Strange Mute behavior

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I work in a location where I often need to mute all sounds on my phone. Since the Kit Kat update I have noticed a strange behavior. I mute the phone, but certain events turn the sound back on. For example, the phone is muted, someone calls, no ring tone (as expected) they leave a voice message and the phone makes the voice mail notification sound and then unmutes itself.

Anyone else notice this? More important, anyone have a fix for it?

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
No, sorry. But my alarms still go off with full sound notification, even on muting all sounds.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

eagle923

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That is odd, mine is the exact OPPOSITE behavior. I posted this question on DroidForums.net :

I have a stock VZW GNote 3, about 2 months old.

1) I keep missing calls due to it being on silent mode constantly, even if ensure it isn't in silent mode before I put it in my pocket. It isn't the button being pushed while in my pocket, since I can turn the phone up to say max ringer volume, then turn the screen off and push the VOL DOWN button and it doesn't adjust to silent. I have to turn the screen on and unlock it before it'll adjust volume.

2) I also have an issue where if I'm listening to music via Play Music, DoggCatcher, uListen...etc and I open "Settings" or "Chrome" it'll turn the volume down to silent.

Any solutions for either of these?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess you guys will have already tried Sound - Calls - Personalise call sound - Clear Sound or Off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Set the volume all the way off then verify everything is silenced by going to system settings > sounds > volume. If everything is off then it should be working normally. Otherwise, the sound is not being settings all he way silent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Set the volume all the way off then verify everything is silenced by going to system settings > sounds > volume. If everything is off then it should be working normally. Otherwise, the sound is not being settings all he way silent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them. But in my case I am not turning the sound down, I am pressing the power key and choosing mute. The some activity (typically a voice message or a text) will cause the phone to unmute. I also know it's not me pressing something as most of the time this happens my phone is sitting on my desk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2