Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By azkimbers
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Often do you Restart

Just curious, I got into the habit with the old flip phones because I was always told to restart it everyday.

What I have done most of the time the last few years is restart right after I disconnect from a full charge.

Just curious how others do it. I love that the note3 has a restart option

Default Re: How Often do you Restart

Not very often, unless I download an app or widget. I use to reset my devices every morning as well especially with my Blackberry devices, but with the "new wave" of smartphones no so much anymore, maybe once a week.

Global Posts
    10,563 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

When I used to play with ROMs all the time it was probably averaging 5-10 times per week or more. Lately it has really more like once every 3-4 weeks; I typically only restart if I feel that there is a direct reason to or benefit from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post
    Just curious, I got into the habit with the old flip phones because I was always told to restart it everyday.

What I have done most of the time the last few years is restart right after I disconnect from a full charge.

Generally a couple of times a week, sometimes less than that.

Sometimes I forget that it's on 24/7 so when I remember that's usually when I restart.

Posted via Android Central App

Probably once ever 2-3 days. It's usually when I feel an abnormal battery drain or laggyness

I used to do it often but ever since I've been using task manager to clear RAM, I've been restarting less often so I've gone down to 4-5x a week to maybe 1-3x a week at most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by azkimbers View Post
    I used to do it often but ever since I've been using task manager to clear RAM, I've been restarting less often so I've gone down to 4-5x a week to maybe 1-3x a week at most.

It's better not to clear ram, just the cache. Ram is used differently in Android, and it will only start to put the same stuff back in the ram.
    I got that from a thread I started when new to this.

I restart my phone about 3 times a week, mostly for recovery mode.
    I don't have a spare battery so I would imagine that would change it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. Only reason I started doing that was because Swype started getting laggy which was frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by azkimbers View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. Only reason I started doing that was because Swype started getting laggy which was frustrating.

I started this thread. There were others. It made sense the way people explained it.
    What's with the 3gb of ram?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post

I only restart every other day to swap out for a fresh battery (always have a spare battery at the ready kept charged via a Samsung external battery charger. Never plug phone in to charge). With a non-removable battery though, such as my Note 10.1 or Nexus 7 tablets, I'll only restart after a full charge (about once a week), just for good measure to ensure it operates at peak performance (sometimes Google pushes out updates behind the scenes for the Play Store or Google Services that can cause odd behavior or cause performance issues until restarting).

Edit: I too like the restart option included by Samsung. In comparison with my Nexus 7 (that doesn't have that option), I have to babysit a restart as I have to wait for it to power off, then press/hold the power button to power it back up (sure you could just hold the power button forcing a restart, but that's not exactly a clean shutdown of the OS). Meanwhile, on both my Note 2 and 10.1, I can just hit "Restart", put them down walk away and come back to a freshly booted system. No hand holding.
    vpblaze likes this.

I do it once a day.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I do it once a day.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Now Now !

I restart daily I find it frees up more memory and phone runs much smoother.

About 1 x a month.

Sent via my Note 8

Maybe once every other day.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Once a week for good luck.

#thatswhatshesaid

I restart at least once a day for no particular reason.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Every Sunday.

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

Android is based on Linux. We run an enterprise class data center, our typical reboot cycle for a Linux server is about 6 months. However, the apps are pretty static on them. I reboot only if i get an update to an app I feel is critical (to clear any remnants from RAM), or if the phone gets slow, maybe once a month. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by vr002sh View Post
    Android is based on Linux. We run an enterprise class data center, our typical reboot cycle for a Linux server is about 6 months. However, the apps are pretty static on them. I reboot only if i get an update to an app I feel is critical (to clear any remnants from RAM), or if the phone gets slow, maybe once a month. YMMV
    Apples to oranges comparison. Servers vs. end user workstations (We too run some Linux servers in our data center. More so Windows HyperV. ).

Point being, workstations will inherently need to be rebooted more often as they experience more day to day changes.