Anyone come from BlackBerry 10?

mickeyboat

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I have used Blackberry's for over 20 years. I purchased a Note 3 (with no prior Android experience) and have not looked back. Blackberry finally got to me with crap hardware and software. The last straw was no software upgrade for the tablet. I have had the Note 3 since Oct, 8 months and love it. I have had to do a battery pull one time and that was my fault loading a bad app which sorta locked up the cell. I have not used my Blackberry tablet since the Note 3, as it has so many more features and can do everything better than the tablet. On my last three Blackberrys I had to do a battery pull system reset at least once per week. Android is a great operating system and it took me about 3 days using it off and on to become comfortable doing everything I did on my last Blackberry.. Android has so many features I have not used tho and I just purchased a book on it to learn more. My experience was so good, my wife ditched her BB also and is now using a Samsung Android phone.

QuickDime

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Like everyone else here it seems, grabbed a Note 3 left my Z10, haven't looked back. Google's Apps are just way too productive for me.

The Note 3 was the killer productive device that I think crushed the last of BB faithful at least in my area. Seems like a lot of folks here too also selected the Note 3.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I've used BB10 for the past year and tried my best to make it work. I'm finally tired of missing out on Apps I need for work. Made the leap and bought a Note 3 that should be here on Friday! Can't wait to see how it goes with it.

Night and day Jamie. Night and day. Let us know what you think!

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a long-time BlackBerry user and am now using the Note 3, mostly because of the handwriting capability. But some of these comments about BlackBerry are unfair. Comparing a Note 3 to a 9900? Seriously? The 9900 is like 3 years old now and was not designed to do what the Note 3 does better than even other Android devices. The Z10 is a beautiful, elegant phone and I miss some aspects of it a lot. Things like the Hub, the system-wide consistent notifications, and reliable, consistent, email,are not, in my opinion, matched by any other device. The OS10 browser has been shown to be faster (by far) than any other mobile browser. Comments made about side-loading are out-of-date. The current version of OS10 supports downloading and installing about 95% of Android apps directly OTA, and this includes banking apps that run fine on my Z10, Google Maps, and many others. Instagram now runs native and most popular apps can either be run as Android apps or have solid replacements.

All that said, I'm sticking with my Note 3 because it is the tool I need right now, and is probably the best and most powerful handheld device I've ever owned (and I've had a bunch). But that doesn't mean I don't miss aspects of my BlackBerry phones. So, to the OP and other BlackBerry users, come on over, the Note 3 may be just what your need. But don't credit the comments that it's all roses, there are trade-offs.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm a long-time BlackBerry user and am now using the Note 3, mostly because of the handwriting capability. But some of these comments about BlackBerry are unfair. Comparing a Note 3 to a 9900? Seriously? The 9900 is like 3 years old now and was not designed to do what the Note 3 does better than even other Android devices. The Z10 is a beautiful, elegant phone and I miss some aspects of it a lot. Things like the Hub, the system-wide consistent notifications, and reliable, consistent, email,are not, in my opinion, matched by any other device. The OS10 browser has been shown to be faster (by far) than any other mobile browser. Comments made about side-loading are out-of-date. The current version of OS10 supports downloading and installing about 95% of Android apps directly OTA, and this includes banking apps that run fine on my Z10, Google Maps, and many others. Instagram now runs native and most popular apps can either be run as Android apps or have solid replacements.

All that said, I'm sticking with my Note 3 because it is the tool I need right now, and is probably the best and most powerful handheld device I've ever owned (and I've had a bunch). But that doesn't mean I don't miss aspects of my BlackBerry phones. So, to the OP and other BlackBerry users, come on over, the Note 3 may be just what your need. But don't credit the comments that it's all roses, there are trade-offs.

Hey I'm not hating on BB. Shoot, I started out with one of the very first BBs in my hand. No one was more upset than me to see them go down like they did. I was totally prepared to get me a Q10 but right about that time, Chase bank said they would no longer support a BB app. There was no way to get around that. It isn't like there's another Chase BB app out there. They weren't alone either. Much as I loved my Berries, the writing was on the wall. The same thing with Windows Phone 8. I love the OS and the build of the Nokia Windows Phones but I kept running into to many times when either I couldn't get an app or the one I had just didn't have all the functionality of the Android/iOS versions. That said, if WP continues to improve, I could go back some time. Nokia Lumia's have incredible cameras on them. Oh and I love the live Tiles. Still, for right now, the Note 3 is an incredible phone and unless something changes drastically with WP8, there is nothing out there that will take me away from the Note 4 when that comes out. Fact is, NOTHING can do all the things the Note can do. That's just the cold hard facts.

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Z10 fantastic device - just not as fantastic as the competition.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy Note3, specs and screen size matter!

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Z10 fantastic device - just not as fantastic as the competition.

Haha I know what you mean. In had the Z10 and Q10, as nice as they are I just needed better apps. I didn't like the whole side loading thing. I've got a Note 3 on the way, hopefully be here Saturday. Woohoo

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Haha I know what you mean. In had the Z10 and Q10, as nice as they are I just needed better apps. I didn't like the whole side loading thing. I've got a Note 3 on the way, hopefully be here Saturday. Woohoo

You'll love it, it's amazing don't stick with Touchwiz I'd pay for Nova Launcher Prime or Apex Prime, the prime versions bring unread counts, they show your messages on icons (if you have free version you can just swipe down from notification bar). Then again you might like Touchwiz but it's sluggish and so unintuitive in my opinion. You can download themes for Apex or Nova like HTC skins and icon packs so customizable, it's such an amazing device. Also have a look through the settings there's a lot.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You'll love it, it's amazing don't stick with Touchwiz I'd pay for Nova Launcher Prime or Apex Prime, the prime versions bring unread counts, they show your messages on icons (if you have free version you can just swipe down from notification bar). Then again you might like Touchwiz but it's sluggish and so unintuitive in my opinion. You can download themes for Apex or Nova like HTC skins and icon packs so customizable, it's such an amazing device. Also have a look through the settings there's a lot.

You may have to explain this to me a little. What is touchwiz? I know the operating system is android but from there I'm lost. Lol

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Touchwiz is the name Samsung has given to it's user interface / menu system / overlay which would include a lot of Samsung model-specific software for their own special features, which some find over heavy and so disable many of the built in Touchwiz apps.
It also is used to describe the honescreen icon layout and apps in the bottom dock etc.

Many add a light launcher from a few major developers which changes the screen icon and layout appearance with an almost infinite number of icon, widget and homescreen background designs, while leaving the core menu system underneath.

HTC call their UI Sense. Many like the cleaner approach by Google / Nexus devices and lighter ui brands, which I learned is termed Vanilla Android.

I just wrote this as an exercise to see if I could describe it coherently.
I welcome any corrections !

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I came from OS10 as well after 15 years on nothing but BB, but the browser speed doesn't come close to Chrome on Android. E-mail is as consistent as BB was (we used Exchange and Active Sync and BES before that). I moved away in Oct 2013, so I can't comment about sideloading, but before I moved, it was a huge PITA and many (sideloaded) apps just didn't work...ones that I needed (and many still don't). There are still very few native apps written for any version of BB, and there was nothing unique about the Z10, that wasn't already old on Android. Yes, the HUB was, but wasn't anything spectacular when compared to Android. BB10 OS is a nice, fast OS, but it isn't enough to overcome the deficiencies of everything else, but that's my opinion.

djh_wolf

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just for the record, I wasn't comparing my 9900 to a note3, that'd be a little unfair really.

I was however comparing my 9900 to an ipod touch which I'd purchased several years before, which still managed to absolutely kick the crap out of my shiny new BB.

As for the Z10... Well, that was just a waste of time. Even a budget s3 mini absolutely destroys that POS handset. Why? Primarily the software. That's what killed BB.

/rip

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Wow got my Note 3 in the mail this morning, it's a big change coming from BB10. I'm loving the screen on this thing! Now if I can just figure out all the options. Lol

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Have fun! You're going to love it all before long. I am not one who likes change but this was the best change ever going from BB to Android!

Wow got my Note 3 in the mail this morning, it's a big change coming from BB10. I'm loving the screen on this thing! Now if I can just figure out all the options. Lol

JRChristenson

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If anyone's still wondering I got my Note about a week and a half ago. I still miss The Hub and the keyboard on my Z30 but I'm loving all of the apps. Still debating about launchers.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Touchwiz is the name Samsung has given to it's user interface / menu system / overlay which would include a lot of Samsung model-specific software for their own special features, which some find over heavy and so disable many of the built in Touchwiz apps.
It also is used to describe the honescreen icon layout and apps in the bottom dock etc.

Many add a light launcher from a few major developers which changes the screen icon and layout appearance with an almost infinite number of icon, widget and homescreen background designs, while leaving the core menu system underneath.

HTC call their UI Sense. Many like the cleaner approach by Google / Nexus devices and lighter ui brands, which I learned is termed Vanilla Android.

I just wrote this as an exercise to see if I could describe it coherently.
I welcome any corrections !

I think you did fairly well. I'm one of those who actually prefers Touchwiz or more to the point, I do NOT like plain vanilla Android as it is a little to plain for my tastes. I like some of those odd little apps and features that make up Touchwiz but I do see where they can at times cause performance issues. At least you can disable some of them and I think Samsung is getting better at not giving us a bunch of dumb do-nothing features. Just my opinion of course.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Better take a day off for that Jamie. There's a LOT of them. Don't you just love choices? :p Do yourself a favor and download and read the PDF manual. There's a LOT to this phone, even some things that aren't in the manual. Reading these boards will give you a good edu-mu-cation. ;)

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
For all of you new to Android, do yourselves a favor and learn Swype (for typing). Takes a little getting used to but once you do, you'll NEVER want to use anything else. I couldn't believe how much I missed that when I took a short vacation over to Windows Phone 8. I now can safely say I HATE hunt and peck typing. ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Options?
Power on. Call. Talk. Hang up. Leave. Charge.
Were you expecting more?

Congrats on the new phone.

I just like looking at mine, waiting for a call. Any call!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If anyone's still wondering I got my Note about a week and a half ago. I still miss The Hub and the keyboard on my Z30 but I'm loving all of the apps. Still debating about launchers.

Congratulations on your new phone.
Give Touchwiz home screens a chance until you are all set up!

Then take a month off and go through the Homepage Screenshots sticky / thread at the top of the forums page.
Better still, ask Ivan and Spencer and the rest to recommend launchers to start on.

Enjoy the phone.
No question is too silly to ask. Trust me, been there, still asking.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang