Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By officialclar
  • 1 Post By jpr
  • 1 Post By boudicca00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 uninstall problems

Hi all I have a new problem with my Note 3. I can no longer remove apps from the app drawer by holding my finger and dragging the icon to the remove icon in the top right corner. Nothing happens when I do this, to remove I have to drag it to the app info icon and then press uninstall. Any ideas ? I know some apps are part of the firmware but the ones I'm trying to delete are from the play store.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Note 3 uninstall problems

Have u tried a reboot? Cleared the cache?

Deb from my Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

By uninstall , do you mean just removing from home screen?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    anon8380037 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Wallbank View Post
    Hi all I have a new problem with my Note 3. I can no longer remove apps from the app drawer by holding my finger and dragging the icon to the remove icon in the top right corner. Nothing happens when I do this, to remove I have to drag it to the app info icon and then press uninstall. Any ideas ? I know some apps are part of the firmware but the ones I'm trying to delete are from the play store.

Not sure I get you, but you can only remove an apps icon that way from one of the honescreens you might have added the app to, as well as it being in the app drawer/or list. It just allows you to have that honescreen space for something else. The app and icon will still be there in the app drawer, ie touching the app button on the dock.
    To uninstall an app, the easiest way is to have it visible in an app drawer page, hit menu - uninstall, and touch the icon, all now with a red symbol.
    Probably a cleaner way is to delete cache, data, and uninstall in the app info in Applications Manager. I always clear cache in recovery after uninstalling but it probably is pointless.

via my Note 3 on AC's app
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

I'm pretty sure the OP is trying to uninstall an app directly from the App Drawer by long pressing the icon and dragging it to the Remove area. This is also a feature of the Google Now Launcher. To the OP--are you running TouchWiz or Google Now Launcher?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm running touchwiz. I'm sure this used to work before the recent update.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi Deb, yes I've tried rebooting.I can still uninstall apps but somethings changed

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

No uninstall an app from the system not just the home screen.
    I'm sure it used to work this way before the small update last week

@B.Diddy - OK. Maybe something changed in KK. But if I hold an icon in the app drawer I can wipe it up to the remove area or app info area. Meantime the app drawer has changed to a homescreen image. Remove will not remove the app, though bringing it up to app info is a shortcut and I can remove it there. Must vary with phones, Touchwiz versions and launchers. I only know this Note 3 and GS2.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    B. Diddy likes this.

I swear - some days Android or Touchwiz drives me bonkers.
    Too many ways you can or cannot do things in different versions.
    It's trying to be too clever, but in reality it's still a complete mess.

I wish there was a real alternative for messaging, browsing and using the commercial apps you have to have these days. I don't want anything else, not even a camera.
    I can't use an Apple without buying the whole eco system.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Madd54; 05-10-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Sounds like you might do well with a Nexus device!

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    anon8380037 likes this.

We have the same problem. I just noticed that after the update the uninstall option on top (when an app is being pressed and held) is gone. I guess it was transferred here (check attachment). Also, I noticed a Play Store option. I didn't notice this before.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Note 3 uninstall problems-2014-05-11-12-43-46.jpg  
    anon8380037 likes this.

Those of you having problems seem to have a different menu than the rest of us. I guess it's your carrier or maybe you all have an unlocked non-carrier version? Here are screenshots from my T-mobile Note 3 running 4.4.2.

The first one is long-pressing on the app drawer. You can see there is no Remove option like some of you are mentioning - there is Uninstall and it does work properly.

The second is pressing the menu button in the app drawer. You can see how it differs from the person who posted above me.

The third is long-pressing on an app on a homescreen. This is the only place there is a Remove option and it is not intended to uninstall but to remove it from the homescreen.

Note 3 uninstall problems-screenshot_2014-05-10-22-08-38.jpg

Note 3 uninstall problems-screenshot_2014-05-10-21-59-13.jpg

Note 3 uninstall problems-screenshot_2014-05-10-22-09-07.jpg
    anon8380037 likes this.

The "remove" is usually just to get rid of the icon, not uninstall the app. At least in 4.3.
    If you swipe down from the top, click on the cog in the upper right, choose the General option in the upper right, then Application Manager, is the option to uninstall there? Are these just general apps you want to uninstall or possibly system related ones that you can't remove, short of rooting your device?

Also, on a regular screen, if you click on the Apps box in the bottom right, then long press on an icon in that list/grid, does the Uninstall option show up there?
    anon8380037 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by boudicca00 View Post
    The "remove" is usually just to get rid of the icon, not uninstall the app.
    Right, but if you're in the App Drawer (which is what the OP was specifying), the only option should be to Uninstall, since you can't just remove the icon from the App Drawer.

Whether Uninstall was there or not before on mine, like Bouddica it's only in the menu or app info now. It's true having Remove also for the app drawer makes no sense, so must be an oversight. I am also on 4.4.2.
    No Cancel button either.
    There was a disable option previously though.

@jpr that is very different.
    Question: if you use the Android Central app is the new 'attach picture' in the menu or in the 3 button overflow upper right. Apparently Notes put overflow options in the Menu.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Note 3 uninstall problems-2014-05-11-15-07-23.jpg   Note 3 uninstall problems-2014-05-11-15-06-53.jpg  

Madd54, I don't use the app. I posted from the phone browser.
    Thanked by: