How to Avoid KitKat OTA on Galaxy Note 3

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to avoid KitKat 4.4.2 update?

Honestly, I'm not exactly seeing what the "problem" actually is. I like that they're locking down the external storage to make it the same as the internal, where an app only has access to the folders it created or owns. This also (as Jerry put it) makes the SD card a little more tidy by not allowing things to just get tossed in anywhere.

The only place I can see the "problem" is that it requires a format of the SD card (most likely), forcing the owner/user into a potential loss of data. As long as one is aware of this and makes a backup of the data stored on the card, no problem.

I can't really form an opinion either way at this point as it has no impact on me. My Moto X, while it has 4.4.2, doesn't have an SD card. My tablet, an Acer Iconia A500, is only on ICS so it doesn't have this new feature. I will (soon) have a device with an SD and 4.4.2, and I'll probably have to format said SD card to make things work right. We'll see what happens but I may decide to start over with a blank card, or no card at all as the device will have 32 GB internal storage (double what my current tablet has). I'm replacing the Acer with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), bought on a deal from Woot on Friday, hasn't shipped yet.

GetAProgrammer

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Google are working on a fix, which could be included in the Android 4.4.3 update. However, we wouldn't be surprised if the update was pushed out as a priority ahead of the release of the next version of KitKat.
Until the update is released you might want to avoid leaving the camera application running to improve battery life. You should also be aware that certain third-party applications (such as Skype) open the camera app automatically.

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Honestly, I'm not exactly seeing what the "problem" actually is. I like that they're locking down the external storage to make it the same as the internal, where an app only has access to the folders it created or owns. This also (as Jerry put it) makes the SD card a little more tidy by not allowing things to just get tossed in anywhere.

The only place I can see the "problem" is that it requires a format of the SD card (most likely), forcing the owner/user into a potential loss of data. As long as one is aware of this and makes a backup of the data stored on the card, no problem.

I can't really form an opinion either way at this point as it has no impact on me. My Moto X, while it has 4.4.2, doesn't have an SD card. My tablet, an Acer Iconia A500, is only on ICS so it doesn't have this new feature. I will (soon) have a device with an SD and 4.4.2, and I'll probably have to format said SD card to make things work right. We'll see what happens but I may decide to start over with a blank card, or no card at all as the device will have 32 GB internal storage (double what my current tablet has). I'm replacing the Acer with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), bought on a deal from Woot on Friday, hasn't shipped yet.

Hallux,

Thanks for the feedback. How much did you get the Galaxy Note 10.1 for?

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Hello all,

As I am currently typing this message my phone has decided to automatically update to KitKat 4.4.2. I am very nervous and scared and a bit pissed off because I did not want to go ahead with the update but my phone decided to do it by itself. I will provide an update later to see how my phone is performing but I am not very optomistic due to all the negative reviews we've been getting about it. Has there been word about when KitKat 4.4.3 is supposed to release?

Distraught Note 3 User

nemsis72

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Look do this turn off the wifi, then factory reset the phone to delete all downloaded data. Once it resets, before you log in with your google account, go to settings, then application manager, go to all, scroll down to software update and turn off or disable it! Then log in with google account. And no more worries about automatic kit kat update! I did this to my phone with no problems. Update never popped up again. I'd rather stay on jelly bean Try it!

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Look do this turn off the wifi, then factory reset the phone to delete all downloaded data. Once it resets, before you log in with your google account, go to settings, then application manager, go to all, scroll down to software update and turn off or disable it! Then log in with google account. And no more worries about automatic kit kat update! I did this to my phone with no problems. Update never popped up again. I'd rather stay on jelly bean 4.3. Try it!

I never noticed 'Software update' in Applications Manager before. I'll give you that one. :)

Mine has two : version 2.131231 with only 20.00kb, then version 6.131211 with 3.32mb. I guess I can delete the first.

I already have KitKat but this MIGHT be useful to those who don't want it.

BTW - I haven't seen this thread before, so I guess it has been moved from the T-Mobile forum?

nemsis72

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I never noticed 'Software update' in Applications Manager before. I'll give you that one. :)

Mine has two : version 2.131231 with only 20.00kb, then version 6.131211 with 3.32mb. I guess I can delete the first.

I already have KitKat but this MIGHT be useful to those who don't want it.

BTW - I haven't seen this thread before, so I guess it has been moved from the T-Mobile forum?

U can only turn one of them off, thats the one u want off! The other wont let u turn it off! Sorry should've explained that in my post!

nemsis72

May 9, 2014
Visit site
2a3e5uza.jpg

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I dunno...I have KK for about 5-6 weeks now and have zero issue with the exception of the SD card issue, which is minor and not a reason to defer the upgrade to KK. Battery is exactly the same as JB and no crashing or anything else to annoy me...

I think in many cases, the issues with KK are mostly just PEBKAC.

Android4life47

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I myself I'm still on J.B and my note has never asked me to update to K.K..... and I won't update how can they force something on you that you do not want???

Sent from my beast the note3

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking with software that is done when you call for support. The first response will be is the OS up to date. If the answer is no you will be told to update and call back if the problem continues.

Posted via Android Central App

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site

OK nemsis, how did you get your phone to show Software update, to turn off or disable to show up in your Application Manager. I turned off the Wif,i then did a Factory reset, I did not log into Google Account, matter of fact I'm still not going to log in yet, if you can let me know How it shows in yours, but not mine? Bummer!
Thanks you if you can help.
The only thing I can do is every day if I can't get like you got, is tic on STOP SDM or will that cause a problem Stopping SDM, until I was to restart the phone then SDM will be on again. I love 4.3 Jell Bean it's 99.99 good, better than the problems some are having with Kitkat.
This morning after 3 weeks declining the software update, it downloaded on it's own, will it install on it's own or will it ask me too? I like what you did s per your instruction, but Software update does not show up in my Application Manager, Help!

Last edited:

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site

OK nemsis, how did you get your phone to show Software update, to turn off or disable to show up in your Application Manager. I turned off the Wif,i then did a Factory reset, I did not log into Google Account, matter of fact I'm still not going to log in yet, if you can let me know How it shows in yours, but not mine? Bummer!
The only thing I can do is every day if I can't get like you got, is tic on STOP SDM or will that cause a problem Stopping SDM, until I was to restart the phone then SDM will be on again. I love 4.3 Jell Bean it's 99.99 good, better than the problems some are having with Kitkat.
This morning after 3 weeks declining the software update, it downloaded on it's own, will it install on it's own or will it ask me too? I like what you did s per your instruction, but Software update does not show up in my Application Manager, Help!

If I were you I'd do a factory reset on the phone and delete your cache,. Just make sure you back everything up first. The update data shouldn't survive a reset. It's extreme but if you don't they will force KitKat down your throat.

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site

After I do the same steps of Factory reset. what or where of doing deleting my cache. sorry i'm green about all this? sorry, so deleting the cache after like you said do the Factory reset, then what? thanks for replying. My wife is very nervous of me screwing something up too.
The same Samsung guy Jeff would like to know too how you did this for me too let him know, he may know what you are trying to explain to me. Thanks again if you can explain the steps.
Is that the Application cache, not the Application data? and is it deleting or clearing Cache? Sorry for me sounding so lame.
Well I think I found out to wipe cache which you told me to do, I did a practice run:
Held all 3 buttons down Vol.up Home, and power, and used the vol. go down to wipe cache, and hit power button to restart. I was still not logged into Googles after the I did the Factory reset early ago, so no Software update in App. manager. so I guess was that what you were instructing me what to do a cache wipe?
Tomorrow I'll do another Factory reset, and do another cache wipe. If that does not do the trick, I guess I'll just say STOP on the SDM or what ever. or and bit the bullet what ever happens, Darn Samsung/Googles.
One more thing, unsure if wipe Cache went well, the little Andriod guy was laying on his back, stomach opened up, then went down with vol. to Wipe Cache then his stomach close if I remembered right, phone did not reboot, scrolled to restart pressed off/on and phone rebooted. Did I do OK?

Last edited:

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Yes I was referring to wiping the cache. You did exactly what I was talking about. Did you still see the update was waiting for you to install? Who is your carrier? Each carrier has a different policy. On at&t they can push the update to you whether you want it or not. If you ignore it long enough it will just update itself it really sucks. T-Mobile doesn't do that. You have to go and seek the update out with them. Hopefully the factory reset will resolve your issues.

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site

I have verizon S4, nether worked, Samsung said Update will go on my Phone wether I like it or not, since I have Verizon, Samsung guy said that's why it did not work for me of what you explained me to do. Thanks for your help. I doomed for Kitkat. Samsung, Travis told me he had Jelly Bean 4.3 on his S4, he was on the 3rd week of canceling Kitkat, then he got, the update forced it self on his Phone, he was OK with his phone, has a SD card, no problem with that too, he did not do anything different, it just installed the update.
I told him he was one of the lucky ones with no problems.
Our friend just called us today, she got a brand new phone from Verizon, because her son downloaded the Kitkat and it bricked the phone, scary! Thank again.

Last edited:

nemsis72

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Did u not read my instructions? Go to settings tap on application manager, once in the app section slide it over to "all", when u first open application manager it has you under downloads. Slide to all ok? Then scroll down to software update, there might be 2 of them. Shut off the one with the most data, well u can actually just shut one off. Thats the one u want off! Simple my friend!!! Good luck. Factory reset again to erase the kitkat download. Then do my instructions.

nemsis72

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I have verizon S4, nether worked, Samsung said Update will go on my Phone wether I like it or not, since I have Verizon, Samsung guy said that's why it did not work for me of what you explained me to do. Thanks for your help. I doomed for Kitkat. Samsung, Travis told me he had Jelly Bean 4.3 on his S4, he was on the 3rd week of canceling Kitkat, then he got, the update forced it self on his Phone, he was OK with his phone, has a SD card, no problem with that too, he did not do anything different, it just installed the update.
I told him he was one of the lucky ones with no problems.
Our friend just called us today, she got a brand new phone from Verizon, because her son downloaded the Kitkat and it bricked the phone, scary! Thank again.

It works on any Android phone no matter what carrier. Turn off your software update app. To not get instant kit kat download!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair