Stock email app & large quantity of emails

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I thought I would run this question by you all and get your opinions.

Firstly, I don't have major problems with the stock email app - just a couple of glitches so I'm not really looking for an alternative.

My email lags often taking a few seconds or longer (at times 30+ seconds) when going from one email to another or when I "search" (but I can understand this during the search because of the volume of emails).

I have my work email accounts, as well as email accounts I handle for my schul, and my personal email account too.

My main work email has over 10,000 emails in my inbox. Could this by why it lags?

I can't really delete the emails because most of them have details I need to keep/reference.

I guess my question are:

1. Is this just the way the stock app is?
2. Or - is it due to the large volume of emails in the inbox?
3. If I created folders on the account and reduced the number of emails in the inbox itself would the lag time switching between emails or searching be reduced also?

Thanks for the input!

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
"My email lags often taking a few seconds or longer (at times 30+ seconds)

My main work email has over 10,000 emails in my inbox. Could this by why it lags?

2. Or - is it due to the large volume of emails in the inbox?
3. If I created folders on the account and reduced the number of emails in the inbox itself would the lag time switching between emails or searching be reduced also?

Ummm? Yeaaahh!! :D

I know the stock email app is different to individual apps like Yahoo and others; and I said I don't normally use it. But it surely makes sense.

I guess it would normally cache a 'normal' amount of email and draw in older ones when required.
Have you turned off data and wifi and seen how much it stores?

It would surely be easiest to take large trenches of them by date and create numbered folders for them in your main accounts or in the app. Personally I would do it for each account on a pc so you can tick a large amount at a time.

I was staggered 2 years ago on a course when someone had over a 1000 in their inbox. I currently have less than 30 in my main account because I move them to folders, Yahoo is great for that, but I now have left about 400 mails in my 2nd account, GMX, which is an awful service btw.

You just don't want to face 10,000 tick boxes!
Maybe you can 'select all' in each account and move them to a created folder, I call a folder '2nd inbox' as some may be still pending. Then you can move a few (30-50?) back to their main inbox again.

Very happy to hear better ideas though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I really like the stock email application. I only have Yahoo and Gmail with maybe 2000 emails total. It works well with no lag or delay. It sounds like some folder creation and organization is in order. I would certainly save those emails in folders and backed up somewhere. Then I would delete the stock email and re-install it with syncing over maybe 1 months emails to the Note 3, gradually increasing that amount to sync to the Note 3. Then it may be easier to gauge the speed. It could be something as simple as a setting in the email application itself. Not sure though, just a thought.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for your input. I had even more emails in my main work email account than even I thought - close to 12,000 arghhh!!

Thankfully it's just the one work email that has a large quantity of emails in it. The rest only have from 500-1500 each so I'm not as worried about those though I will give them a "spring cleaning" after I deal with my main work one.

Today I took a few hours and sorted it out somewhat. Managed to delete maybe 5% and put 40% into folders I have created. After staring at my emails for hours though I had to stop before I just hit DELETE on the lot!

Tomorrow hopefully I will manage to put another 40% or so into the folders then I will delete the account from my phone and re-add it (thanks for this advice, I wouldn't have thought of this).

So perhaps in a couple of days I'll give youse an update on the outcome of the spring cleaning and lagging :)

Thank you both!

Sarks.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I can say .. (even though I haven't gotten around to sorting the other 50% of my emails - yet!) the lag is pretty much gone :)

I still have about 5000 emails in that one work inbox but the note seems to be able to handle those well. If anything there is maybe a lag of a second or less going between emails - which is nothing!

I'm sure when I get around to the rest of the emails it will be even faster/smoother.

Thanks again you two for your input and ideas :)

Problem solved!

Sarks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
ehosey2 had a good idea.

I was thinking for a while you had to be a celebrity or model and they are all from fans. :D
Same here (cough!). :cool:

You got the lag down with resetting the mail accounts.

Good to know. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: