How to Avoid KitKat OTA on Galaxy Note 3

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have the Tmobile Galaxy Note 3 and I currently have Jellybean 4.3 and my phone wants to upgrade itself to the buggy ridden 4.4.2 version of KitKat. My phone already downloaded the update but has yet to install it. How can I permanently delete the "update file" to ensure that my phone won't upgrade itself? I want to wait until 4.4.3 which I hope fixes all of the issues that the phones are having. Any ideas? Please help!!!

Amia BooMaster

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to avoid KitKat 4.4.2 update?

Umm my note 3 is just fine on KitKat. But anyway you'll need to root which will be fine because I believe Knox on screws you over if your on KitKat.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Amia,

So you're on KitKat 4.4.2 and you've been having absolutely no issues with it? I've just read too many posts about people having severe problems with it that I am hesitant to upgrade. I do feel however that 4.4.3 is just around the corner and google will hopefulyl release it late this month. In terms of rooting the phone, is the Andriod Kingo Root the best rooting program. I believe it only works on phones with an OS of Jelly Bean 4.3 or lower and not any later versions which include KitKat, could you please confirm? I need your advice, should I upgrade to KitKat or root and avoid the update? I keep getting the notifcation that the KitKat update is available, would my phone automatially install it? I already downloaded the file onto my phone.

Thank You,
Atte: Arturo Guillen

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Any specific problems? Are they issues you know for sure will impact how you use the device? Remember, people that post in enthusiast forums will complain about EVERYTHING, including if the alignment of something is off by a couple pixels. That's why I ask if you know for sure that the bugs you're worried about will impact your usage. Also, "bugs" reported on one manufacturers devices may not be apparent in your device, due to manufacturer skins, for this reason you may be best to post in the forum specific to your device, to see if anyone has seen the bugs you're worried about.

My Moto X is on 4.4.2 and has been working fine. I'm not a power user or heavy user by any means, but I haven't seen any issues. If you're waiting for a "bug-free" release, you'll be waiting a LONG time...

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

The specific problems are the ones outlined here and on other websites like: battery drain, wifi connectivity issues, data randomly stops working, phone heating up, screen staying black, and text messages not getting through. These are issues were even the most novice users would have a gripe about. I know people were complaining about these things as soon as they upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2, but like you said I'm still not sure if this is specific to my device. However, I have heard some T-mobile Note 3 users who have had no issues with the new KitKat and have actually seen improvements in their battery life, but it appears the majority of users are having problems. I understand no update will ever be 100% bug free, but I feel like google dropped the ball on this one. Just my two cents.

BadgerVadge907

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Man, the CyanogenMod11 Kitkat ROM is worth the work! OTA KK comes with a whole brady bunch of samsung apps, google everything...I used to have JB 4.3 and KNOX was a b**** to deal with. glad im running CM11 now. Some days i dont even need to charge my phone, and the CPU is so held back from its potential. either way KK is better to have then 4.3, mostly because of battery consumption. but when you root and rom that its like getting a new phone.

raggedsphincter

May 8, 2014
Visit site

@ Hallux
Well I can certainly give you a few of specifics
Both my girlfriend and my Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets have developed very serious faults since the KitKat upgrade

Both handsets now badly overheat (so badly I have told my GF not to use hers anymore they are both going back to Carphone warehouse this weekend)
Both handsets now have appalling battery life! (neither phone runs a working day any longer)
Both handsets lock up a couple of times a day! (neither handset did it even once before this appalling bug ridden update)

In addition:
In their infinite wisdom sic! Google's band of arrogant incompetents have removed the settings button shortcut to Play Store in the Apps view yet more clicks to get to where you want to go! That is assuming the handset is cool enough to handle of course. This bunch make even Apple look like they know what they are doing little wonder they make it Sooo difficult to contact them!!

This is just typical of software engineers they do not like testing, so , they don't do any!

I am now trying to find some way to let Google know any help on that front would be great!

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

@ Hallux
Well I can certainly give you a few of specifics
Both my girlfriend and my Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets have developed very serious faults since the KitKat upgrade

Both handsets now badly overheat (so badly I have told my GF not to use hers anymore they are both going back to Carphone warehouse this weekend)
Both handsets now have appalling battery life! (neither phone runs a working day any longer)
Both handsets lock up a couple of times a day! (neither handset did it even once before this appalling bug ridden update)

In addition:
In their infinite wisdom sic! Google's band of arrogant incompetents have removed the settings button shortcut to Play Store in the Apps view yet more clicks to get to where you want to go! That is assuming the handset is cool enough to handle of course. This bunch make even Apple look like they know what they are doing little wonder they make it Sooo difficult to contact them!!

This is just typical of software engineers they do not like testing, so , they don't do any!

I am now trying to find some way to let Google know any help on that front would be great!

You need to remember, your update was released by SAMSUNG, not Google (unless you have a GPE S4). My Moto X does not heat up, access to the Play Store is dead simple (the shortcut was even in a group of Google apps placed on my home screen!) and my battery can make it through the day - with admittedly light use - with no problems.

Your complaint should go to Samsung (unless you have a GPE device) as Samsung built, tested and released your update. If your phone isn't the GPE S4 you have Samsung's TouchWiz interface, that adds a whole other level of complexity to the update. BTW, some suggest doing a FDR (Factory Data Reset) after a major OS update, did you try that to resolve your issues?

