Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jlynskey79
  • 1 Post By waz ahmer
  • 2 Post By qualifyordie
  • 1 Post By robcala
  • 1 Post By Gator352
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Camera Vs Stock Camera

Anyone had a chance to test the Google Camera app out yet? Wondering how it compares to the stock camera.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Google Camera Vs Stock Camera

I have been playing with it for the last few hours and I am using it as my main camera now. It's simple and works very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    ChrisP1234 likes this.

Stock of corse plenty od modes

Ulimate Note 3
    Gator352 likes this.

Been playing around with it not really a big difference in the quality of photos stock may even be a bit better, don't like that you can't see the photos you've taken in the app I have to keep opening the gallery app unless I'm missing something? The back of my phone gets really hot as well after taking a couple of photos so might have to delete it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005)

I tried it and I dislike how you can't make a phone 16:9, the box-ish shape is really annoying me. Also, there are barely any modes compared to stock so I will be sticking to stock for now. But, on the other hand, I really like the lens blur feature, wish stock camera had it

I've just downloaded it. Will test it out tomorrow.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

I can't dl from the play store it says not compatible??

Any workaround for VZW users on 4.3 to get this installed??

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JordanN9005 - swipe right to view photos.
    ChrisP1234 and JordanN9005 like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by kami8586 View Post
    I can't dl from the play store it says not compatible??

Are you on Kitkat? Think you have to be unless rooted.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (4.3)

The only reason to even bother with the Google Camera is to use Lens Blur and Photo Sphere (they work with Google Maps or whatever, Samsung's 3D Pano doesn't).

Other than that, I don't see a single compelling reason to use it.

The UI is also quite terrible.

Just one reason why I never seen the point in buying phones like the S5 or M8 just for "Bokeh" effects, Lol.

Of course, only works on 4.4, so Verizon Note 3 users need not apply.

I also heard some features didn't work on all devices. Some people with S4's said HDR didn't work on their device. Wonder how it works with SD Cards on 4.4 as well. If it puts pictures in hidden/random folders then I don't see a point in using it even for the features it has that the Stock Camera lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    The only reason to even bother with the Google Camera is to use Lens Blur and Photo Sphere (they work with Google Maps or whatever, Samsung's 3D Pano doesn't).

Other than that, I don't see a single compelling reason to use it.

The UI is also quite terrible.

Just one reason why I never seen the point in buying phones like the S5 or M8 just for "Bokeh" effects, Lol.

Of course, only works on 4.4, so Verizon Note 3 users need not apply.

I also heard some features didn't work on all devices. Some people with S4's said HDR didn't work on their device. Wonder how it works with SD Cards on 4.4 as well. If it puts pictures in hidden/random folders then I don't see a point in using it even for the features it has that the Stock Camera lacks.

One big reason I'm forced to use the older S4 developer edition camera at times is because of the focus. While I love the stock app, it is VERY susceptible to blur from camera/hand shake. The DE camera is much more in focus and crisp.

On my note 3 there is no HDR option either for the Google camera. And you also can't choose what folder you want the picture saved in; it's auto saved in a new folder it creates on the device storage called "camera"

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

They appear to have taken a page from ios on the design. Losing a huge chunk of screen space when taking a photo is obnoxious.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

The Google camera seems to be a little slower than the stock camera - hopefully they will fix this on a future update because it seems to take sharper photos than stock for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3!

Hi to view photos just swipe left when your in camera mode.

JordanN9005 likes this.

Tried it. Didn't like it. But kept it. Blur effect.
    ffejjj likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Tried it. Didn't like it. But kept it. Blur effect.
    Pretty much this. Keep for the blur and that's about it. I did try it on a Droid Maxx and the Lens Blur worked well. I think Google software may be better than Motorola cramps camera though lol

Could not find a way to get into settings and access things like Manual ISO. Has to be the most u intuitive and confusing UI ever. It's a huge pain if you use something like an otterbox too, cause of the reliance on swipe gestures.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I can't be bothered. The stock does enough for my needs. I can waste my time on other things. (Weekend apathy)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

as far as quality i dont notice a difference but i feel the google camera can focus on a closer image. so i feel its better at macro like pics. i havent tried the surround shot on it. i feel like the notes just isnt as good as the nexus one.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Pretty much this. Keep for the blur and that's about it. I did try it on a Droid Maxx and the Lens Blur worked well. I think Google software may be better than Motorola cramps camera though lol

Could not find a way to get into settings and access things like Manual ISO. Has to be the most u intuitive and confusing UI ever. It's a huge pain if you use something like an otterbox too, cause of the reliance on swipe gestures.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    I love Google. I do. But most of their stock software is a mess, to me anyways.