point of launchers?

Gallion

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
what reason do you guys use launchers? I change my wallpaper every few weeks. but what do you get that is special with launchers?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I like launchers pretty much because it allows me to get more widgets on my screen. Without a launcher there's no flexibility and you're limited to x number widgets. Some of them come with really cool looking wallpapers and what not but since I use personal photos for my wallpaper those kinds of things don't impress me.

Deb from my Note 3

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
To name a few....ability to use custom icons and themes, resize icons, gesture controls that the stock phone launcher might not offer, change homescreen grid size, remove google search bar from homescreen, add additional homescreens, app drawer and dock configurations....basically lots of tweaks that your phone might not normally allow you to do. Grab a free version and try one out!

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
More widgets on the screen, more folders on the screen, more apps on the screen, change the look of folders, gestures to launch apps, better navigation between screens, better app drawer, more configurable.

sweeperdk

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I like the fast that I can make My Phone look like I want it. I have had the note 3 for two weeks and havent settled on a launcher yet, but am really enjoying the different options the launchers give me.

Posted via Android Central App

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the freedom of customising the gui with a launcher such as Nova Prime over the stock launcher. I began using launchers after becoming bored with HTC Sense on previous phones and haven't looked back.

A secondary benefit of using Nova over stock on the N3 is that I no longer have to suffer that stupid Samsung Magazine app that pops up every time the screen is swiped from the bottom (usually by accident!!!). The irony is, I quite like the Samsung stock launcher and would probably have used it more if it weren't for that magazine app. It's the only thing I don't like about the N3!

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Go Launcher EX prime with Go multiple wallpapers, lets me set up several home screens, each with its own wallpaper, 3D transitions between screens, more icons in app drawer, can set up folders easily, resize icons, change labels, and more.

A bit of pocket fuzz from my Note3

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Complete backup of my launcher configuration including app drawer /folders. (nova prime). Faster than TouchWiz too (in my view). Tradeoff is no Samsung calendar widget or clock /weather widget, both of which are really nice. Use beautiful widgets and you can come close on the clock. Bus calendar pro calendar widget is not terrible but not as nice as samsung's.. Still go to samsung's app to use the calendar for anything sustained (including writing on the month view with the spen).

I used both launchers fit a few days before committing to fully configuring nova prime, but then went ahead and haven't looked back.

RockoB8

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
For me it's just the new look and style. I like having more widgets too and the ability to mess around more freely. But yeah, I prefer to just change it up a bit every once in a while.

mikepas

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
For me it's the fact that with Action Launcher Pro I can set up my phone with the minimalist style I prefer with handy ways to access apps. I also enjoy having my apps listed alphabetically in a real list instead of a swipeable grid of icons. Oh, and the other stuff about custom icons, sizing of icons, number of icons, gestures to access features, etc. It makes the device feel more "mine" and less "Samsung's".

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Complete backup of my launcher configuration including app drawer /folders. (nova prime). Faster than TouchWiz too (in my view). Tradeoff is no Samsung calendar widget or clock /weather widget, both of which are really nice. Use beautiful widgets and you can come close on the clock. Bus calendar pro calendar widget is not terrible but not as nice as samsung's.. Still go to samsung's app to use the calendar for anything sustained (including writing on the month view with the spen).

I used both launchers fit a few days before committing to fully configuring nova prime, but then went ahead and haven't looked back.

I have Nova Prime and Next 3D Shell. What you describe is exactly why I use Next Launcher. It has the calendar, todo and other widgets I need for work and school. It's more expensive than Nova, but if you need the widgets it is worth it for day to day productivity. Right now it is the gold standard of launchers, it just comes with a gold price tag compared to the rest.

Rounick

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Sometyms u get bored using the same old launcher that ur fone came with. And that is the reason we use launchers to make our smartfones feel fresh, and considering there are so many different launchers available in the app stores, we tend to never get bored from our fone.. It also gives opportunities to app developers to show off their imaginative skills.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
$17, it should do more than launch.

Sent via my Note 8
It does do way more than launch. Especially for day to day productivity of a power user and business professional. As of today I have Nova Prime($4.00, updated Aug 17, 2013) and Next Launcher 3D Shell($16.99, updated May 14, 2014) as well as some of the other popular launchers for 2014. If money is tight and you can live without some of the features, widgets, not interested in a 3D User Interface then Nova will probably be good enough. I always have said Nova is one of the best bang for the buck launchers, but............

Next 3D Shell is the Cadillac of Launchers right now and as you can see it comes with a Cadillac price but as a power user it is worth the extra money because I depend on the Calendar, ToDo List and other PIM widgets so much.