Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 plus a Samsung tablet. What Pros's?

I am thinking again of getting a tablet. Probably the Tab Pro 8.4.

If you have both a Note 3 and any Samsung Tablet, what do you use the Tablet for? I'm looking at wifi only tabets atm.

I want easier full web page browsing and better S-Pen and Multi Window usage.**

The Note Pro 12.2 displays full pages extremely well but is currently very expensive, and not as portable?

Goes without saying video will be nicer to watch on a larger screen. Pro's are 2k but similar ppi?

A Tab Pro 8.4 seems like a larger screen Note 3 spec wise, without phone capability, lower 2gb ram and newer TouchWiz UI.
    Speaker placement is still not brilliant apparently but doesn't bother me.

The 2013 Tab 3 8.0 is a nice tablet at a great price, but is low resolution so probably no advantage really over a Note 3 phone?

I know some of you have a Samsung tablet. Any old Samsung tablet. Why?
    Thanks.

On Edit: **of course the Tab range does not have the S-Pen, I forgot: but doesn't have S-Notes either(?), so the Note 3 wouldn't compliment them very well.
    A rethink needed.
    I still like the Tab Pro 8.4 and it's price range though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Madd54; 04-13-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: errors - tidy
    I know nothing.

Default Re: Note 3 plus a Samsung tablet. What Pros's?

I have a Note 3 and a Note Pro 12.2.

I bought the Note Pro 12.2 because I loved the idea of having a large screen to take notes on at work. I like taking hand written notes in my personal scrawl and the Note 3 wasn't substantial enough on its own.

I use S Note which synchronises perfectly with my Note 3 so I can read my notes at home and make edits using the portability of the Note 3. I've loving the combination of the two devices which work perfectly for my needs.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    emad1995, Madd54 and jamieb193 like this.

Global Posts
    528 Global Posts

I still use the Note 8.0 that I bought in July 2013. I like the design better than the newer tablets like the 8.4 Pro due to the bezel differences. It is easier to hold. And when laying around on the couch the Note 8.0 is easier to hold compared to a Note 3. I do appreciate the bigger screen size of the Note 8.0 which makes video viewing obviously better. It may not have the highest resolution but it still looks nice. I still enjoy using the Note 8.0 and to me the Note 8.0 and Note 3 provide enough differences that they both are used very much. I have not considered a tablet that is bigger and would not replace the Note 8.0 but would consider it if a new 8 to 9 inch Note PRO tablet was released. I do use the S Notes so the current 8.4 Pro is not an option.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.
    Last edited by ehosey2; 04-12-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Fruuk View Post

I bought the Note Pro 12.2 because I loved the idea of having a large screen to take notes on at work. I like taking hand written notes in my personal scrawl and the Note 3 wasn't substantial enough on its own.
    I use S Note which synchronises perfectly with my Note 3 so I can read my notes at home and make edits using the portability of the Note 3. I've loving the combination of the two devices which work perfectly for my needs.

Thanks Fruuk. That's very useful. I was originally thinking of the Note 10.1 2014 with the high res screen, which was the same price as the new Tab Pro 8.4 is now before Christmas.
    I used the 12.2 in store and it really is the Daddy. So they complement each other. That's the ideal then. I really could live with the 12.2" size after all, especially when travelling and staying away.
    I know nothing.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    I still use the Note 8.0 that I bought in July 2013. I like the design better than the newer tablets like the 8.4 Pro due to the bezel differences. It is easier to hold. And when laying around on the couch the Note 8.0 is easier to hold compared to a Note 3. I do appreciate the bigger screen size of the Note 8 which makes video viewing obviously better. It may not have the highest resolution but it still looks nice. I still enjoy using the Note 8.0 and to me the Note 8.0 and Note 3 provide enough differences that they both are used very much. I have not considered a tablet that is bigger and would not replace the Note 8.0 but would consider it if a new 8 to 9 inch Note PRO tablet was released. I do use the S Notes so the current 8.4 Pro is not an option.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.
    Thanks ehosey2. I was in discussion with a reviewer on Amazon with a Tab 3 8.0 after the Note 8 came down to only 50 more. He found the Tab good for him but we both noticed the Note 8 would be easier to hold with the larger bezel. Glad you like the screen. I couldn't fault the res and preferred it overall to the Nexus 7 2013.
    I have to re-write my OP of course as the Tab's /Tab Pro's don't have a S-Pen (dumbo - me), but for 349 the lack of it wouldn't bother me too much. Lack of S-Notes is probably more of a block however. I may have to rethink the costs, or wait a while. Note 3 will integrate better with a Note tablet.
    Thanks both.
    I know nothing.

I have a Note 3 and a Note Pro.

I use the Note Pro for everything, I ditched my laptop.
    Business wise, it's estimates, bids on jobs, invoices, time sheets, working with PDFs a lot.
    For personal use it's surfing the net, messaging, watching videos, online shopping, forum hopping, Facebook etc.

Just today I had to go to a meeting and I downloaded educational material, edited a bunch of things, created documents. Took a million notes, too. Then things got kinda boring so I started messaging friends, checking emails and looking for stuff on Amazon.

I can't find anything wrong with this tablet. I carry a backpack so its size is of no consequence to me: it fits in just fine and when I need to use it, I have this great big screen to enjoy.
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    lpt2569 and Madd54 like this.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fruuk View Post

How's the twelve inch to use in a business setting? Not to big? Heavy?

Sent from Tapatalk.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    I have a Note 3 and a Note Pro.

I use the Note Pro for everything, I ditched my laptop.
    Business wise, it's estimates, bids on jobs, invoices, time sheets, working with PDFs a lot.
    For personal use it's surfing the net, messaging, watching videos, online shopping, forum hopping, Facebook etc.

Just today I had to go to a meeting and I downloaded educational material, edited a bunch of things, created documents. Took a million notes, too. Then things got kinda boring so I started messaging friends, checking emails and looking for stuff on Amazon.

I can't find anything wrong with this tablet. I carry a backpack so its size is of no consequence to me: it fits in just fine and when I need to use it, I have this great big screen to enjoy.
    Great. Now I have to find or wait for another 300+ for the 12.2.
    I don't work from an office set up. What kind of document software do you like. Have you switched to the free Microsoft Office Mobile. I don't like Polaris on small screens, and I tried one or two others. Word editing or pdf's are silly on even a Note 3 size, it needs larger or you're scrolling all the time.
    Thanks.
    I know nothing.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

And never start a thread title on a phone screen in a bar..
    ... Pros's should have read Pro's.

Last edited by Madd54; 04-13-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    I know nothing.

I I have the note 3,8 and 12.2

I love syncing my notes and scrapbooker with my 3 and 12.2.my 8 is still used when about and even at home as it is more portable and it's great to use. The 12.2 is best used watching things and on YouTube. I tend to use the s pen more on my 12.2 too. It's great when looking for holidays or data out or menus at restaurants for example.

The note 8 while the oldest is such a great device even if the screen isn't on par with the other two. Perfect for just relaxing checking something briefly without having to hold it more carefully like you do with the 12.2

Both my tablets are certainly used at different times

As you can tell I'm now a note only man now

As somebody who uses s Note for many work log ins and details it's great using it to log down different things. I'm. Also using it now to log down my insanity fitness tests improvements.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickinVA View Post
    How's the twelve inch to use in a business setting? Not to big? Heavy?

Sent from Tapatalk.
    For the size, the 12.2 is quite light and not as tough to hold as you would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Geddit, no never mind.

I am thinking again of getting a tablet. Probably the Tab Pro 8.4.
    If you have both a Note 3 and any Samsung Tablet, what do you use the Tablet for? I'm talking wifi only tabets atm.

I want easier full web page browsing and better S-Pen and Multi Window utilage (not sure if that's a word).

The Note Pro 12.2 displays full pages very well but is too expensive, and not as portable.
    Goes without saying video will be nicer to watch on a larger screen. Pro's are 2k but similar ppi? Is a Tab Pro 8.4 a larger screen Note 3 spec wise, without phone capability and 2gb ram. Speaker placement is still not brilliant apparently but don't bother me.

The 2013 Tab 3 8.0 is a nice tablet but low resolution so no advantage really over a Note 3 phone?

I know some of you have a Samsung tablet. Any old Samsung tablet. Why?
    Thanks.

On Edit: of course the Tab range don't have the S-Pen, I forgot, but don't have S-Notes either, so the Note 3 wouldn't compliment them very well.
    A rethink needed. Still like the Tab Pro 8.4 and the price though.

My husband has the note 3 and the note 8 tablet. He says that he prefers the tablet for extended reading (he spends at least 3 hours a day reading the news), he also prefers it for reading recipes whilst he is cooking. The note 3 he really likes for day to day on the go - taking notes, multitasking - but he seems to prefer the tablet for when he is doing something for an extended period of time (reading, watching netflix).

He contemplated the note 10 but when we went into the store to test them out he wanted something that he could easily hold in one hand whilst eating/drinking/writing with the other. His is wifi only also - which was a problem when he had his old phone as he was wanting to use the tablet for more whilst we were travelling but since he got the note 3 that problem has disappeared.

He does like having the ability to take notes on both the tablet and phone because he constantly takes notes (he's a list maker for everything he does for his business etc). He has a desktop for work but he likes the ability of getting to view emails whilst on the go.

I don't have a Samsung tablet - I have an ipad 2 but my usage differs from my husband. My ipad these days has become strictly a netflix/amazon prime viewing screen. I prefer to read the news on my phone and whilst I'm watching stuff on my ipad I'm looking at my phone reading stuff or looking stuff up (reading this forum has become addictive! Ha).

I initially bought my ipad for travelling, I got sick of lumping my laptop from California back to Scotland and vice versa.

You may want to consider the note 10 (or rather a 10" tablet) if you want better Web page viewing. I say this because my husband, now a year later, is considering the 10 because he feels that the 8 just isn't big enough for the lengthy reading/Web viewing he does.

Sorry for blabbering on!

Sarks.

Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by sarkycow View Post
    My husband has the note 3 and the note 8 tablet. He says that he prefers the tablet for extended reading (he spends at least 3 hours a day reading the news), he also prefers it for reading recipes whilst he is cooking. The note 3 he really likes for day to day on the go - taking notes, multitasking - but he seems to prefer the tablet for when he is doing something for an extended period of time (reading, watching netflix).

He contemplated the note 10 but when we went into the store to test them out he wanted something that he could easily hold in one hand whilst eating/drinking/writing with the other. His is wifi only also - which was a problem when he had his old phone as he was wanting to use the tablet for more whilst we were travelling but since he got the note 3 that problem has disappeared.

He does like having the ability to take notes on both the tablet and phone because he constantly takes notes (he's a list maker for everything he does for his business etc). He has a desktop for work but he likes the ability of getting to view emails whilst on the go.

I don't have a Samsung tablet - I have an ipad 2 but my usage differs from my husband. My ipad these days has become strictly a netflix/amazon prime viewing screen. I prefer to read the news on my phone and whilst I'm watching stuff on my ipad I'm looking at my phone reading stuff or looking stuff up (reading this forum has become addictive! Ha).

I initially bought my ipad for travelling, I got sick of lumping my laptop from California back to Scotland and vice versa.

You may want to consider the note 10 (or rather a 10" tablet) if you want better Web page viewing. I say this because my husband, now a year later, is considering the 10 because he feels that the 8 just isn't big enough for the lengthy reading/Web viewing he does.

Sorry for blabbering on!

Sarks.

Yes. Thanks a lot.
    I like the physical size of the 8/8.4" but I may be unhappy with reading full web pages on it, though the new one has a very high resolution.
    * - But 'Hubby' prefers the Note 8 for extended reading. - *

So a new Note 10.1 or the 12.2 may be the best choices, but I'm not sure I want it that much. I will keep an eye on the 10.1 prices.
    Android Central is a good example as there is a lot more info on the main web page and I look at it on a pc when I am home.

I really wanted to know too if owners use the Note 3 on its own most of the time.
    You still need bigger screens or a pc, and the size of that screen depends on your own balance between portability and readability.

@the game161 - you use the Note 8 still even with the 12.2 but the 12.2 is better with the S-Pen, that's what I was thinking.
    12.2 being newer, costlier and higher spec of course, and a new UI.
    Last edited by Madd54; 04-13-2014 at 09:19 AM.
    I know nothing.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I have a note 10.1 and note 3. I use the tablet for drawing, watching videos and Web browsing inside the house

Thanked by:
    Madd54 

I have the note 10.1 2014 edition and while I Err like it I find the battery life a lot worse then an iPad where I could get around 10-12 hours of screen. I also don't like the lcd screen vs the amoled of the note 3. I also had to exchange one for light bleeding and even have it on the new one

Other then those issues I love the tablet. Watching movies, Web browsing, drawing, and reading magazines and etc is much better

Sent from my SM-N900T
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I have the Note 3.0 and the Note 10.1 2014 edition (both Verizon LTE). I'm just now mastering the concept of keeping all of my handwritten notes synced through Evernote. It has actually been a productivity enhancement that is hard to describe.

I absolutely love both devices, but I still find it challenging typing long messages on either. That's probably why I'm posting this using my Blackberry Q10. Of course, I've been a slave to a tactile keyboard since Blackberry was merely a glorified pager.

Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Me too with a preference for tactile keyboards. I never got used to a GS2, the Note 3 I can type on faster (SwiftKey) but not error free.
    So that in theory would be another advantage of a larger screen; but I think with the 12.2 I would start thinking of a physical keyboard, there's probably a good one for the 10.1 2014 as well. More money.
    My thanks to you and @closingracer, the 10.1 2014 seems to be the sweetspot if the price is right. It's been out longer and still has the N3 style UI, I think. I have to get in to a store to look at the size again.
    I'm not too worried about battery life, but maybe they cut corners with the screen.

Via my Note 3 on AC.
    I know nothing.

Me too with a preference for tactile keyboards. I never got used to a GS2, the Note 3 I can type on faster (SwiftKey) but not error free.
    So that in theory would be another advantage of a larger screen; but I think with the 12.2 I would start thinking of a physical keyboard, there's probably a good one for the 10.1 2014 as well. More money.
    My thanks to you and @closingracer, the 10.1 2014 seems to be the sweetspot if the price is right. It's been out longer and still has the N3 style UI, I think. I have to get in to a store to look at the size again.
    I'm not too worried about battery life, but maybe they cut corners with the screen.

Via my Note 3 on AC.
    Newegg sells them new For $549 ( for the 32GB model) or $499 (16GB model) which beats bestbuy in 2 areas price and no Tax (for me at least and i live in NYC which is rare to find these days )

Also noticed Amazon sells one that is basically an open box ( Used as they would put it) for about $100 cheaper if you dont mind it open
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

The battery life on my 10.1 2014 LTE version is absolutely, positively insane. I'm getting days out of a single charge with moderate use.

Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Lol my note 3 decided to post that Sideways but those are the prices for the amazon warehouse ones. These are the 32GB version on Black mind you
    Sent from my SM-N900T

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcfour View Post
    The battery life on my 10.1 2014 LTE version is absolutely, positively insane. I'm getting days out of a single charge with moderate use.

TBH so far it is pretty sad.... yesterday i had 3 hours of Screen time till got the battery down to the 30% battery life
    Madd54 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I should say I'm in the UK. Just looked at my 2 price reference sites. Amazon do the 10.1 2014 @ 499 so has temporarily gone up, while a well regarded department store chain (JL) do it @ 449, and the 12.2 @ 649; whereas I just saw Amazon have dropped the 12.2 by 100 to 549 in black.
    Tab Pro 8.4 has come down too to 314 on Amazon. I think the Amazon 10.1 price should drop below 400 soon. Thx.

*Added: the JL store did the 10.1 2014 @ only 369 before Christmas, with the 2013 version only 20 less.

Via my Note 3 on AC.
    Last edited by Madd54; 04-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    I know nothing.

My latest stats for my note pro 12.2

6 hours, 40 mins screen time
    14 days total

Awesome!
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    lpt2569 likes this.

That was 3 hours if screen time

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Great. Now I have to find or wait for another 300+ for the 12.2.
    I don't work from an office set up. What kind of document software do you like. Have you switched to the free Microsoft Office Mobile. I don't like Polaris on small screens, and I tried one or two others. Word editing or pdf's are silly on even a Note 3 size, it needs larger or you're scrolling all the time.
    Thanks.
    I use Polaris and Hancom. Any small screen issue is rendered obsolete on the Note Pro, it's as comfortable as working on a desk top.
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I should not have started this thread until I had better knowledge of the newer tablets. I thought I had read on the Pro's but I hadn't really 'til now.

It still does get a little confusing though to keep tabs (geddit) on the varying features between the Note 10.1 2014 out for maybe 5 months now, but presumably updated to 4.4, and the Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1 and 12.2, and Note Pro 12.2.
    So the larger Note Pro 12.2 and Tab Pro 10.1 have a windows laptop type keyboard (nice) and S-Action mouse facility (?) and the Note Pro at least has new H (Hancom) office (MS compatible) software, remote desktop control, 4 multi windows, PopUp (Pen) window, E-Meeting etc.
    The on paper disappointment with the 12.2 is the 254 ppi resolution - 307 ppi for the 10.1 and a very good 359 for the 8.4.

I need to check again on specs of the Note 10.1 2014 also, it will have the same 307 ppi I think, and though it won't have the latest Touchwiz, is looking good.
    Either Note 10.1 2014 or Pro 12.2 I learned here work well with my Note 3 phone via S-Notes, and Evernote with S-Pen.

I need to lie down now - my head hurts.

I may buy a bicycle.
    I know nothing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast