Anyone come from BlackBerry 10?

JRChristenson

May 12, 2014
Visit site
After many, many years I'm considering jumping the BlackBerry ship. The app gap is finally getting to me. Did anyone here come from BlackBerry 10? I'm on a Z30 now and I'm wondering what the transition might be like.

Thanks.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
After many, many years I'm considering jumping the BlackBerry ship. The app gap is finally getting to me. Did anyone here come from BlackBerry 10? I'm on a Z30 now and I'm wondering what the transition might be like.

Thanks.

I came from BlackBerry a few years ago and as much as I love my Note 3 I never have been 100% crazy about the Android OS. My biggest problem is Google. I consider myself to be a very private person and Google in its infinite wisdom is what I consider to be too invasive for my liking.

One quick example is I used to post reviews in the Google Play Store for the various apps I would download or buy. One day to my surprise they began requiring the use of Google+ to leave any reviews. I refuse to use a Google + account so I stopped writing reviews.

I finally broke down and began using the Google Calendar instead of syncing with Outlook (which I'm not crazy about either) because I had one sync problem after another for years and I got tired of fighting with it but again I do not put anything personal on in my Google Calendar.

I keep very basic email on my phone, in other words I have a separate email account for my phone that I do not put anything personal in. I have no doubt its not foolproof but I try to keep my personal information to a minimum on my phone.

I really prefer the BlackBerry OS but since that isn't an option anymore Android is just going to have to do because any and every Apple product is banned at my house.

My switch from Blackberry to Android was definitely a learning curve but if I can do it pretty much anyone should be able to. You will find many helpful people here in the forums.

Before I forget one last thing, if you do decide to make the switch get yourself a GMail address before you get your phone. I did not know that at the store I was at they automatically set up my phone with Gmail account but it was not the one I wanted and you have to have a Gmail account to use your phone. So I wound up with more email addresses than I wanted in my stumbling around trying to learn. It was pretty messy for me for awhile.

Deb from my Note 3

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I came from BB10, and was on BB since 99.

I couldn't deal with the crappy hardware and lack of apps I needed, or BlackBerry's sheer arrogance. No wonder they managed to drive that once on-top-of-the-world-company into the ground.

What they claimed would be the killer "end-all" OS (BB10), wasn't new to the Android world, just to the BB world. Their "revolutionary" BB10 OS keyboard doesn't hold a candle to SwiftKey. The BB10 UI is neat, but isn't compelling enough to stay on BB and here's the real clincher, BB10 doesn't use the old proprietary connection to Exchange (Legacy BES), it uses MS Active Sync, like Android and IOS. It's no better than Android in how it works with MS Exchange...and there are simply NO apps for BB.

I thought I'd never migrate off BB after being on it since day one, but once I got the Note 3, I quickly forgot about BB. I was able to make the switch without ever looking back. I can find any app I can think of, and they're usually free too. Apps that I absolutely needed were not available on BB10, but are plentiful on Android.

Moving from the Z10/Z30 to a Note 3 won't take much seat time...and the Note 3 is one of the best Android devices you can purchase anyway. Of course, Android over BBOS is a personal preference, but more and more users migrate each day. I have never looked back -

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am with FBA here. Do the switch!

I switched from a Q10 last summer to the Note 2 and don't regret it. I find myself much more productive with the Android OS.
You shouldn't have a hard time transitioning. TouchWiz is rather easy to navigate through. You can customize pretty much everything to your liking! You can put as many apps as you want into a folder! That was a big one for me. I hated having a couple folders on my Q10 of useless things I never used but couldn't get rid of.
App gap. If there is a app you wished you had on your BlackBerry, well, you can have it now! None of that side loading Android apps that BlackBerry 10 has been so gung ho about.
The list could go on and on. Give it a whirl and you will enjoy it!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from my Blackberry Z10 to the Samsung Galaxy Note3 and all I can say is that I find myself doing the "Happy Dance" frequently.....SMILE.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from my Blackberry Z10 to the Samsung Galaxy Note3 and all I can say is that I find myself doing the "Happy Dance" frequently.....SMILE.

LOL - That's what I heard. I think somebody put you on YouTube but I wouldn't watch it. - SMILE -

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a fair amount of users that switched after BB10. People probably held onto Blackberry for the hope that BB10 would deliver. Then after trying it for a while, they figured they would just switch...

Sent from my Tab 3 using Tapatalk Pro

djh_wolf

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been a die hard blackberry fan since the 9700 back in ...what..... 2009? Loved it. Loved the keyboard, loved the apps, loved the quality of hardware.

Had a 9900 after that, which, when I first got it, I was very impressed with. For about a month, where I quickly realised that it was a nifty little handset with a couple of extras, but for actual internet browsing and general facebooking etc it didn't hold a candle to my ipod touch. Thus began my habbit of carrying my trusty BB9900 around to use as a hotspot for my ipod, whilst having a cracking phone!

Roll on the announcement of the upcoming "android/apple-slaying" BB10. I was so ******* excited. Seriously man, nobody wanted the BB to succeed more than me. Always loved the underdog. Always loved the 'geekier' side of things.

I was an avid reader/contributor to the crackberry forums. I loved the speedy and personal responses from developers who wrote nifty little apps to run macros etc. But rather soon, it became painfully obvious that BB10 was never going to succeed. I had a few online battles :)D) with some of the BB-diehards over at crackberry who outright refused to believe that any other platform could outperform (or even match!) the awesome power of BB10.

