Knox ????

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I keep running across threads talking about Knox being tripped, etc.
What the heck is Knox?
I've done a phone search......
Nothing!
Please explain!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung mobile security solution. Separates work/play stuff for businesses/enterprises to cover generally weak android security. Think containerization or partitioning to insulate/protect corporate stuff.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Samsung mobile security solution. Separates work/play stuff for businesses/enterprises to cover generally weak android security. Think containerization or partitioning to insulate/protect corporate stuff.

Is it the same as using VPN ?
I have never set up a password to use this but every time I try to register a password it will not let me, says my password is no good!
(Maybe I can't use this on the Verizon network?)

"Size does matter!"

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Is it the same as using VPN ?
I have never set up a password to use this but every time I try to register a password it will not let me, says my password is no good!
(Maybe I can't use this on the Verizon network?)

"Size does matter!"

I was just told by our IT guy at work that a VPN is not the same as Knox but is similar in what they do. That being said, is Samsung Knox an app or is it already on this phone some where? I guess I don't really understand. 😠

"Size does matter!"

johnmltb33

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
If you look in Settings-- Application Manager--all the way to the right, under All, you can scroll down and see not only KNOX, but KNOX Notification Manager, KNOX Store, and KLMS Agent are already installed on the Note 3. More than that I don't know, as I have never tried to activate it or use it. I would guess that if you wanted to use it, at least it is available. I've read that it is mostly used as an extra security measure for individuals using their personal mobile device at work as well as at home (an extra security blanket for corporate info).

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If you look in Settings-- Application Manager--all the way to the right, under All, you can scroll down and see not only KNOX, but KNOX Notification Manager, KNOX Store, and KLMS Agent are already installed on the Note 3. More than that I don't know, as I have never tried to activate it or use it. I would guess that if you wanted to use it, at least it is available. I've read that it is mostly used as an extra security measure for individuals using their personal mobile device at work as well as at home (an extra security blanket for corporate info).

I see them listed there and they appear to be turned off and I don't see how to activate them. Although I don't know that I really have a use for it!
Thanks!

"Size does matter!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
As far as I understood early on, it doesn't apply in the UK. Though it's installed, there is little data. So probably can't help.
There was a UK guy on AC who had a repair initially turned down by a store because he had rooted and tripped Knox. He got on to Samsung and they repaired it via pre-pay envelope, no questions asked.
So I am waiting for someone to fully explain the tripping Knox counter bit.

*ON EDIT : and I'm fairly sure there was an icon in the Samsung or Galaxy folder, and that's the part I disabled/turned off.

3uta9ega.jpg

y5arymeh.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I / we do know of course that installing a custom rom that will trip the Knox counter will identify that the warranty is void to the repairer, though a lot of custom installations can be installed without tripping - and I already don't know what I am talking about.
Like you, that's just what I picked up in threads, and have currently no intention of rooting or installing custom roms. Are they the same thing?

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I / we do know of course that installing a custom rom that will trip the Knox counter will identify that the warranty is void to the repairer, though a lot of custom installations can be installed without tripping - and I already don't know what I am talking about.
Like you, that's just what I picked up in threads, and have currently no intention of rooting or installing custom roms. Are they the same thing?

From what I can tell Knox is basically the same as a VPN.
You can set up your phone for business and also seperately for your private use.
It is installed on my phone but I see no way to start it or access it for use, it is turned off.
And as far as "tripping Knox"
I don't have a clue what they are talking about!

"Size does matter!"

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
What's on my phone.

"Size does matter!"

Attachments

• 1399496872483.jpg
    1399496872483.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 1399496888512.jpg
    1399496888512.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 25

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I don't know. There seems to be two separate aspects to Knox, but there's probably a connection. Knox the 'security solution' as described in the posts by @marshalark and @themacs - and tripping Knox. As said you won't 'trip' the Knox 'counter' unless you root and / or install a custom rom in a way that doesn't avoid this. Tripping the knox counter apparently voids your warranty.

I have a feeling Knox is no longer active on some or all Note 3's, but apparently there is a new knox 2.0 announced today for the S5.
On the link below you are apparently able to switch between the more secure Knox layer/mode with a password (and only access certain apps - no screenshots), and the normal mode.

This is the blind leading the blind here.

I don't know if you think it would be helpful to you in your work to avail of this extra security.
I cannot reactivate the disabled part of Knox on my phone so it doesn't work. Again early on AC I was sure it didn't activate in the UK but now I'm not sure. Before and after Kitkat there were a lot of threads for people who wanted to install KK early, or those who wanted to go back to 4.3, and they were afraid of tripping knox.
I would go to the ROM threads for further advice.

What is Samsung Knox?
and
https://www.samsungknox.com/en/solutions/knox/features/apps

Last edited:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell Knox is basically the same as a VPN.
You can set up your phone for business and also seperately for your private use.
It is installed on my phone but I see no way to start it or access it for use, it is turned off.
And as far as "tripping Knox"
I don't have a clue what they are talking about!

"Size does matter!"

Your pictures show that it is on - not off.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, but they don't work!

"Size does matter!"
I have a shortcut to Knox but haven't pressed it to see what happens and don't want to. If you are using the stock launcher it will be in the Samsung folder that has all the Samsung apps grouped together. If you are using another launcher it may just be in your app list.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a shortcut to Knox but haven't pressed it to see what happens and don't want to. If you are using the stock launcher it will be in the Samsung folder that has all the Samsung apps grouped together. If you are using another launcher it may just be in your app list.

jpr, No shortcut and not in my Samsung tray or folder.
Just dead apps in the application manager list!
Maybe Verizon doesn't support this? I don't know.

"Size does matter!"

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
jpr, No shortcut and not in my Samsung tray or folder.
Just dead apps in the application manager list!
Maybe Verizon doesn't support this? I don't know.

"Size does matter!"

Oh, Verizon. I don't miss them. I'm on T-mobile so I don't know. Basically Knox allows you to run apps separately for work and personal use and encrypts the work area. The new version that came out today for the S5 (not note yet) creates a completely separate app store and allows separate billing for work and personal use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance