Wifi is "saved, secured" but won't connect no matter what

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Log into your wireless router, go to your wireless options, go to your encryption algorithm selection menu and change it to TKIP/AES, click apply... you are welcome!!

btw send me any verizon android phone that is better than a thunderbolt for free if you feel like thanking me!!!

Ed Kutsko

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue going on with a Galaxy S5 at my office only. It will show the office ssid as saved secured but does not connect. It's a hidden SSID of the type 802.1x with PEAP. I have found that if I make the phone forget the SSID and re-add it. It will work all day long. But the next morning it's the same issue. While at work I have done things like connect to another SSID then reconnect to the problem one with no issues. I have put the phone in airplane mode and then come back out and it will reconnect. I have power cycled and it reconnects. But 100% of the time when I come in the next day it will no longer connect unless I forget the connection and recreate it. This is extremely frustrating, since with the type of connection it is I have to put in a user id and password every time I re-create the connection.

maccy81

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
...I was having an issue on my galaxy s5. switch off my mobile data, turn on wifi. Had no wifi symbol display in the top bar of my screen, wifi was acknowledged as being on in my "Wireless Settings" and it showed my home network as 'saved and secured'. I tried and tried to connect, failing that I deleted the network and added it, re-entering my password. It would again, connect to the network, but drop moments later and still no symbol. I then landed on this feed and read about restoring to factory settings (not ideal because its a pain backing everything up!). Then watched a youtube video where someone changes your IP from 'DCHP' to a 'Static' IP which is easily done at the time of actually connecting to a network and entering the WEP key....tried and failed...but before I reset back to factory settings I simply took the battery out of my phone and switched off my router...waited about 5mins..switched the router back on, made sure it had a stable internet connection, then repowered my phone. Connected straight away and was back online. Now Im not saying that will work for everyone and I was F$#%ING shocked it worked for me...but maybe try the simple things first before restoring back to factory settings.

Hope this is a help to someone else lol. ;-)

mcg3745

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried disabling the wifi power saving mode? It worked for me.
*#0011#
Hit menu button
Select wifi
Disable power saving

Posted via the Android Central App

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wifi is "saved, secured" but won't connect no matter what

My wife was having the same issue since she got the phone. Have been trouble shooting it for weeks now. Thankfully she has unlimited data so it wasn't a huge issue.

The fix that I found for her was this.

For some reason she had location services turned off. Guess we use my GPS more. Anyway, turning that from GPS only to power saving or high accuracy, and also turning on the location services some how also affected the WiFi connection of the phone.

By turning both of those on it fixed the issue and she has full WiFi access.

Hope this helps others! Good luck.

Edit: so that only helped for approximately 24 hrs. Has now gone back to not actually utilizing the WiFi connection despite appearing connected. Guess we have a phone that has this issue.

Last edited:

CPeters40

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I unplugged the modem and router and did the reset button on the router.
This time my phone said "authentication failed".
Then I turned the wifi off my laptop.
I signed out of my phone network.
I signed back into my phone network. This time it worked! Then I turned my laptop back on.
All is good!

Billy54

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Welfeena. This solved the problem for me a few days ago and is still good. I think I may have caused the problem when trying to switch off my router to reset it which I've been advised to do weekly. I have to kneel down under a table and feel for the on/off switch. It's a bit dark and I remember pressing another button by mistake before finding the right button. Thanks again!

Robert V1

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I used the WPS on my LG M70 and it connected which It would not do on wifi the regular way but if the wifi is turned of or I leave the area and return the smart phone will no longer connect and I have to press the WPS option on the router and the phone all over again everytime I leave leave the building or turn of wifi.

Elena_m987

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I have an LG and I tried connecting it to the Wifi but all it says is save and secured then I click connect and it says connecting then it goes to out of range. I know its not my modem (I've tried unplugging it and unplugging the cords but it wont work, I even tried to on another modem but it kept doing the same thing.) I reseted my phone twice but it still won't work. One night I put it by the modem but still nothing. Help pleaseeeee!!!!

jazzy4764

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
OMG!!! I have the same problem too, where my wifi is saved, secired but no wifi connection at all to my samsung tablet, there is no wifi symbol flashing and when I tap my wifi name on the tablet it says secured but no wifi connection.

msRici

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same issue as the op on my Samsung Note 2 and was pretty confused by it since my laptop and other peripherals were connected to the same home Wi-Fi. I tried restarting both my phone and router but still the same thing. Forgetting my Wi-Fi didn't work. Taking out the battery and waiting it out didn't work. Resetting app preferences didn't work. As far asI know I didn't uninstall anything between the time it was working (during the morning), to the time it stopped connecting (this afternoon). So I started looking at my Wi-Fi menu options more closely and found a solution that doesn't require a hard reset.

If any of you have a router with a WPS button on it this could work for you too. With your phone on and the Wi-Fi in your list select from the menu options "WPS push button" It'll show a pop up with a bar filling up in blue and some instructions. Now push the WPS button once on the router. You'll see on the phone behind the pop up that it is connecting and the pop up will go away when it connects.

To test if it would stick I turned the Wi-Fi off on my phone and turned it back on again and it connected like normal. I hope this helps those concerned with their router.

Thanks a lot, it worked. but sidenote, that button on mine was called "QSS", which is a short for Quick Security Setup, which is a function that is supported by TP-LINK Wireless Routers and which complies with WPS so that setting up and configuring security on a wireless network is standardized and simplified.
So still worked. I had this problem for aaages :D so thanks again :)

Muilisx

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening to me lately ever since adding a bridge..

just forget the network on your phone by pressing the work and selecting forget network. Then unplug your modem/router, plug your modem in, wait for it to connect fully, and then plug in your router, and let that connect fully. THEN, reconnect to the router with your phone. This will work EVERY SINGLE TIME but the problem WILL return sooner or later and you have to do it again. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it but there's ABSOLUTELY NO REASON AT ALL to factory reset your phone. Your phone is NOT the problem. Who ever suggested that is a idi0t I'm sorry and has no network knowledge whatsoever.

IssueResolved

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
We discovered (through trial and error) this device will NOT connect to a Cisco wireless network if WPA2 and AES are a choice. It has to be WPA – TKIP as the ONLY choice.
Connects right away.

Sarcasticool

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes!

...I was having an issue on my galaxy s5. switch off my mobile data, turn on wifi. Had no wifi symbol display in the top bar of my screen, wifi was acknowledged as being on in my "Wireless Settings" and it showed my home network as 'saved and secured'. I tried and tried to connect, failing that I deleted the network and added it, re-entering my password. It would again, connect to the network, but drop moments later and still no symbol. I then landed on this feed and read about restoring to factory settings (not ideal because its a pain backing everything up!). Then watched a youtube video where someone changes your IP from 'DCHP' to a 'Static' IP which is easily done at the time of actually connecting to a network and entering the WEP key....tried and failed...but before I reset back to factory settings I simply took the battery out of my phone and switched off my router...waited about 5mins..switched the router back on, made sure it had a stable internet connection, then repowered my phone. Connected straight away and was back online. Now Im not saying that will work for everyone and I was F$#%ING shocked it worked for me...but maybe try the simple things first before restoring back to factory settings.

Hope this is a help to someone else lol. ;-)
Thanks so much, saved myself a factory reset, it totally worked for me! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FriscoPhantom

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm seeing solutions to maybe different problems here. I have a Samsung Note 4, and I'm having problems staying connected to any Wi-Fi connection, not just the one at home (my home Wi-Fi is the most stable). Many of the solutions here suggest changing the settings on the router, but when I'm at a public place, I don't have that option. I can connect to the public Wi-Fi but it goes back to using data within just a few seconds. It will also switch back and forth from data to Wi-Fi periodically. I've restarted my phone, forgot and reconnected the Wi-Fi, and the behavior is still the same. I've tried going through the settings that I've seen on androidcentral forums, but their buttons and menus they tell me to go to never look like mine, even though they say Note 4, and I have a Note 4, what their screen capture looks like and what my screen actually looks like are never the same.

Also, I admittedly don't understand everything everyone says here. The response by Ashley Demaree looked like it could have been helpful, but I didn't understand a word of what she said. This is my first smartphone and I've only had it since November. So any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463