Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Knox ????

I keep running across threads talking about Knox being tripped, etc.
    What the heck is Knox?
    I've done a phone search......
    Nothing!
    Please explain!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"

Default Re: Knox ????

KNOX is a comprehensive hardware and software security solution for Samsung devices.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts

Samsung mobile security solution. Separates work/play stuff for businesses/enterprises to cover generally weak android security. Think containerization or partitioning to insulate/protect corporate stuff.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Samsung mobile security solution. Separates work/play stuff for businesses/enterprises to cover generally weak android security. Think containerization or partitioning to insulate/protect corporate stuff.
    Is it the same as using VPN ?
    I have never set up a password to use this but every time I try to register a password it will not let me, says my password is no good!
    (Maybe I can't use this on the Verizon network?)

"Size does matter!"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopiejoe View Post
    Is it the same as using VPN ?
    I have never set up a password to use this but every time I try to register a password it will not let me, says my password is no good!
    (Maybe I can't use this on the Verizon network?)

"Size does matter!"
    I was just told by our IT guy at work that a VPN is not the same as Knox but is similar in what they do. That being said, is Samsung Knox an app or is it already on this phone some where? I guess I don't really understand. 😠

"Size does matter!"

If you look in Settings-- Application Manager--all the way to the right, under All, you can scroll down and see not only KNOX, but KNOX Notification Manager, KNOX Store, and KLMS Agent are already installed on the Note 3. More than that I don't know, as I have never tried to activate it or use it. I would guess that if you wanted to use it, at least it is available. I've read that it is mostly used as an extra security measure for individuals using their personal mobile device at work as well as at home (an extra security blanket for corporate info).
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by johnmltb33 View Post
    If you look in Settings-- Application Manager--all the way to the right, under All, you can scroll down and see not only KNOX, but KNOX Notification Manager, KNOX Store, and KLMS Agent are already installed on the Note 3. More than that I don't know, as I have never tried to activate it or use it. I would guess that if you wanted to use it, at least it is available. I've read that it is mostly used as an extra security measure for individuals using their personal mobile device at work as well as at home (an extra security blanket for corporate info).
    I see them listed there and they appear to be turned off and I don't see how to activate them. Although I don't know that I really have a use for it!
    Thanks!

"Size does matter!"

Hmmm ..... well ....... alright -

"Who's there?" - - - - - -
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Hmmm ..... well ....... alright -

"Who's there?" - - - - - -
    Madd54 ! Have you something to add? I'd like to hear from you!

"Size does matter!"

As far as I understood early on, it doesn't apply in the UK. Though it's installed, there is little data. So probably can't help.
    There was a UK guy on AC who had a repair initially turned down by a store because he had rooted and tripped Knox. He got on to Samsung and they repaired it via pre-pay envelope, no questions asked.
    So I am waiting for someone to fully explain the tripping Knox counter bit.

*ON EDIT : and I'm fairly sure there was an icon in the Samsung or Galaxy folder, and that's the part I disabled/turned off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

I / we do know of course that installing a custom rom that will trip the Knox counter will identify that the warranty is void to the repairer, though a lot of custom installations can be installed without tripping - and I already don't know what I am talking about.
    Like you, that's just what I picked up in threads, and have currently no intention of rooting or installing custom roms. Are they the same thing?

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I / we do know of course that installing a custom rom that will trip the Knox counter will identify that the warranty is void to the repairer, though a lot of custom installations can be installed without tripping - and I already don't know what I am talking about.
    Like you, that's just what I picked up in threads, and have currently no intention of rooting or installing custom roms. Are they the same thing?

From what I can tell Knox is basically the same as a VPN.
    You can set up your phone for business and also seperately for your private use.
    It is installed on my phone but I see no way to start it or access it for use, it is turned off.
    And as far as "tripping Knox"
    I don't have a clue what they are talking about!

"Size does matter!"
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

What's on my phone.

"Size does matter!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knox ????-1399496872483.jpg   Knox ????-1399496888512.jpg  

Here's what I don't know. There seems to be two separate aspects to Knox, but there's probably a connection. Knox the 'security solution' as described in the posts by @marshalark and @themacs - and tripping Knox. As said you won't 'trip' the Knox 'counter' unless you root and / or install a custom rom in a way that doesn't avoid this. Tripping the knox counter apparently voids your warranty.

