Note 3: Constant WiFi notification

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to shut off the persistant notification that tells me what WiFi I'm logged into? I know I'm connected to Targaryen5! I named it! I'm at my house! I do not need the constant reminder.

Last edited by a moderator:

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Constant WiFi notification

It only pops up when you connect; not persistently. If it's popping up more than once when you connect, it means that you're being disconnected and you need to deal with that issue. It's designed that way for a reason.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't pop back up, I'm referring to the persistent notification in the notification shade that cannot be dismissed

Posted via Android Central App

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like a connection problem.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

So no one else has this notification:
WiFiNotification.jpg
It cannot be dismissed. I'm not having a slow connection, my WiFi connection seems to be staying connected, and no other devices are having WiFi issues.

It isn't that it keeps coming back after I dismiss it, it simply will not dismiss.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

No, there must be a setting...I will look. I just got updated to KitKat and I don't have this in my notification bar. Do you by chance have some type of App that you're using for WiFi?

By the way, since I updated to KitKat today, I have S-Voice disabled. It was disabled in Jelly Bean and I was able to enable and disable in KitKat.

EDIT: Checked my devices and can't find anywhere to turn that WiFi notification ON/OFF. There has to be something else in your device causing that issue...

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No, there must be a setting...I will look. I just got updated to KitKat and I don't have this in my notification bar. Do you by chance have some type of App that you're using for WiFi?

By the way, since I updated to KitKat today, I have S-Voice disabled. It was disabled in Jelly Bean and I was able to enable and disable in KitKat.

EDIT: Checked my devices and can't find anywhere to turn that WiFi notification ON/OFF. There has to be something else in your device causing that issue...

Hmm... I have not installed any apps that should be doing anything with WiFi and I cannot find a setting anywhere. Wonder what is going on with it.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I called a buddy with an S4 on KitKat just now and he doesn't see it either. Are you sure you don't have some app that's doing this? It doesn't have to be a WiFi related app. It could be some type of app that pushes notifications. I've never seen notifications like that before...

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I called a buddy with an S4 on KitKat just now and he doesn't see it either. Are you sure you don't have some app that's doing this? It doesn't have to be a WiFi related app. It could be some type of app that pushes notifications. I've never seen notifications like that before...

I did a hard reset abs it still did it before I had installed any apps.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if it's a carrier related option? I can't think of why you have it, and no one else seems to...

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Its under Settings>click on Wifi...once the list of networks shows up, click menu key..then click 'Advanced' (first option)...uncheck first option "Wifi notifications" and now it should not prompt you for available networks nor when its connected.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The item on that page for me, is "open network notification", and that's not it. There's nothing on that page that adds or removes network notifications. Do you have a screen capture of yours that you can post for us?

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

The item on that page for me, is "open network notification", and that's not it. There's nothing on that page that adds or removes network notifications. Do you have a screen capture of yours that you can post for us?

I think this is what kazmi was describing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1397465883503.jpg
    1397465883503.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1397465902948.jpg
    1397465902948.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 27

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have the option, but it does not have the. "or connected" at the end. I wonder if it is an AT&T thing that they removed that.
Screenshots_2014-04-14-02-33-25.jpg

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps, or maybe a KitKat thing? Since I'm still on JB.

Possible. I think I remember it being there when I was on JellyBean, but I only had the phone on JellyBean for about 24 hours and wasn't using it as my main phone because I did not have a SIM for it yet, so I really don't remember so much.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I looked at all the screen-shots posted in this thread. I have KitKat and mine is the same as yours; no WiFi notification option - only the open networks notification option.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if it's a carrier related option? I can't think of why you have it, and no one else seems to...

It has to be this. I had a freshly wiped phone with not a single third party app installed on it and had this notification and could not turn it off. Thats a little annoying. Between the quick settings and persistent notifications, I have to scroll down on my notification window before I can see any actual notifications!

I'm on AT&T. Anyone have AT&T and not have this notification?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe check the Location mode, See if GPS + wifi + data (High Accuracy) is on. And maybe disable the stock weather, it needs a location.

Last edited:

Andrew Pmp

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
If you have an ATT phone that might be the issue. I recently switched from Verizon to ATT (I was moving from iphone to a Samsung Note 4, so figured why not switch carrier too). ATT does allow, with effort and searching, you to shut off auto connect to mobile hotspots named ATT (security issue, clearly). But has disabled the ability to not show notifications for wifi connections.

The bottom (second) photo I attached was from my ATT Samsung, notice the top wifi box is unchecked. Yet, if I was sitting in McD playing a game, constantly the white box with connecting to xxx network would pop up. It was so annoying that I would turn off wi-fi. Then forget to turn it back on later, and use more of my data plan. My best guess is that is why ATT does this. I chuckled when I looked at "old" ATT (bottomphoto) screen because you can see I had airplane mode on - that was to stop the wifi pop-up insanity!

The top photo is my new Verizon, whom I switched back to a week ago. Notice the connection says "or connected"? This is what ATT removed that caused issues on my phone.

If you don't have ATT as your carrier, than I don't know what the issue is, however, for me switching from ATT to Verizon solved this annoying design feature.

I hope this is helpful to you. The pop ups were driving me crazy while I was playing games! :)

Attachments

• ATT Phone Screenshot_2014-11-21-13-29-24.jpg
    ATT Phone Screenshot_2014-11-21-13-29-24.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Verizon Screenshot_2014-12-08-15-10-51.jpg
    Verizon Screenshot_2014-12-08-15-10-51.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member