Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock + Goodies by Flex

Question Missing/Disappeared Photos taken with Camera

I recently had an odd problem with my phone - all of the photos and videos taken with the camera have disappeared. There was one remaining photo in the 'camera' folder visible in the gallery, so I know the folder isn't hidden/no media'd. I'm curious if anyone knows why, or to see if anyone has run into a similar problem. Information summarized below:

• Camera was saving information to the INTERNAL storage, so not an SD card issue
    • I have another folder under DCIM called 'Note II' that housed all of my old photos from the last phone... those remained intact... only those in DCIM/camera were impacted
    • No other galleries were impacted, downloads, wallpaper folder, and even another folder within DCIM itself were not impacted
    • Using ES explorer and making hidden folders visible, I can see the thumbnails of the old photos in the DCIM/.thumbnails folder, but nothing in the camera folder itself
    • Not all of the photos were gone. Only those over a 2 weeks old... based on my drop-box uploads, there seem to be a 6 day window where this could have happened... everything before that window was gone, everything after was intact. It is possible that it simply happened in that window and I didn't notice (I don't browse the gallery that frequently), or that there was something about those pictures being older...
    • No new apps have been installed
    • New Photos show up no problem

I personally had everything backed up to dropbox, so I did not lose anything. (lesson learned from my EVO LTE...RIP) This is more of a curiosity thing. Doing a search, it seems that this issue isn't unheard of, nor is it widespread. Below are a few links of people noting it here on AC either with the Note 3 or the S4, which makes me think it's a Samsung issue...

Mind you, I filtered out any that looked like they were based on a failing SD card. That's a different problem. Examples:

Again, I didn't lose anything, so though definitely good advice, things like "back up to dropbox/google+ next time" do not quite apply here. This is more to bring attention to this and/or centralize a resolution, if there is even one. Thanks and cheers!

TL;DR - Photos/videos taken with Note 3 camera, and only those photos, vanishing without any explanation

Default Re: Missing/Disappeared Photos taken with Camera

I'm having this problem on my M8

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Missing/Disappeared Photos taken with Camera

I am having the same issue twice now on the S5, android 4.4.2.
    Everything is stock, not rooted. Stock Camera app.
    Photos are in the Gallery app, under the "camera" album, the next minute, they arent.
    At first I thought I just deleted them all by mistake, but today it happened again and I know I didnt delete the pics.
    I've dug through with ES explorer, no dice. No SD card, Rebooted, nothing is sync'ed out to an account.
    At a loss here.