I have a feeling Knox is no longer active on some or all Note 3's, but apparently there is a new knox 2.0 announced today for the S5.
    On the link below you are apparently able to switch between the more secure Knox layer/mode with a password (and only access certain apps - no screenshots), and the normal mode.

This is the blind leading the blind here.

I don't know if you think it would be helpful to you in your work to avail of this extra security.
    I cannot reactivate the disabled part of Knox on my phone so it doesn't work. Again early on AC I was sure it didn't activate in the UK but now I'm not sure. Before and after Kitkat there were a lot of threads for people who wanted to install KK early, or those who wanted to go back to 4.3, and they were afraid of tripping knox.
    I would go to the ROM threads for further advice.

What is Samsung Knox?
    and
    https://www.samsungknox.com/en/solut.../features/apps
    Last edited by Madd54; 05-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Thanked by:

What's on my phone.

"Size does matter!"
    Yes. much like mine. there's nothing to enable. is weird. I think its defunct.

This poster Duncan should know -
    S5 Rom/Firmware for the Note 3
    Thanked by:

From what I can tell Knox is basically the same as a VPN.
    You can set up your phone for business and also seperately for your private use.
    It is installed on my phone but I see no way to start it or access it for use, it is turned off.
    And as far as "tripping Knox"
    I don't have a clue what they are talking about!

"Size does matter!"
    Your pictures show that it is on - not off.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Your pictures show that it is on - not off.
    Maybe, but they don't work!

"Size does matter!"

Maybe, but they don't work!

"Size does matter!"
    I have a shortcut to Knox but haven't pressed it to see what happens and don't want to. If you are using the stock launcher it will be in the Samsung folder that has all the Samsung apps grouped together. If you are using another launcher it may just be in your app list.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    I have a shortcut to Knox but haven't pressed it to see what happens and don't want to. If you are using the stock launcher it will be in the Samsung folder that has all the Samsung apps grouped together. If you are using another launcher it may just be in your app list.
    jpr, No shortcut and not in my Samsung tray or folder.
    Just dead apps in the application manager list!
    Maybe Verizon doesn't support this? I don't know.

"Size does matter!"

jpr, No shortcut and not in my Samsung tray or folder.
    Just dead apps in the application manager list!
    Maybe Verizon doesn't support this? I don't know.

"Size does matter!"
    Oh, Verizon. I don't miss them. I'm on T-mobile so I don't know. Basically Knox allows you to run apps separately for work and personal use and encrypts the work area. The new version that came out today for the S5 (not note yet) creates a completely separate app store and allows separate billing for work and personal use.
    Thanked by:
    Jalopiejoe likes this.

There are two different functions of Knox.

1. Enterprise security and management that uses encryption even down to the bootloader. This is were the Knox counter is. This is what people are afraid of tripping to void their warrenty.

2. Knox personal is a further implementation that consumers can use without their enterprise influence. It effectively allows the user to run two phones in one. It functions as a app on the phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
    Thanked by 2:
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    There are two different functions of Knox.

1. Enterprise security and management that uses encryption even down to the bootloader. This is were the Knox counter is. This is what people are afraid of tripping to void their warrenty.

2. Knox personal is a further implementation that consumers can use without their enterprise influence. It effectively allows the user to run two phones in one. It functions as a app on the phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    I just called Samsung and found out that Verizon does not support Knox on the Note 3 at this time. (Maybe when they release KitKat?)
    So I guess that's that!
    Thanks everyone!

"Size does matter!"
    johnmltb33 and anon8380037 like this.

I just called Samsung and found out that Verizon does not support Knox on the Note 3 at this time. (Maybe when they release KitKat?)
    So I guess that's that!
    I assure you Knox enterprise is on the device. What they are not installing is the KNOX personal stub so you can download the app to enable consumer use of the technology.
    Craig
    Thanked by 2:
    johnmltb33 likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    I assure you Knox enterprise is on the device. What they are not installing is the KNOX personal stub so you can download the app to enable consumer use of the technology.
    That's basically what I was trying to say. It's on the phone but Verizon does not allow access to it at this time.

"Size does matter!"
    Last edited by Jalopiejoe; 05-08-2014 at 09:05 AM.

That isn't true.

Knox enterprise is very much available if your enterprise wants to use it. It is part of the low level firmware from Samsung

Knox personal may be available if you can find a valid APK to load the stub. I use KNOX personal on my Note 3. Mine is on ATT and they don't officially support it either. I did find a valid stub that worked with my phone though and I was able to install it fine.
    Craig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast