Wifi is "saved, secured" but won't connect no matter what

Laxmi Vinjamuri

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Yessss... thank you so much for giving me the insight..

I too had the same situation.... wherein I felt that I was disconnected with my near & dear....
In spite of Hard Resetting and taken trouble to backup data, contacts... at last I found this forum...
which has really helped me... I have re-installed my WiFi Router which had instantly connected to
internet through my android smart phone... I am so happy.... But before all this happy out come
I am awake whole night managing my communication as why I was not on Whatsapp and intermittently
on computers too... oooofff.. it was like a juggling... any how ... Thanks a ton dear members of this forum..

Adrian Day

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a number of WiFi connections saved in my phone (including two different ones in my house) and sometimes even my own WiFi won't connect. I can see it fine and the status will change to "saved, secured" but it wont actually connect no matter how many times I click on it. This doesn't just happen with my WiFi, sometimes it will happen at work as well and since I'm the firewall admin I know there hasn't been a change to the AP settings. In fact I know there hasn't been a change to any of these devices and what's really strange is that without any changes it will start working again at some point. This happened with both my S4 and my Note 3 but never happened with my S3 (all the same WiFi networks). My buddy has iPhone 4 on the same networks at the same time and never has an issue.
Anyone else having this problem?

I've seen this with:
Fortigate AP's
Sonicwall AP's
Comcast home routers
Frontier home routers

Galaxy Note 4, here. First running JB, now Lollipop. The problem persisted across the update.
Upon disconnecting from an AP, the phone would not refresh it's available list despite indications it was scanning. It would also not connect to any AP even if I clicked in it.
The issue persisted across multiple APs at work, and home. Toggling WiFi off and back on would allow it to connect one time. Resetting would allow the same, but would not solve the issue.
I ended up doing a factory reset which appears to have resolved it for now.

Santoosh

May 6, 2015
Visit site
no need to reset any device, just remove the power chod from the WIFI modem while the modem is on and after 30 seconds re-insert the power chod. thats it. your connection will be restored. If the problem is still persists then you can find the device which is having the problem and reset it.

IceAge0121

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this same problem as well for quite a few months now. Either I will get "authentication error", or that "saved, secured" message. Usually with the router/modem, a reboot will get me back online for a while, but doing that is not always an option since people rely on their internet in this house.

One thing I did is share my wireless internet via my laptop's wireless card using connectify. Connecting to that will work for a time, but then it'll stop working. So far, if I stop my connectify hotspot, and then start it again, I can get back on wifi for a time.

I use an app called 2 battery that shuts off my wifi connection when the screen is off. I'm starting to wonder if that's causing the problem...

Just read that changing a routers security from WPA2 to WPA/WP2 might help. I did this, as well as changing encryption type from AES to AES/TKIP. Immediately I was able to connect to my router. I guess we'll have to wait and see how long this solution works for...

EDIT: There's an iPad in the house and another android phone that both have the same problem. Laptops seem to connect without issue, however.

Rilesx3

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but this is what resolved my problem. Maybe it'll help someone else:

I would enter my Wifi password in the settings area of the S6. The password window would disappear, and if I tried to open the network again it would not allow me to re-enter a password, so I assumed it was correct and connected (or trying to connect). Yet when I opened Chrome, it clearly said I wasn't connected to Wifi (nor was the wifi symbol showing at the top of the phone).

The problem: it was asking for my Wifi password, which I thought was the same password I could change by logging in to my router settings (at "192.17.143.xy...."). In fact, I could've sworn that's the password I had used to connect my nephew's tablet and other devices to my wifi. However, the S6, although it asks for "Wifi password", it wants your 10 digit alphanumeric code (in my case, my WEP-64 bit key). It looked something like "1XY50B794L" (completely made that one up though).

Sadly, I even consider myself pretty tech savvy. So if you've restarted your phone, router, changed the encryption, and have done everything else, you may just want to make sure that you're putting in the static code and not any kind of personal password. My 10 digit code was found both on a sticker on my router and on the basic security settings screen of my router's webpage. Hope that helps!

TeraNova

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I also encountered this problem and was able to figure out what was causing it.

In my case, I needed to disable "Auto Network Switch."

This deceptively named feature apparently compares the quality of your internet connection with the quality of your mobile data connection and favors whichever is faster. Since LTE is faster than my cable modem, it favors the LTE connection. If you disable this, Android reverts to the expected "favor Wifi until you cannot reach it at all and then go to mobile data" that I'm used to.

To get to it on my phone, I do the following:

Settings -> Connections Tabl -> Wifi -> Auto Network Switch -> UNCHECK.

I hope this helps others.

stitzik

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Had the same problem exactly with all smasung devices (different phones and a tablet) and my E3200 cisco/linksys router.
It seems there's a problem between Samsung devices and that router and the only thing that helped (after a lot of resets and rebooting...) was to assign a static IP address to the Samsung devices
Through the WIFI setting on the device, I pressed on the advanced options and put an IP address that I knew wasn't being used by other devices in my house and a second (!) later I had WIFI connection.

Hoped I've helped:)

zoukero

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I had that same problem for quite some time and I think I may have something that may help.

Several times I have reset my phone to factory mode and each time I did that my phone was fine and I could connect to any wifi in my home, work and other places. Yesterday I noticed that my wifi would not turn on whatsoever and I finally figured out why. I downloaded an app in the Samsung app store and before I was able to download that app, I had to download a security update pushed forward by Samsung. I clearly remembered downloading that update and shortly thereafter sure enough, my wifi was gone. I couldn't connect. I reset my phone and now it's perfectly fine. I THINK that security update my be what's causing so many problems with the wifi and possibly more problems with the Galaxy Note 2. I would advise your viewers to reset their phone to factory settings, completely DELETE everything on the phone and once they do that, go to Settings, click security and then click Security Policy Updates. UNCHECK automatic updates and that way we are not forced to update our security update on your phone through Samsung. A good alternative for securiting our phones would be the Lookout Mobile app which works wonders on my phone. Hopefully this helps others because this definitely saved my phone here.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wifi is "saved, secured" but won't connect no matter what

I have lots of wifi devices and I have assigned a static address to every single one. That way I can clearly name each device with a name I understand instead of gobblygook and i can check on them from wifi router controls. It also saves devices fighting over the same numbers disconnecting each other in the process.

I also found assigning media priority to any devices does more harm than good.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Wifi is "saved, secured" but won't connect no matter what

i have huawei mediapad t1 .. and i am suffering from the same problem ... there is no an option of "connect by wps" in this pad , it doesn't have a removable battery .. and i still can't know why it is doing this ,, other laptop , phones (even the old ones ) are connected easily ..

Legends Gamer

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a number of WiFi connections saved in my phone (including two different ones in my house) and sometimes even my own WiFi won't connect. I can see it fine and the status will change to "saved, secured" but it wont actually connect no matter how many times I click on it. This doesn't just happen with my WiFi, sometimes it will happen at work as well and since I'm the firewall admin I know there hasn't been a change to the AP settings. In fact I know there hasn't been a change to any of these devices and what's really strange is that without any changes it will start working again at some point. This happened with both my S4 and my Note 3 but never happened with my S3 (all the same WiFi networks). My buddy has iPhone 4 on the same networks at the same time and never has an issue.
Anyone else having this problem?

I've seen this with:
Fortigate AP's
Sonicwall AP's
Comcast home routers
Frontier home routers

There's no security policy updates. The security policy in stated by the government, law... it's on all phones. Trust me I might be 13 but I knew how to use technology ever since I was born. I'm going to a Houston collage as soon as I can. Don't reset your device. Reset your wifi there's ether a very small hole some where on the wifi box, or you can unplug it all then plug back in, or you could check your power box out side. If a wire was connected to your house for wifi you can dig that wire back up to see if it is damaged. IF NONE OF THAT WORKS PLEASE CONTACT YOUR wifi service company. For further answers and questions ask me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Viacheslav Garmash

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
That's could be a cause of problem.

Log into your wireless router, go to your wireless options, go to your encryption algorithm selection menu and change it to TKIP/AES, click apply... you are welcome!!

I have this issue at work where we have many Cisco APs. Using WiFi Analyser I found that they use CCMP-preauth and there is no AES-TKIP enabled. I have mixed results with connecting accross an office. As I learned CCMP is more secure that AES-TKIP so may be that's why the sysadmins choose it for WiFi.

So I can assume that connectivity issue could be cause by some combination а security settings in the router/access point which our Android phones could not support yet. AES-TKIP is available in every modern router/access point and all androids support it no problem. If you have access to your router settings, do what quinton cody Niswonger suggests and everything should go back to normal. ;)

Robert Edwards2

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Log into your wireless router, go to your wireless options, go to your encryption algorithm selection menu and change it to TKIP/AES, click apply... you are welcome!!

btw send me any verizon android phone that is better than a thunderbolt for free if you feel like thanking me!!!

I don't have a wps button on my router. So, like someone else suggested, I had overlooked the obvious. I turned the router off and then on again and all is well. I ASSumed that since my other devices were connecting and working fine that this wouldn't be the fix. And I was wrong. Live and learn.

imran khan_43

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
hi i have the same problem with my samsung galaxy s3 verizon version when i want to connect it wih my home network status showed saved secured ,i restored my phone,reset the router but it wont connect plesae guys help me

captmikeA320

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and last night I noticed the "saved, secured" notation on my phone but would not connect. After looking at many user suggestion for a possible resolution I decided to settle on only 1.

CHANNEL

When I first got the Arris SURFboard SBG6580 I was experimenting with increasing my WiFi download speed. I found that channel 2 gave me the best speed and used that for about 3 months without any problems until this problem occurred. I changed the channel to AUTO and the phone connected and I have not had any issue so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1