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Why wouldn't you want some of that Kit-Katniss hunger game status!! lol

LightaDroid,

Haha I know I would man lol

Where do you get the "CyanogenMod11 Kitkat ROM "? Yeah I do hate that they throw in all of these ****ty apps with the phone. Call me ignorant but what exactly is "KNOX"? Could you post a link that shows me how to root and rom to that mod of KitKat please? Since I am a noob with these rooting procedures would Kingo Root be the best program to use or what do you guys recommend? Would Kingo Root be compatible with any phone on any OS? Sorry for all the questions :)

Thank You,
Arturo Guillen

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

You need to remember, your update was released by SAMSUNG, not Google (unless you have a GPE S4). My Moto X does not heat up, access to the Play Store is dead simple (the shortcut was even in a group of Google apps placed on my home screen!) and my battery can make it through the day - with admittedly light use - with no problems.

Your complaint should go to Samsung (unless you have a GPE device) as Samsung built, tested and released your update. If your phone isn't the GPE S4 you have Samsung's TouchWiz interface, that adds a whole other level of complexity to the update. BTW, some suggest doing a FDR (Factory Data Reset) after a major OS update, did you try that to resolve your issues?

I would like to add my Moto X running 4.4.2 has been the most stable phone I've used so far. No issues. I also had a play access icon and the phone only overheats on heavy use which is to be expected.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Duro, I suggest you locate the device-specific forum on the main forums page. In there you will likely find a section devoted to rooting and ROMs, you can find much of the info you seek there. You may also look at cyanogenmod.org for info on the ROM.

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I saw your post and had to chime in. How does your phone work with Jelly Bean? Does it give you major issues? Are you unhappy with its performance? Do you use an sd card? If you don't use an sd card and are unhappy with Jelly Bean then Kit Kat might be a good way to move. I discovered that I lose way more than I gain by switching to Kit Kat so I will never upgrade. I do not want to root my phone to return the sd card functionality I had before upgrading. I don't want to have to use a special flash .apk to be able to surf flash sites like I can now. I don't want worse battery life and I want my apps to have access to the sd card for backups and recordings.

If you can back up your files do so and do full factory reset with a cache wipe. Hopefully that will remove the downloaded 'upgrade' off your phone and hope and pray you never get it again. I would also disable the software update app so you won't accidently upgrade in the future. Know if you do get Kit kat you can NEVER return to Jelly bean. If other people were uphappy with jelly bean and prefer kit kat more power to them but there is a reason why so many have complained about kit kat. I hope you can keep your phone the way YOU want it.

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

My phone runs fine with Jelly Bean, no really major issues just maybe that I'd hope the battery life would last longer then it does. Sometimes I feel it is a big laggy and programs close unexpectedly but that is just an annoyance that is easy to get over. I currrently do not have an sd card, however I do plan on getting one in the near future and being able to save things on it. Can you specify what are the capabilities with the SD card with Jelly Bean vs KitKat. I think I read about it but I would appreciate if you broke it down for me. So you did upgrade to KitKat but are choosing not to root, correct? What app do I use for a full back-up? Most likely I will not upgrade based on what I've been reading here and everywehre else, but I am still very hesitant to root my device.

Atte:
Arturo Guillen

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

If you can back up your files do so and do full factory reset with a cache wipe. Hopefully that will remove the downloaded 'upgrade' off your phone and hope and pray you never get it again. I would also disable the software update app so you won't accidently upgrade in the future. Know if you do get Kit kat you can NEVER return to Jelly bean. If other people were uphappy with jelly bean and prefer kit kat more power to them but there is a reason why so many have complained about kit kat. I hope you can keep your phone the way YOU want it.

It won't. The factory reset isn't exactly a "factory reset" in that it won't uninstall an OS update. Consider that the OS itself is doing the "factory reset", so if you updated to 4.4, 4.4 will return that device to what it would have been if it had shipped with that OS.

I suggest doing the factory reset anyway, it might resolve some of the issues duro is seeing. Many people suggest doing the reset any time a major OS update is installed (4.2 to 4.4.2 would be one of those).

The changes to SD access as I understand them are this: apps no longer have the ability to in any place they wish on the SD card. Jerry (from this site) explains the changes here

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site

It won't. The factory reset isn't exactly a "factory reset" in that it won't uninstall an OS update. Consider that the OS itself is doing the "factory reset", so if you updated to 4.4, 4.4 will return that device to what it would have been if it had shipped with that OS.

It was my understanding that he only downloaded the update. As long as it hasn't been installed a factory reset should delete that downloaded update file.

May 11, 2014
Visit site

Ok so I had the LG G2 no problems nothing a few months in i noticed the Google.gapps popping up on reboots i thought nothing of it then i realized I wasn't able to send or receive picture messages by text over wifi i exchanged the phone twice thinking just a defect finally i decide to get rid of it an i went with the LG Flex had no problems yesterday i got the update for the Kit Kat an now i am having the same problem i did before with the G2 is anyone else having this issue?

Posted via Android Central App

duro1990

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

It was my understanding that he only downloaded the update. As long as it hasn't been installed a factory reset should delete that downloaded update file.

DarkMage,

That is correct I only downloaded the update onto my phone but haven't installed it. Would doing a factory reset get rid of that update file on my phone? Thanks for posting the link about the SD card hallux. Do you agree with google on what they did there?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon