Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Evilguppy
  • 2 Post By Gator352
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default lag as bad as s5?

In your opinion is the performance of the note 3 better, the same, or worse than the galaxy s5? I'm on an HTC one m8 and considering trading it for a note 3 but I can't handle the galaxy s type lag.

Default Re: lag as bad as s5?

The lag I've experienced has been due to the way 3rd party apps are handled by TouchWiz. It seems whenever I get some lag, the inevitable "TouchWiz has stopped working" popup comes. It all comes down to what types of apps you're using and such. The OS, for me, is pretty fluent when doing system type things. Playing with settings, etc. I'm on 4.4.2
    Formerly forever29 & Heisenberg
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Air 2 & iPad Mini Retina

I have no lag with my Note 3. No 3rd party apps either.
    petaf and Madd54 like this.

None should lag. Qualcomm quad cores. I can't see how the S5 or Note 3 should lag, heavy Touchwiz or no. S5 has 2gb ram but no S-Pen software, Note 3 has 3gb. Some stuttering reported right after KitKat, but generally found to run even smoother.
    What have you heard or experienced. What apps or games do you want to run ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    This section reserved for a clever signature line.

NO LAG! NONE! NADA!

You know you wanna do it. Just do it. DO IT NOW!!

Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
    petaf and Madd54 like this.

I can't answer. My s5 is lag free.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    NO LAG! NONE! NADA!

You know you wanna do it. Just do it. DO IT NOW!!

HaHa

Probably a typo, but there was a Galaxy S on 2.1 - 2.3 before the S2. It's specs are hysterical now.

Some really cheap Androids are awful.

But a Note 3. That's insulting!

Gator352 likes this.

My note 3 and s5 are lag free, ymmv.

Of course the reviews are saying the m8 is the smoothies Android phone ever produced.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann15 View Post

Show-off

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann15 View Post

Of course the reviews are saying the m8 is the smoothies Android phone ever produced.

HTC is the shiznit in software optimization. The camera has a lot to be desired though. I know it takes "good" pics, but try to crop a 4MP pic......ain't happenin' without dithering.

Smoothie huh? What flavor?
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Well, there is some lag on the Note 3 with KitKat...but it's OS related.

It's not huge, but it's there. Pressing the home button - (using Nova) takes a few hundred milliseconds before the screen goes to the default page. It wasn't as pronounced with 4.3. There is also more lag when hitting the Gallery app on 4.4 then there was on 4.3. My gallery is all on the SD card so that's probably why it's laggy.

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    Well, there is some lag on the Note 3 with KitKat...but it's OS related.

It's not huge, but it's there. Pressing the home button - (using Nova) takes a few hundred milliseconds before the screen goes to the default page. It wasn't as pronounced with 4.3. There is also more lag when hitting the Gallery app on 4.4 then there was on 4.3. My gallery is all on the SD card so that's probably why it's laggy.
    Same here.

There'll be a lag somewhere if you notice it. But miles faster than my S2. I just wonder what phone the OP is comparing.

When I'm using stock launcher I find out I get a lot of lag just browsing through my home screens. I now use the Google now launcher and experience no lag what so ever

Posted via Android Central App

I have both the samsung s4, and the s5. the worst lag seems to be when trying to open the samsung email client -- the blue circle spins for a full 5-6 seconds as opposed to the s4, which instantly shows the emails. This is also true when opening certain emails (even if they are just a line or two) where once again, when I press both phones simultaneously, the s5 finally ones the email up to 2 seconds later than the S4... I have done all the suggested fixes found on forums (stopped animations, etc. etc.) No difference. I changed to Nova Launcher, still absolutely no improvement on that Samsung email client. I finally called Samsung technical support. He made me do a few more things, but still no improvement... Then, I asked him to try opening the S5 Samsung email app himself, simultaneously to the S4... Guess what... SAME 5-6 second spinning blue disk for him as well (he hadn't experienced it before as he personally was still on the S4) He said he would file a report with the development team... I think Samsung is perfectly aware of the problem... As for those who say there is 0 lag, either you are one of the blessed ones, or perhaps you're simply less sensitive to it... Anyway, after much thought, I changed back to the S4... I am truly shocked that Samsung could release a product that clearly huge numbers of people and articles identify as "lagging" (i.e. not opening up as quickly as they should)...
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

That's an easy fix, and my Note 3 had the serious lag issues with the same e-mail client.

Don't close the app when you're done with it, just switch to another app and leave it open. It will actually use less resources when left open than when closing and reopening each time. It's a very poorly written app with a lot of bugs. I moved away from it within 2 months of the time I bought my Note 3. There are several superior solutions to replace that junkware app.

I moved to a product called Nine Folders - which has no lag and does everything the stock app does, only better. The caveat is that it doesn't handle IMAP, but I just use the stock Gmail app for that. Nine makes the stock SamDung app look like a toy.

The stock e-mail client has lag when doing pretty much anything in it...Nine does not. Cost is $9.99 and worth every penny.

Here is a great writeup regarding a fix:

Note 3 Lags sometimes and is slow here is how to fix it!

The only lag I have on my note 3 is in the stock messages app, and the lag is horrible. Every time I send or receive a text the whole phone starts freezing, touches become unresponsive and keyboard starts typing random words into the text entry box. An easy fix is using a 3rd party sms app such as hangouts. But other than that the phone is really quick

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

I've not used thw S5 bit my note 3 doesn't lag.

Posted from my galaxy note 3
    Live Long and Prosper!