a warning and a cut switch when things get too hot. That's not right! -

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    They do. If the phone gets TOO hot, it shuts off immediately. The thing is the temp these processors can stand is higher that they could a few years ago, so what might make you jump when it touches your hand is not necessarily life-threatening to your phone. It's just not healthy to let it run so hot for so long. But yeah, if things get to that extreme point, the phone will shut off.
    Thanked by 2:
    Madd54 and Jalopiejoe like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    They do. If the phone gets TOO hot, it shuts off immediately. The thing is the temp these processors can stand is higher that they could a few years ago, so what might make you jump when it touches your hand is not necessarily life-threatening to your phone. It's just not healthy to let it run so hot for so long. But yeah, if things get to that extreme point, the phone will shut off.
    This. All processors now a day shut off if they hit a certain temperature. It's been this way on PCs for along time.. To prevent damage.

    OP if you were running benchmark and it froze I wouldn't worry about it.. I'd only worry if it froze under normal conditions / use.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
    Thanked by 2:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deke218 View Post
    Since the Kit Kat update, I've had about 5 battery pulls compared to zero on 4.3.
    I haven't done any battery pulls.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Thanks for posting a selfie while you were still freaked out. Now we believe you.

    Good reaction to pull the battery.

    I hope you don't have a long term issue. I used AnTuTu a few times for fun. Sometimes it gets around 26000, most times 36000 and don't know the reason.
    I read on AC these scores are not really to be taken seriously. Nice to watch the graphics towards the end.
    Only game I have is Real Racing 3 which is impressive for the graphics and the gyro controls.

    I guess you will be recommended to clear data and uninstall AnTuTu, and clear cache in Recovery. Then maybe try it again if you're feeling brave.

    - So Android doesn't have a warning and a cut switch when things get too hot. That's not right! -

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Got brave (or stupid) cleared everything and tried it again and got 36196 with no noticeable temperature increase. I guess I'm done.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    That's looking alright then. Good to learn it will shut down, as I had always assumed it would.
    I have had mine in a Terrapin flip-over case since new, which has a strong plastic main casing with slits and covered by faux leather, so it's nowhere near as heat inducing as a thick rugged type case.
    So I have hardly felt my phone get hot once.
    Coincidentally I put my phone temporarily on the car dashboard yesterday in a car park, where the temperature through the glass was extremely high. So I was wondering how long before it would virtually melt internally. Luckily (or unluckily) we get very few of these days throughout the year; whereas in the US.....

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Exaggerating since 756 BC

    Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    That's looking alright then. Good to learn it will shut down, as I had always assumed it would.
    I have had mine in a Terrapin flip-over case since new, which has a strong plastic main casing with slits and covered by faux leather, so it's nowhere near as heat inducing as a thick rugged type case.
    So I have hardly felt my phone get hot once.
    Coincidentally I put my phone temporarily on the car dashboard yesterday in a car park, where the temperature through the glass was extremely high. So I was wondering how long before it would virtually melt internally. Luckily (or unluckily) we get very few of these days throughout the year; whereas in the US.....

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for the reply Madd54.
    I live in Phoenix Arizona, you can not leave your phone on the dash! The high temp predicted for today is 100 degrees.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    Thanks. I had to reply again. My one visit to the US was an October. LA - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - PCH - San Fran. Beautiful, hot and sunny, just dark early - 6.30 ish.
    I arrived at Williams early evening after a stop at Hoover Dam, another beautiful day. Checked in at the motel, Comfort Inn possibly, and was directed to park around the rear where my room was. Surprised there were long lumps of black gravel between cars. Got out to walk to the trunk and fell flat on my face on thick ice. WTH. Blow me down with a feather!

    I know Phoenix is much further south. I should have visited there and Lake Havasu rather than Spend the last 5 days in SF. Still a great trip.
    100 in early April. Hot stuff.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Exaggerating since 756 BC

    Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial
    Thanked by:
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 1st battery pull freeze!

    I have yet to do a "battery pull".. I have done restarts, and that solves the few issues I have on my Note 3 since 0ct 2013

    Samsung Galaxy Note 4/32gb/Black/128gb SD Card (Batman)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4/16gb/Black/64gb SD Card
    Samsung Galaxy Gear S Black(Robin)

    Sennheiser M2 Wireless
    Sony MDR 1RBTMK2
    Harman Kardon BT
    74, old, dirty and fast!!
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Similar Threads

  1. Note 2: Need a quality stock replacement battery
    By evobassfish in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 09:06 PM
  2. whether Galaxy S5 a solid phone with long battery life??
    By qwertykey in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 01:20 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
  4. Galaxy S4: Battery Issue
    By revjasonblanton in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM
  5. battery dropping too 99%
    By pow8612 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions