Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jnnyr
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By ehosey2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS on Note 3

Bought a Note 3 and have been putting it through it's paces to see if I'll keep it and one of the main features I need is the GPS.
    I have my SG4 running side by side and with just the GPS enabled waited to see how long it took to acquire a sat. Again,
    both phones with only the GPS running (no wifi or cell data).

I tried this first inside a house and the SG4 took 20 seconds to lock in on the sat.
    the Note took 5 minutes to get in the general area of where I am and now it's been over 10 minutes and it is still trying to pinpoint me.

I tried the same test with a clear shot to the skies with similar lag on the Note.
    This reminds me of why I hated the Sg3 and why I was happy to finally upgrade to the 4. Needless to say I'll be selling this on Fleebay
    next week.

Btw, I must say the SG4 is far and away the best phone I've ever used with regards to the GPS feature. In every situation I get a sat lock almost instantaneously.
    My one and only beef is the camera is not as good as the SG3. The focus IR sucks and more often than not takes blurry pics. This is where the SG3 excelled.

Default Re: GPS on Note 3

you should not be getting a 5 minute lag for gps lock on the note 3 if outdoors. something is wrong. you can get it replaced under warranty.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    you should not be getting a 5 minute lag for gps lock on the note 3 if outdoors. something is wrong. you can get it replaced under warranty.
    You're absolutely correct that 5 minutes is an issue.
    While I agree with you that it may be warranty resolvable, I've lived through the SG3 fiasco with Samsung's GPS issues. I suspect from all the posts I've seen on tons of user forums that this is inherent to the Note 3. Samsung is rather notorious for their poor radios inside their units. If I had a hard time finding other people who suffered from this issue I'd be willing to deal with the warranty however, this seems rather prevalent. Not sure I want to be Samsungs beta tester.
    Madd54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jnnyr View Post
    You're absolutely correct that 5 minutes is an issue.
    While I agree with you that it may be warranty resolvable, I've lived through the SG3 fiasco with Samsung's GPS issues. I suspect from all the posts I've seen on tons of user forums that this is inherent to the Note 3. Samsung is rather notorious for their poor radios inside their units. If I had a hard time finding other people who suffered from this issue I'd be willing to deal with the warranty however, this seems rather prevalent. Not sure I want to be Samsungs beta tester.
    I use gps every day on my note 3 and out locks on in about 10-20 seconds. Sure some people have problems with gps but those who choose to get a warranty replacement usually find that the problem is fixed.

Also the radio inside my Samsung Galaxy Note II was better than my HTC and Motorola devices. So ymmv, depending on device. The s3 radio wasn't great though.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Spencerdl likes this.

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

It was not specified from which carrier this Note 3 is from. And while some users had real problems with the AT&T version's GPS, the 4.4.2 update seems to have resolved most of the GPS lost issue. It was not affecting every AT&T Note 3 though as I can say I have had zero GPS issues since I have bought the Note 3 some 2 months ago. And your 5 minute signal lock time is NOT normal so it sounds like a problem with that particular device.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.
    Thanked by:
    Spencerdl likes this.

I also use my Verizon Note3's GPS on a regular basis with no problems as well as my S3 when I had that device. The Radios on my Samsung devices (only two) have worked well for me on the Verizon network.

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

My Note 3 as well as my wife's and both the Note 2's we used to have work on AT&T with a strong signal and have been very reliable. Also I believe the Note 3 GPS that I use works perfect where as the Note 2 I used to have dropped its signal on a couple occasions.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.

i'm having the same issue. I replaced my note 3 twice because of this problem, and it worked fine on my refurb. note 3 for a few days. Now it's having the same problem again. I traveled to Denver, and it was working fine there. I returned to Seattle and tried to use it, and my gps would not lock, and also it keeps losing signals. I'm not sure what's causing this issue.

Hmm, just checked mine. I normally have gps turned off until I need it, so, starting from scratch, turning gps on then opening Google maps and finding my location took less than 10 seconds... I'm on EE(tmobile) UK

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app