Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default maps

Hey y'all I was wondering if anyone know if you could use google maps off line so you don't use data out on the road I have a family member who is a trucker and he could use all the help he can get when It comes to directions.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: maps

Yep. You can download a map for offline use using Google Maps.

Based upon your statement, he needs to look at an off-line application. I use both Sygic and Copilot, preferring Sygic. Both work well though. An off-line solution covers those times when we find ourselves in areas with little to no access to cellular data. Sygic also has an application oriented toward truck drivers.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

I read somewhere recently something similar but can't remember where, otherwise I'd give you the link, meanwhile, will this be any use,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.offlinemaps

Kind of related here, is there anyway to save a route on Google maps.
    Say if I am driving there a place where I won't have data but I want to keep the route details on google maps?

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Some small titbits.
    As said, in Google Maps you can save an area for offline reading either by selecting the area and either touching the Voice Mike and saying 'OK maps', or there is a blue area at the bottom of the history list. I read a magazine article recently and haven't tried it, but its size is limited.

I definitely also recommend Skobbler GPS Navi and Maps. You can buy an extra country(!) for about 1; I am sure it has worldwide maps but don't know charging for the States. Big downloads.

I haven't found how to save a route list, or bring a street by street list up.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Need Nokia to bring their maps to Android. I'd buy them immediately and just disable Google Maps, personally.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Need Nokia to bring their maps to Android. I'd buy them immediately and just disable Google Maps, personally.

I guess they have much larger offline maps. You would think they would make them available at this stage if they were allowed to.
    I don't like any maps that need constant data. I am not sure, even having used Google Navigation in rural areas, if it preloads and keeps going without data during a route, as it would still have gps.

--------
    I drove from London to Sweden in 2004 with a Laptop on the front seat with Microsoft Autoroute 2004? (US version is called : errr?) preloaded with the route, no data or GPS.
    I just hit enter after every segment, which went to the next line of the route and displayed the blue line for that map segment and enough mileage and turn information (multi - window!).
    Hardly crashed at all.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I guess they have much larger offline maps. You would think they would make them available at this stage if they were allowed to.
    I don't like any maps that need constant data. I am not sure, even having used Google Navigation in rural areas, if it preloads and keeps going without data during a route, as it would still have gps.

--------
    I drove from London to Sweden in 2004 with a Laptop on the front seat with Microsoft Autoroute 2003 (US version is called : errr?) preloaded with the route, no data or GPS.
    I just hit enter after every segment, which went to the next line of the route and displayed the blue line for that map segment and enough mileage and turn information (multi - window!).
    Hardly crashed at all.

Windoes 8.1 users can get here maps with full offline maps for free from the Windows Store. Works great!

Thanked by:
    Madd54 
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger#IM View Post
    Based upon your statement, he needs to look at an off-line application. I use both Sygic and Copilot, preferring Sygic. Both work well though. An off-line solution covers those times when we find ourselves in areas with little to no access to cellular data. Sygic also has an application oriented toward truck drivers.

Is that Sygic have free maps

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Windoes 8.1 users can get here maps with full offline maps for free from the Windows Store. Works great!

Yeah I had one but I didn't like it but I do wish for the maps and I kinda like the idea of a assistant like cortana.

They do. Since I have had it, there have been 3 upgrades to the maps.

EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.