Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hard Reset Note 3?

Hey guys, so I just got my phone today and updated it to the latest Android version on AT&T. I read on these forums it's best to hard reset the phone after updating it but I can't figure out how to.

I hold down the Volume+Home Button+Power and that just brings me to a menu saying "Are you sure you want to install custom firmware" blablabla. So I tried that but it opened up something called Odin and sat installing for awhile so I just reset it back to the home menu.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Default Re: Hard Reset Note 3?

Volume UP button, not Volume down; that's why. The rest of your sequence is fine.

Volume UP + Home, and then while holding those two, the Power button and then release all.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you! Can't believe I missed that.

Global Posts
    31,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

At the very least, do a cache clear after an update. But you are right. The old data from the previous OS can lead to conflicts. A cache clear, or reset, will help prevent this.
    Something I do is a cache clear once a month anyway. Helps keep my phone quick and snappy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah it seems like every forum I've read has mentioned wiping device data after performing software updates, I just figured why not to be on the safe side.
    Unfortunately I was being stupid and forgot that so I downloaded like 20GB's worth of games and apps and then remembered I didn't update the OS yet.

Global Posts
    31,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post
    Yeah it seems like every forum I've read has mentioned wiping device data after performing software updates, I just figured why not to be on the safe side.
    Unfortunately I was being stupid and forgot that so I downloaded like 20GB's worth of games and apps and then remembered I didn't update the OS yet.
    Big reason is, updating the OS via an OTA is essentially flashing a new ROM, you are just doing it under the control of the carrier and OEM. Since you are flashing a new ROM, a cache wipe/reset is always suggested for a clean install.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Off hand question but I didn't want to make a new thread. Anyone know how to set Google Now as the default voice search? I originally had the option of doing it but I accidentally hint SVoice instead.

Global Posts
    31,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post
    Off hand question but I didn't want to make a new thread. Anyone know how to set Google Now as the default voice search? I originally had the option of doing it but I accidentally hint SVoice instead.
    You can clear all default apps in settings>application manager>menu>reset app preferences.

jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    You can clear all default apps in settings>application manager>menu>reset app preferences.

You don't have to clear all your defaults just for one app. You can clear an individual default two ways. Either go to the app you set as default in the Application Manager and click Clear Defaults or use the Active Apps Manager and go to the Defaults tab to clear it.