What apps have you found that Sucks the battery like crazy?

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So was curious if you guys knew of specific apps that will drain your Note 3 battery like crazy

For example I usually use Pandora but yesterday decided to use Spotify. Holy crap it drained my battery like crazy. And to make sure it wasn't all in my head I went after about 3 hours of streaming and checked, and sure enough it said Spotify has used up 7% of total battery usage so far. It was third behind the screen, and Android OS. Wow!

So now back with Pandora

Any other apps or games you noticed is a battery drainer?

FYI, plants vs zombies 2 will kill your battery like no one's business! :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This thread should be interesting. I have nothing that shows up as heavy recently. About 110 downloaded apps. Real Racing 3 will obviously use a lot on the rare time I play my only game.
No social media. So save your battery, ditch friends and family. :)

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I saw that even gsam was causing battery drain when I installed it. .

I am curious to see which of the specific Android system apps drain the battery. . Android system is very close the the% used by the screen for me. . I get about 4.5 hours of screen on time on average

Posted via Android Central App

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I saw that even gsam was causing battery drain when I installed it. .

I am curious to see which of the specific Android system apps drain the battery. . Android system is very close the the% used by the screen for me. . I get about 4.5 hours of screen on time on average

Are you on the Kit Kat system? If so then yeah my Android system is usually second after the screen for battery usage.

You're 4.5 hrs screen on time is about right. I get about 10-12 hrs screen on time and I have the 6400 extended battery, which is double the stock battery.

Below is with 40% battery left. I used it a lot at work today for around 10 hrs straight. Pandora, Facebook, tapatalk, emails, texts, videos you name it

6ysavy5e.jpg

y5eqaqy8.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mobile hotspot when I am streaming on my tablet or pc and especially when I am downloading

Netflix, Firefox when streaming hd movies (the current Netflix app on the note 3 can't stream hd)
dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
@mchi5... Yeah my phone came with kitkat. ..From what you said makes sense that I am seeing as much screen on time as I am with the stock battery..I don't do much streaming though

I also see that wifi just drains the battery like a leech.. constantly and mercilessly over the day, while bluetooth is nothing like this (could be due to the better version that is bluetooth 4.0 LE)

I also play at least an hour of dead trigger 2 which has pretty intensive graphics.

Some process is constantly causing a partial CPU wake lock, though the drain is not so much during the night vs. during the day (only 4% over the night) without power saving enabled.

The anker 6400mah battery is awesome but made the phone just plain ugly. . And I was getting at least 50% left after a day so didn't make sense for me to have it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I also see that wifi just drains the battery like a leech.. constantly and mercilessly over the day, while bluetooth is nothing like this (could be due to the better version that is bluetooth 4.0 LE)

If you find Wi-Fi draining, I recently installed WiFi Matic. It's best when you visit the same wifi spots regularly, as I do. It remembers and turns wifi on and off. Its unobtrusive and you can switch it off.
I guess its my phone wifi's constant displeasure with the signal quality that makes it search and check all the time.
I find my battery drain is more consistent now, even though I have GPS on more (another app I have may be helping there). I used to start using my phone mostly between 2pm and 5-6 pm and the battery would drop off a cliff in 3 - 4 hours from 80% to below 30% just browsing, no streaming or games. Now its much better and linear.

I thought LTE was the more draining, but I don't have LTE while nearing the end of my old plan with a piggy back carrier. H+ is very good.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
^^Thanks. ..I just turn my wifi off now when I don't need it... But yes the wifi is a killer on the battery

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
@mchi5... Yeah my phone came with kitkat. ..From what you said makes sense that I am seeing as much screen on time as I am with the stock battery..I don't do much streaming though

I also play at least an hour of dead trigger 2 which has pretty intensive graphics.

Some process is constantly causing a partial CPU wake lock, though the drain is not so much during the night vs. during the day (only 4% over the night) without power saving enabled.

The anker 6400mah battery is awesome but made the phone just plain ugly. . And I was getting at least 50% left after a day so didn't make sense for me to have it.

I don't think the Anker battery makes the Note 3 ugly. It gives it a small bump in the back bit I think it fits the curve in my Palm of my hand better.

Besides wifi, I think GPS locator is a battery drain. I usually have the GPS turned off unless I need it. However. I am almost always on wifi at work and at home.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
NBA Gametime drained my battery horribly. Without me using it, it drained my battery 40% of the time which was higher than the screen percentage. I had never seen anything drain the battery more than the screen before.

It's the Note 3. Don't hate.

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Anker battery makes the Note 3 ugly. It gives it a small bump in the back bit I think it fits the curve in my Palm of my hand better.

Besides wifi, I think GPS locator is a battery drain. I usually have the GPS turned off unless I need it. However. I am almost always on wifi at work and at home.

Like I said, even for me the benefits of the extended battery outweighed the "ugliness" in the beginning but I just got too needled by how the phone looked and felt with the bigger battery.

Also, I would think that double the battery capacity would only double the thickness and not quadriple it.. Oh well, what do I know about battery technology. ..

Once, the Android process called andoid.process.media drained my battery like crazy and it went away when I formatted the sd card in my computer, and on the phone too.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I also found a lot of Antivirus programs drain your battery, like McAfee or Norton. Probably because it's always in the background and checking, especially if you have the Web security on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae