Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By JRDroid
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By JRDroid
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By JRDroid
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By JRDroid
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By JimSmith94
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 1 Post By JimSmith94
  • 1 Post By JRDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car solutions.

I am looking for a simple solution for using my phone in my car. Basically all I want is some sort of always listening voice commands (similar to the Moto X Active Listening) and something that will read my texts to me and let me respond without touching my phone. I know that, in theory, S-Voice does this, but I have a couple issues with S-Voice. Firstly, I cannot use "Hi, Galaxy" to activate S-Voice in my car. I have no idea why, but S-Voice disables that feature when connected to my car's bluetooth and wants me to tap the screen to activate it. My Moto X worked just fine connected to my car's bluetooth. Secondly, I'd prefer something that used Google Now to compose my responses because it is better than S-Voice. Google gets my texts right on the first try about 90% of the time, S-Voice gets it about 50% of the time. I tried Car Home Ultra and promptly uninstalled it. It is not at all what I'm looking for. Unless maybe I just did not see where it would do exactly what I am asking about.

Any ideas?
    Kdbil likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Default Re: Car solutions.

CHU is pretty much designed for docking your phone physically, but it can also work with Bluetooth connection detection as well, however, that's not what you're looking for, if I read your post correctly.

The S-Voice issue is easy to address. This is how I did it. Settings>>General>>Application Manager>> All>>S-Voice>> "Disable"

That will cause Google Now to pop up when you summon Voice Command

I had the same issue as you, where S-voice disables the voice command feature - which is why I disabled it.

CHU is a great app, if you're using a dock. If you're not, it's not really going to do much more for you. Dock mode is a great feature when used with CHU because it will put your phone into the "docked state" and automate certain things for you, instead of having to do them manually each time you get into your car, but you really need a dock as well, to fully benefit from "dock mode".

As far as having your mail /texts etc...being read to you, I think "Hands Free mode" will give you what you want.
    Kdbil likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    CHU is pretty much designed for docking your phone physically, but it can also work with Bluetooth connection detection as well, however, that's not what you're looking for, if I read your post correctly.

The S-Voice issue is easy to address. This is how I did it. Settings>>General>>Application Manager>> All>>S-Voice>> "Disable"

I had the same issue as you, where S-voice disables the voice command feature - which is why I disabled it.

CHU is a great app, if you're using a dock. If you're not, it's not really going to do much more for you. Dock mode is a great feature when used with CHU because it will put your phone into the "docked state" and automate certain things for you, instead of having to do them manually each time you get into your car, but you really need a dock as well, to fully benefit from "dock mode".

As far as having your mail /texts etc...being read to you, I think "Hands Free mode" will give you what you want.
    Okay, I had Google working for voice commands, but want sure if hands free mode would work with S-Voice disabled

Posted via Android Central App
    Kdbil likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Well, I'm not sure either to be honest...I have never even tried that function, but I would think it could work with either voice recognition app. I guess you'll try it and let us know!

EDIT:

With S-Voice disabled, it will tell me the name of the incoming caller...

I have not been able to get it to tell me the name of the sender when an e-mail comes in and I think it's supposed to.

You may have some work ahead of you!
    Kdbil likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, I'm not sure either to be honest...I have never even tried that function, but I would think it could work with either voice recognition app. I guess you'll try it and let us know!

EDIT:

With S-Voice disabled, it will tell me the name of the incoming caller...

I have not been able to get it to tell me the name of the sender when an e-mail comes in and I think it's supposed to.

You may have some work ahead of you!
    I think I have it figured out. I have a button to trigger voice commands on my steering wheel (intended for Siri, didn't work well with Moto X) that works, so I do not need the "hi, galaxy" function while driving. I cannot disable S-Voice (the option is greyed out), so I downloaded an app called "S for Switch Voice Pro" (there is also a free version). What this app does is immediately launch Google Voice Search any time that S-Voice tries to access the microphone. This solves my car issue. Additionally, I can now launch Google Voice Search by double tapping the home button or saying "Hi, Galaxy" when the screen is off or locked. Gives it identical functionality to the Moto X active listening, which is something I was going to miss and now don't have to give it up!

Kdbil likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

You can't disable S-voice? Are you on KitKat or Jelly Bean? Surprising to me...I've always been able to disable it in the Application manager. In any case, seems like you found a good solution!
    Kdbil likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

You can't disable S-voice? Are you on KitKat or Jelly Bean? Surprising to me...I've always been able to disable it in the Application manager. In any case, seems like you found a good solution!
    KitKat. I've turned off a bunch of the other bloat wear, but can't turn off S-Voice

Kdbil likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

That's what I figured...I'm running on JellyBean and I can disable it.

I just posted in your WiFi thread what I found about this particular after updating to KitKat...
    Kdbil likes this.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

What is this "CHU" app you mentioned? I can't seem to find it with a Google search.
    Kdbil likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Car Home Ultra
    Kdbil likes this.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

Car Home Ultra
    Thanks, it dawned on me just before I came back to this thread.
    Kdbil likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

That's what I figured...I'm running on JellyBean and I can disable it.

I just posted in your WiFi thread what I found about this particular after updating to KitKat...
    I did a factory reset on my phone yesterday. The person I had purchased it from did one to remove their information, but I thought maybe they had skipped something in the setup process that was causing this (or other) issues I was having. Low and behold, I try to say "Hi, Galaxy" while my phone was connected to my car's Bluetooth and it wakes the phone and launched Google Voice Search (thanks to the app I found). Perfect. Just how my Moto X used to work. I added Agent to replace Moto Assist and it has a car mode that will read my texts out loud and respond via Google. I'm up and running!

Thank you for all your help in this and my other threads. There are a significant number of differences between stock Android and TouchWiz! I've been using Android (off and on, but mostly on) since 2009, but mostly Motorolas and HTCs. I did not think I would have to ask this many questions switching to a new phone!
    Kdbil likes this.