Instagram? No. Google maps? No. Tom Tom ? No. Every popular/important app predictably received absol****inglutely zero interest in BB10. How did the diehards react? "Err.... we don't need instagram. We don't need xxxxxxxx". Bravo, ****tards, bravo. The public seemed to like to use these apps, and the general public decide on overall popularity.

Fast forward a few months and I finally get around to moving from my defunct bb9900 to a shiny new note 3. Oh sweet lord, what a difference. I'm so happy with this whole thing I could cry rivers.

Never, ever, ever, ever look back. What an utter pile of misguided dog****.

*loves android*

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well said wolf! Very good.

One thing I have always wondered is, what if BlackBerry made a handset that had Android OS. Say something that had a great size screen and a great Bold style keyboard. I think it would be a great phone.
The hardware that BlackBerry makes is great, it's the OS and app integration that needs improvement.
BlackBerry pushes the side loading to the point where they advertise apps that are side loaded to BlackBerry 10, they are already one step towards the right direction of Android OS!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been a die hard blackberry fan since the 9700 back in ...what..... 2009? Loved it. Loved the keyboard, loved the apps, loved the quality of hardware.

Had a 9900 after that, which, when I first got it, I was very impressed with. For about a month, where I quickly realised that it was a nifty little handset with a couple of extras, but for actual internet browsing and general facebooking etc it didn't hold a candle to my ipod touch. Thus began my habbit of carrying my trusty BB9900 around to use as a hotspot for my ipod, whilst having a cracking phone!

Roll on the announcement of the upcoming "android/apple-slaying" BB10. I was so ******* excited. Seriously man, nobody wanted the BB to succeed more than me. Always loved the underdog. Always loved the 'geekier' side of things.

I was an avid reader/contributor to the crackberry forums. I loved the speedy and personal responses from developers who wrote nifty little apps to run macros etc. But rather soon, it became painfully obvious that BB10 was never going to succeed. I had a few online battles :)D) with some of the BB-diehards over at crackberry who outright refused to believe that any other platform could outperform (or even match!) the awesome power of BB10.

Instagram? No. Google maps? No. Tom Tom ? No. Every popular/important app predictably received absol****inglutely zero interest in BB10. How did the diehards react? "Err.... we don't need instagram. We don't need xxxxxxxx". Bravo, ****tards, bravo. The public seemed to like to use these apps, and the general public decide on overall popularity.

Fast forward a few months and I finally get around to moving from my defunct bb9900 to a shiny new note 3. Oh sweet lord, what a difference. I'm so happy with this whole thing I could cry rivers.

*loves android*

ConGrats on your new Note3...WOW, talk about reading MY Blackberry story. I could have wrote your post word for word...LOL!!!

djh_wolf

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers lads, good to know my experience wasn't a solitary one.

I agree on the points made about the BB hardware - it would've been interesting to see how a BB running an android OS would've worked out.

Most amusing part of it all for me is how the diehards over at the BB forums seem to have wet pants over sideloading/running android apps on their BB10s. Here's a thought - buy an android. Very odd behaviour.

*shrug*

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Thanks.
I always liked Blackberry but the writing was one the wall when my bank (Chase) decided not to support a BB app any more. I can get around a lot of things but my bank app is not one of them. You either have it or you don't. It was a sad day. I also ran into a similar problem with Windows Phone. I really like the OS but I was running into to many instances where either the app wasn't available or the one that was there, was limited in functionality. Again, very upsetting but I will NOT, repeat NOT, give into the Apple iPhone world. They have everything (apps and accessories) but they do NOT have originality or wow-factor any more and they bore me silly. I'm not saying it doesn't do what it does well but it's at a point where they don't even do some of the most basic things that other smart phones can do such as true multi-tasking, split screens, NFC (very big deal these days), etc although in all fairness, I did hear that some or all of these might be available with the next iPhone. Still, I find Apple oddly behind the power curve on things now. I now think Samsung and perhaps even Nokia are leading the innovative way. :cool:

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

*loves android*
Well written, bravo!!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.

I came from the Q10 to the note 3 last October

Posted via Android Central App

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've used BB10 for the past year and tried my best to make it work. I'm finally tired of missing out on Apps I need for work. Made the leap and bought a Note 3 that should be here on Friday! Can't wait to see how it goes with it.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I didn't quite make it to BB10. I was a BB user back to the 9700 and LOVED the speed of writing! I too was on Crackberry, daily I might add! I upgraded to every new model and loved each one of them. I so looked forward to the BB10 until I first tried it in the store! I knew pretty much what to expect from following Crackberry for so long but I hated it! I even wrote on Crackberry about the experience and the Five reasons I wouldn't be buying one. I got blasted needless to say! I kept the 9900 for a long time, stewing over what to do when BB was not around. I agonized over losing my fast keyboard. How could all those touchscreen users say they didn't miss the keyboard? No way it would be as fast.

I got my Note 3 months after it was out, with the T-Mobile $200 credit for bringing in ANY working BB as a trade. I think it took me 1 week before I was used to it for the most part. Still didn't like the change but loved so many things about it. After a short time, I got pretty fast at the keyboard and with Swiftkey keyboard, it was even better. I LOVE the way you can customize the Android phones and I can honestly say, I do not miss a thing about my BB. Never thought I would be saying that.

One other thing I noticed about the Crackberry vs Android blogs is the amount of replies and comments to posts. Crackberry people are NUTS! There will be 100's of responses where Android might have 10. I LOVE that, not having to read through all the crap. Quite an amazing difference and a very nice, FRESH change.