Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gator352
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    dgprakash's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default

    Hi all,

    Over the past few days I have been experiencing pretty bad battery drain.
    Tried a hard reset, wipe cache partition. . Nothing worked. I am on kitkat 4.4.2 and Un rooted. Even gsam couldn't point me to the culprit app, and I disabled a bunch of them.

    Couldn't install wakelock detector as it needed root access, so downloaded this app call powerdog task manager. .

    Immediately I got a warning that a process called android.process.media was causing huge battery drain, and I am unsure of how to resolve this. Do I just format my SD card.. Will that make it stop? Or is there anything else that can be done about this? ?


    Oh, and the cpu was awake when the screen was off which led me to wake lock detector in the first place

    Thanks in advance

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by dgprakash View Post
    Hi all,

    Over the past few days I have been experiencing pretty bad battery drain.
    Tried a hard reset, wipe cache partition. . Nothing worked. I am on kitkat 4.4.2 and Un rooted. Even gsam couldn't point me to the culprit app, and I disabled a bunch of them.

    Couldn't install wakelock detector as it needed root access, so downloaded this app call powerdog task manager. .

    Immediately I got a warning that a process called android.process.media was causing huge battery drain, and I am unsure of how to resolve this. Do I just format my SD card.. Will that make it stop? Or is there anything else that can be done about this? ?


    Oh, and the cpu was awake when the screen was off which led me to wake lock detector in the first place

    Thanks in advance

    Posted via Android Central App
    You're on the right track as it IS your SD card. Something wrote to it and got borked causing it to stay active.

    Back up your SD card to PC if you wish. Remove SD card from phone and format it using your PC. Make sure you format it in Fat32. Then replace it back in phone and format it again using the phone. This ensures compatibility. Then boot the phone and your problem should go away.

    Good luck.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    dgprakash's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    Hmm...thanks...I just formatted it..but only on my phone, and wiped the cache partition after the format too
    I plan to use it a day without the card installed, and see the battery performance. .

    Will report back shortly. ..

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    dgprakash's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    OK... so the sd card was definitely causing issues...Will try to format it and try again

    But still. .I get considerable amount of partial CPU wakelock with the screen off.. which should cause the battery drain

    And I am down to bare bones in terms of stock apps..google plus, drive and all att junk apps, chat on, blurb, Google play books, movies, music, newsstand all are off along with google plus, play games. ..

    None of the installed apps show up on the battery usage list as a major player so pretty sure my last of apps is not the problem. .

    Can anyone who had inputs on what apps can cause this partial wakelock issue please please give their inputs. ..

    I am sure the push notification from email shouldn't cause this but not certain

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    First, allow me to point out to you: I have wakelock detector installed on my Android HTC without root access. It works fine except it can't kill root processes.
    Second, I have had similar issues with my HTC and someone mentioned that I should check for media which is unreadable. I discovered several pieces of media with the triangle/exclamation point on them. When I deleted said media, the android.process.media issue went away.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanked by 2:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    dgprakash's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvin Wilkerson View Post
    First, allow me to point out to you: I have wakelock detector installed on my Android HTC without root access. It works fine except it can't kill root processes.
    Second, I have had similar issues with my HTC and someone mentioned that I should check for media which is unreadable. I discovered several pieces of media with the triangle/exclamation point on them. When I deleted said media, the android.process.media issue went away.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks...my sd card was definitely screwing up my battery. . Now it is much much better, although there is a small and manageable partial Cpu wakelock remaining.

    When I installed wakelock detector I was not getting any information and the only message I got was that kitkat removed root access or smthng and so no data can be collected about ongoing processes...

    But I installed an app called greenify that can stop whatever apps u need to be stopped whenever u want. So this works for me for now to kill all unnecessary apps..

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  
    Dark Penguin's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    HYdroROM 1.1.0

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    Although bad data or corrupted files seem to be at the heart of this problem, is it still just a KitKat issue? I never had anything like this before I started using CyanogenMod 11, which is KK based. I'm thinking if this is true it might be easier just to go back to a JB-based ROM.

    And it's more than just the battery being drained; all that unwanted processing makes the phone very hot, and I'm afraid to keep it turned on. Right now, as I'm trying to fix my phone, I have a plastic cutting board newly chilled and taken from the freezer. This makes a wonderful dry heat sink for overheated devices.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    dgprakash's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    Kit kat definitely drains more battery than jelly bean I would say. . But at least my partial wake locks have reduced to next to nothing now and am getting reasonably good battery life with 4 to 5 hours screen on time, including about one hour of 3d games..

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: android.process.media killing my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    You're on the right track as it IS your SD card. Something wrote to it and got borked causing it to stay active.

    Back up your SD card to PC if you wish. Remove SD card from phone and format it using your PC. Make sure you format it in Fat32. Then replace it back in phone and format it again using the phone. This ensures compatibility. Then boot the phone and your problem should go away.

    Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Media volume lowers when connecting auxiliary cable
    By diamondRanch in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 06:56 PM
  2. Group Text Issues on my Galaxy S4 Active
    By Diamondback424 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 01:46 PM
  3. Downloading Apps onto my Samsung Galaxy Ace
    By wizbit164 in forum Samsung Galaxy Ace
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
  4. how to sync s3 calendar to my nexus 7
    By EVIL--- in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
  5. My Verizon Galaxy S5 came with a Black charger & cable..............
    By felloffthetruck in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Posting Permissions