Emoji turns sms to mms

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Something that is really bothering me about the note 3 is that when I'm using the default text messaging app and I insert an emoji it changes from sms to mms. This is a big problem for me because most of the people I text always have their mobile data off and when it's off they don't receive my mms messages until they turn it back on. I tried to Google this but none of the threads had any solutions. I also prefer NOT to use a 3rd party texting app like hangouts. Any solutions?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1397410036538.jpg
    1397410036538.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue is that those emojis only work as multimedia messages.

If you press the menu button, you'll be greeted by a couple of options, one of them being "Insert Smiley". Those work as sms. I know it's not a solution to your problem or the best explanation, but that's what I know right now.

Sent by my lady friend, Note 3

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
It's so weird, using the exact same emojis in other texting apps (hangouts, hello, gosms) send as sms but in the stock messaging app it sends as mms

Posted via Android Central App

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Ah, I wouldn't have much knowledge of that. I only use the stock app. Are you sure the third party apps don't use data to send texts?

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually not sure, but I do know that my friends receive my texts as sms when I text them emojis with 3rd party sms apps

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think they all use data for Emoji. Swiftkey does as well from what I can see...and people I know with iPhone without data tell me they don't get the Emoji's when I send them

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue is centralized to the app sending it rather than the keyboard input you're using. I find it peculiar that the third party apps send it as sms though. Might have to do with their servers, but then again, I'm not completely sure.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I find this issue so frustrating, it's the only thing that I dislike about my note 3. Other than that this phone is perfect.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I find this issue so frustrating, it's the only thing that I dislike about my note 3. Other than that this phone is perfect.

Same. Drives me batty especially when I'm on WiFi and don't want to turn off data too.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3

Heidi Berg

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Note 2. I had an system upgrade today, and after that it started to turn sms into mms.. Before the upgrade I could use a few emo's in a text before it became a mms. Now it turns into mms if I use one .. This is frustrating, and I might stop using the emoji keyboard :-\ Let me know if someone know a way around it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34