Note 3 plus a Samsung tablet. What Pros's?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking again of getting a tablet. Probably the Tab Pro 8.4.

If you have both a Note 3 and any Samsung Tablet, what do you use the Tablet for? I'm looking at wifi only tabets atm.

I want easier full web page browsing and better S-Pen and Multi Window usage.**

The Note Pro 12.2 displays full pages extremely well but is currently very expensive, and not as portable?

Goes without saying video will be nicer to watch on a larger screen. Pro's are 2k but similar ppi?

A Tab Pro 8.4 seems like a larger screen Note 3 spec wise, without phone capability, lower 2gb ram and newer TouchWiz UI.
Speaker placement is still not brilliant apparently but doesn't bother me.

The 2013 Tab 3 8.0 is a nice tablet at a great price, but is low resolution so probably no advantage really over a Note 3 phone?

I know some of you have a Samsung tablet. Any old Samsung tablet. Why?
Thanks.

On Edit: **of course the Tab range does not have the S-Pen, I forgot: but doesn't have S-Notes either(?), so the Note 3 wouldn't compliment them very well.
A rethink needed. :-$
I still like the Tab Pro 8.4 and it's price range though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Fruuk

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and a Note Pro 12.2.

I bought the Note Pro 12.2 because I loved the idea of having a large screen to take notes on at work. I like taking hand written notes in my personal scrawl and the Note 3 wasn't substantial enough on its own.

I use S Note which synchronises perfectly with my Note 3 so I can read my notes at home and make edits using the portability of the Note 3. I've loving the combination of the two devices which work perfectly for my needs.

Posted via Android Central App

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I still use the Note 8.0 that I bought in July 2013. I like the design better than the newer tablets like the 8.4 Pro due to the bezel differences. It is easier to hold. And when laying around on the couch the Note 8.0 is easier to hold compared to a Note 3. I do appreciate the bigger screen size of the Note 8.0 which makes video viewing obviously better. It may not have the highest resolution but it still looks nice. I still enjoy using the Note 8.0 and to me the Note 8.0 and Note 3 provide enough differences that they both are used very much. I have not considered a tablet that is bigger and would not replace the Note 8.0 but would consider it if a new 8 to 9 inch Note PRO tablet was released. I do use the S Notes so the current 8.4 Pro is not an option.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I bought the Note Pro 12.2 because I loved the idea of having a large screen to take notes on at work. I like taking hand written notes in my personal scrawl and the Note 3 wasn't substantial enough on its own.
I use S Note which synchronises perfectly with my Note 3 so I can read my notes at home and make edits using the portability of the Note 3. I've loving the combination of the two devices which work perfectly for my needs.

Thanks Fruuk. That's very useful. I was originally thinking of the Note 10.1 2014 with the high res screen, which was the same price as the new Tab Pro 8.4 is now before Christmas.
I used the 12.2 in store and it really is the Daddy. So they complement each other. That's the ideal then. I really could live with the 12.2" size after all, especially when travelling and staying away.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I still use the Note 8.0 that I bought in July 2013. I like the design better than the newer tablets like the 8.4 Pro due to the bezel differences. It is easier to hold. And when laying around on the couch the Note 8.0 is easier to hold compared to a Note 3. I do appreciate the bigger screen size of the Note 8 which makes video viewing obviously better. It may not have the highest resolution but it still looks nice. I still enjoy using the Note 8.0 and to me the Note 8.0 and Note 3 provide enough differences that they both are used very much. I have not considered a tablet that is bigger and would not replace the Note 8.0 but would consider it if a new 8 to 9 inch Note PRO tablet was released. I do use the S Notes so the current 8.4 Pro is not an option.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

Thanks ehosey2. I was in discussion with a reviewer on Amazon with a Tab 3 8.0 after the Note 8 came down to only ?50 more. He found the Tab good for him but we both noticed the Note 8 would be easier to hold with the larger bezel. Glad you like the screen. I couldn't fault the res and preferred it overall to the Nexus 7 2013.
I have to re-write my OP of course as the Tab's /Tab Pro's don't have a S-Pen (dumbo - me), but for ?349 the lack of it wouldn't bother me too much. Lack of S-Notes is probably more of a block however. I may have to rethink the costs, or wait a while. Note 3 will integrate better with a Note tablet.
Thanks both.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and a Note Pro.

I use the Note Pro for everything, I ditched my laptop.
Business wise, it's estimates, bids on jobs, invoices, time sheets, working with PDFs a lot.
For personal use it's surfing the net, messaging, watching videos, online shopping, forum hopping, Facebook etc.

Just today I had to go to a meeting and I downloaded educational material, edited a bunch of things, created documents. Took a million notes, too. Then things got kinda boring so I started messaging friends, checking emails and looking for stuff on Amazon.

I can't find anything wrong with this tablet. I carry a backpack so its size is of no consequence to me: it fits in just fine and when I need to use it, I have this great big screen to enjoy.

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

How's the twelve inch to use in a business setting? Not to big? Heavy?

Sent from Tapatalk.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and a Note Pro.

I use the Note Pro for everything, I ditched my laptop.
Business wise, it's estimates, bids on jobs, invoices, time sheets, working with PDFs a lot.
For personal use it's surfing the net, messaging, watching videos, online shopping, forum hopping, Facebook etc.

Just today I had to go to a meeting and I downloaded educational material, edited a bunch of things, created documents. Took a million notes, too. Then things got kinda boring so I started messaging friends, checking emails and looking for stuff on Amazon.

I can't find anything wrong with this tablet. I carry a backpack so its size is of no consequence to me: it fits in just fine and when I need to use it, I have this great big screen to enjoy.

Great. Now I have to find or wait for another ?300+ for the 12.2. :)
I don't work from an office set up. What kind of document software do you like. Have you switched to the free Microsoft Office Mobile. I don't like Polaris on small screens, and I tried one or two others. Word editing or pdf's are silly on even a Note 3 size, it needs larger or you're scrolling all the time.
Thanks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
And never start a thread title on a phone screen in a bar..
... Pros's should have read Pro's.

Last edited:

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I I have the note 3,8 and 12.2

I love syncing my notes and scrapbooker with my 3 and 12.2.my 8 is still used when about and even at home as it is more portable and it's great to use. The 12.2 is best used watching things and on YouTube. I tend to use the s pen more on my 12.2 too. It's great when looking for holidays or data out or menus at restaurants for example.

The note 8 while the oldest is such a great device even if the screen isn't on par with the other two. Perfect for just relaxing checking something briefly without having to hold it more carefully like you do with the 12.2

Both my tablets are certainly used at different times

As you can tell I'm now a note only man now

As somebody who uses s Note for many work log ins and details it's great using it to log down different things. I'm. Also using it now to log down my insanity fitness tests improvements.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Geddit, no never mind. :)

I am thinking again of getting a tablet. Probably the Tab Pro 8.4.
If you have both a Note 3 and any Samsung Tablet, what do you use the Tablet for? I'm talking wifi only tabets atm.

I want easier full web page browsing and better S-Pen and Multi Window utilage (not sure if that's a word).

The Note Pro 12.2 displays full pages very well but is too expensive, and not as portable.
Goes without saying video will be nicer to watch on a larger screen. Pro's are 2k but similar ppi? Is a Tab Pro 8.4 a larger screen Note 3 spec wise, without phone capability and 2gb ram. Speaker placement is still not brilliant apparently but don't bother me.

The 2013 Tab 3 8.0 is a nice tablet but low resolution so no advantage really over a Note 3 phone?

I know some of you have a Samsung tablet. Any old Samsung tablet. Why?
Thanks.

On Edit: of course the Tab range don't have the S-Pen, I forgot, but don't have S-Notes either, so the Note 3 wouldn't compliment them very well.
A rethink needed. Still like the Tab Pro 8.4 and the price though.

My husband has the note 3 and the note 8 tablet. He says that he prefers the tablet for extended reading (he spends at least 3 hours a day reading the news), he also prefers it for reading recipes whilst he is cooking. The note 3 he really likes for day to day on the go - taking notes, multitasking - but he seems to prefer the tablet for when he is doing something for an extended period of time (reading, watching netflix).

He contemplated the note 10 but when we went into the store to test them out he wanted something that he could easily hold in one hand whilst eating/drinking/writing with the other. His is wifi only also - which was a problem when he had his old phone as he was wanting to use the tablet for more whilst we were travelling but since he got the note 3 that problem has disappeared.

He does like having the ability to take notes on both the tablet and phone because he constantly takes notes (he's a list maker for everything he does for his business etc). He has a desktop for work but he likes the ability of getting to view emails whilst on the go.

I don't have a Samsung tablet - I have an ipad 2 but my usage differs from my husband. My ipad these days has become strictly a netflix/amazon prime viewing screen. I prefer to read the news on my phone and whilst I'm watching stuff on my ipad I'm looking at my phone reading stuff or looking stuff up (reading this forum has become addictive! Ha).

I initially bought my ipad for travelling, I got sick of lumping my laptop from California back to Scotland and vice versa.

You may want to consider the note 10 (or rather a 10" tablet) if you want better Web page viewing. I say this because my husband, now a year later, is considering the 10 because he feels that the 8 just isn't big enough for the lengthy reading/Web viewing he does.

Sorry for blabbering on!

Sarks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
My husband has the note 3 and the note 8 tablet. He says that he prefers the tablet for extended reading (he spends at least 3 hours a day reading the news), he also prefers it for reading recipes whilst he is cooking. The note 3 he really likes for day to day on the go - taking notes, multitasking - but he seems to prefer the tablet for when he is doing something for an extended period of time (reading, watching netflix).

He contemplated the note 10 but when we went into the store to test them out he wanted something that he could easily hold in one hand whilst eating/drinking/writing with the other. His is wifi only also - which was a problem when he had his old phone as he was wanting to use the tablet for more whilst we were travelling but since he got the note 3 that problem has disappeared.

He does like having the ability to take notes on both the tablet and phone because he constantly takes notes (he's a list maker for everything he does for his business etc). He has a desktop for work but he likes the ability of getting to view emails whilst on the go.

I don't have a Samsung tablet - I have an ipad 2 but my usage differs from my husband. My ipad these days has become strictly a netflix/amazon prime viewing screen. I prefer to read the news on my phone and whilst I'm watching stuff on my ipad I'm looking at my phone reading stuff or looking stuff up (reading this forum has become addictive! Ha).

I initially bought my ipad for travelling, I got sick of lumping my laptop from California back to Scotland and vice versa.

You may want to consider the note 10 (or rather a 10" tablet) if you want better Web page viewing. I say this because my husband, now a year later, is considering the 10 because he feels that the 8 just isn't big enough for the lengthy reading/Web viewing he does.

Sorry for blabbering on!

Sarks.

Yes. Thanks a lot.
I like the physical size of the 8/8.4" but I may be unhappy with reading full web pages on it, though the new one has a very high resolution.
* - But 'Hubby' :) prefers the Note 8 for extended reading. - *

So a new Note 10.1 or the 12.2 may be the best choices, but I'm not sure I want it that much. I will keep an eye on the 10.1 prices.
Android Central is a good example as there is a lot more info on the main web page and I look at it on a pc when I am home.

I really wanted to know too if owners use the Note 3 on its own most of the time.
You still need bigger screens or a pc, and the size of that screen depends on your own balance between portability and readability.

@the game161 - you use the Note 8 still even with the 12.2 but the 12.2 is better with the S-Pen, that's what I was thinking.
12.2 being newer, costlier and higher spec of course, and a new UI.

Last edited:

jamieb193

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a note 10.1 and note 3. I use the tablet for drawing, watching videos and Web browsing inside the house

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the note 10.1 2014 edition and while I Err like it I find the battery life a lot worse then an iPad where I could get around 10-12 hours of screen. I also don't like the lcd screen vs the amoled of the note 3. I also had to exchange one for light bleeding and even have it on the new one

Other then those issues I love the tablet. Watching movies, Web browsing, drawing, and reading magazines and etc is much better

Sent from my SM-N900T

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 3.0 and the Note 10.1 2014 edition (both Verizon LTE). I'm just now mastering the concept of keeping all of my handwritten notes synced through Evernote. It has actually been a productivity enhancement that is hard to describe.

I absolutely love both devices, but I still find it challenging typing long messages on either. That's probably why I'm posting this using my Blackberry Q10. Of course, I've been a slave to a tactile keyboard since Blackberry was merely a glorified pager.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Me too with a preference for tactile keyboards. I never got used to a GS2, the Note 3 I can type on faster (SwiftKey) but not error free.
So that in theory would be another advantage of a larger screen; but I think with the 12.2 I would start thinking of a physical keyboard, there's probably a good one for the 10.1 2014 as well. More money.
My thanks to you and @closingracer, the 10.1 2014 seems to be the sweetspot if the price is right. It's been out longer and still has the N3 style UI, I think. I have to get in to a store to look at the size again.
I'm not too worried about battery life, but maybe they cut corners with the screen.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Me too with a preference for tactile keyboards. I never got used to a GS2, the Note 3 I can type on faster (SwiftKey) but not error free.
So that in theory would be another advantage of a larger screen; but I think with the 12.2 I would start thinking of a physical keyboard, there's probably a good one for the 10.1 2014 as well. More money.
My thanks to you and @closingracer, the 10.1 2014 seems to be the sweetspot if the price is right. It's been out longer and still has the N3 style UI, I think. I have to get in to a store to look at the size again.
I'm not too worried about battery life, but maybe they cut corners with the screen.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Newegg sells them new For $549 ( for the 32GB model) or $499 (16GB model) which beats bestbuy in 2 areas price and no Tax (for me at least and i live in NYC which is rare to find these days :) )

Also noticed Amazon sells one that is basically an open box ( Used as they would put it) for about $100 cheaper if you dont mind it open

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on my 10.1 2014 LTE version is absolutely, positively insane. I'm getting days out of a single charge with moderate use.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
eduvy9y5.jpg

byveraje.jpg

Lol my note 3 decided to post that Sideways but those are the prices for the amazon warehouse ones. These are the 32GB version on Black mind you
Sent from my SM-N900T

- - - Updated - - -

The battery life on my 10.1 2014 LTE version is absolutely, positively insane. I'm getting days out of a single charge with moderate use.

TBH so far it is pretty sad.... yesterday i had 3 hours of Screen time till got the battery down to the 30% battery life

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay