Kitkat at McDonalds.... HELP!!!

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm out of state and stopped at McDonalds to use their Wi-Fi and my phone decided to download the KitKat OS!
Do I dare leave and lose the wi-fi connection and if so will it eat up my data. It's at 28% and I'm afraid to disturb it!
Any suggestions????

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a little over 500mb, not sure. So 350mb to go ish. Don't know if it will start from the beginning if interrupted.

Should have ordered a chocolate muffin or brownie. s all we can get here. Good luck.

** Maybe as much as 700mb though - anyone?
Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
When you're back online can you bring me a Quarter Pounder with Cheese but hold the cheese, small French fries and a hot coffee.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I make it 1.5 hours then from 0. Maybe a slow or intermittent connection ?
What Really doesn't help is if some complete eeddiott keeps sending you forum posts.

Some are holding off on Verizon. I would like to know later if it might have asked your permission initially but you missed it.

Lucky it's Saturday!

Last edited:

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Sang, a brownie. I want one. In Paradise we have spam, Portuguese sausage, rice, siamin... Need brownies.

My Note 8, fresh out of the box began life at a McDonald's.

Sent via my Note 8

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I make it 1.5 hours then from 0. Maybe a slow or intermittent connection ?
What Really doesn't help is if some complete eeddiott keeps sending you forum posts.

Some are holding off on Verizon. I would like to know later if it might have asked your permission initially but you missed it.

Lucky it's Saturday!

To Madd54,

My phone did NOT ask me if I wanted the update.
When it tried to update it failed after 2 hours!!
I am out of state right now and I have to rely on restaurants, etc. for Wi-Fi.
I tried again at Applebee's and it was successful.
The thing that kinda pisses me off is I wasn't offered a choice.
I sure hope I like KitKat!
(I generally hate cats!)

"Size does matter!"

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If your on Wifi, it WILL NOT use data on your plan to download.

Take a deep breath, order 4 double cheese burgers, large fries, 6 piece Mcnuggets (like I do), and play with your new OS!

You'll be OK! I promise!!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So you had to stay put for 2 hours or more. Another lady on AT&T had it pushed to her.
Shows though that Samsung or the carriers doing it that way can cause massive inconvenience or even incur costs, and possibly leave you not being contactable, I don't know, although you were posting at that time.
You must have had your plans scuppered for half a day by Verizon.

I did it via usb and kies, made sure the battery was full, and didn't touch it for I think an hour.

I really think the carrier should issue a warning that this can happen. Then you can choose to do it voluntarily. It's only been out a week, hasn't it.

Gained a few pounds?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine was not automatic. I had to do the "check for updates" and then it showed up and asked if I wanted to download it...

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So you had to stay put for 2 hours or more. Another lady on AT&T had it pushed to her.
Shows though that Samsung or the carriers doing it that way can cause massive inconvenience or even incur costs, and possibly leave you not being contactable, I don't know, although you were posting at that time.
You must have had your plans scuppered for half a day by Verizon.

I did it via usb and kies, made sure the battery was full, and didn't touch it for I think an hour.

I really think the carrier should issue a warning that this can happen. Then you can choose to do it voluntarily. It's only been out a week, hasn't it.

Gained a few pounds?

You're right, I was on my way to visit friends out of town when I was caught by the auto - download at McDonalds.
And then it failed!!!!
In the evening close to home
I stopped at Applebee's and nursed a couple beers while it downloaded and installed.
It was a major inconvenience!
It's up and running and so far so good!
Thanks!

"Size does matter!"

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Turn off Auto updates in Android, then turn them off as well for the Samsung apps, and all updates from the app store. I did that and finally - no more auto updates now!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You're right, I was on my way to visit friends out of town when I was caught by the auto - download at McDonalds.
And then it failed!!!!
I stopped at Applebee's and nursed a couple beers while it downloaded and installed.
Thanks!

"Size does matter!"

Let us know how you like the new update in a few days after it has settled.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
And then it failed!!!!
Thanks!

"Size does matter!"

So you were able to interrupt it til later. I should have read this first.
Hope it stays running well.

**ON EDIT : I missed the part where you said it FAILED after 2 hours. Too much sunlight!

Last edited:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend (on Verizon) who is still turning down the first big update to JB back in January. Every day for a few months, he has declined it. It was never forced on him. We'll see this week what happens with Kit Kat. He plans to decline that as well, at least initially.

Seems like a lot of hassle to have to decline everyday but to each his own.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Turn off Auto updates in Android, then turn them off as well for the Samsung apps, and all updates from the app store. I did that and finally - no more auto updates now!

Shazbad!
Yes it might be as simple as that in some cases.

Last edited: