Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default Anyway to activate the note on DATA ONLY on any carrier?

I have an iphone through my company but would like to have a small pocketable android tablet with data only. I am considering the nexus 7 but would much prefer a note 3 as it is smaller and has the s pen. I am photographer and the android devices work better with with my wireless SD cards and Wifi enabled cameras better than iOS devices.

I really dont want to pay for another phone access for this device. I am open to any devices from 5 inch to 7 inch but need it to be smaller than the Nexus 7 so it can fit in my pocket.

Thanks

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyway to activate the note on DATA ONLY on any carrier?

Interesting question... Doubtful any of the big 4 would set you up with a data only plan, though they may have it. You may have better luck buying an off-contract phone and checking with your smaller local carriers, and even pay-as-you-go carriers.

The Note 3 sounds like it'd be right up your alley. The Galaxy s4 or s5 would be too, but their screen size is a bit smaller than the Note.

Good luck

Although not exactly what you asked for, one thing I would suggest you consider is the $30 prepaid Tmobile plan that I use. It is available only with either online new activations or through walmart but I suggest just doing it online at the tmobile prepaid site. It is unlimited data, including 5GB of LTE, unlimited text, 100 minutes talk. So while technically a phone plan, it is really focused on data and provides a good amount of LTE for the price. This is an easy way to get a phone on what is essentially a data plan with perks.
    cellomj likes this.

My factory Galaxy S2 will work through wifi on a payg sim with no credit, or no sim at all.
    I'm sure my Note 3 will do the same, but I have a cut down full sim, and won't prise it out until I need to.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

I believe that you can do so on Verizon. I know Verizon allows a smartphone sim into tablets and hotspots. So if you have a tablet sim, then I would think that it should work on the note 3. But keep in mind that you would have to activate a tablet on the line first. Then swap sim to the note 3. Verizon won't let you activate the note 3 directly on a tablet plan.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Amazon.co.uk sell payg pre-loaded data only sims valid for 1-3 months, on 2 or 3 carriers. Maybe there is similar on Amazon.com.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Although not exactly what you asked for, one thing I would suggest you consider is the $30 prepaid Tmobile plan that I use. It is available only with either online new activations or through walmart but I suggest just doing it online at the tmobile prepaid site. It is unlimited data, including 5GB of LTE, unlimited text, 100 minutes talk. So while technically a phone plan, it is really focused on data and provides a good amount of LTE for the price. This is an easy way to get a phone on what is essentially a data plan with perks.
    I would do this, personally. It's about the same price as a data only plan and you don't have to worry about data overages.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

I've been debating something along these lines for a while. The plans are all a crap-ton cheaper than my current overpriced capped plan from Big Red. But Tmo's network speeds in my area suck, and the coverage is probably worse.