Can anyone recommend a good, cheap car charger for Note 3?

HiMynameisMattyK

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it matters that I have the att version but I'm going to be driving 1000 miles across the country and will be using my phone as the GPS. I can't seem to find one that's good on amazon and I want to make sure I match the voltage so I don't mess the phone up. Att is selling one for $15 but I'm not sure if there is something even cheaper out there that would do the same job. Any help would be much appreciated!

Posted via Android Central App

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if it matters that I have the att version but I'm going to be driving 1000 miles across the country and will be using my phone as the GPS. I can't seem to find one that's good on amazon and I want to make sure I match the voltage so I don't mess the phone up. Att is selling one for $15 but I'm not sure if there is something even cheaper out there that would do the same job. Any help would be much appreciated!

Use this one every day in wok truck. Powers my Note3 and my Xyboard tablet flawlessly.

Amazon.com: Anker? 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air, mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8) and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Just to add I also use a USB3.0 to get full power to the Note. I would suggest you do also.

Here is the one I keep in the car:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3661511

HiMynameisMattyK

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Use this one every day in wok truck. Powers my Note3 and my Xyboard tablet flawlessly.

Amazon.com: Anker? 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air, mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8) and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Just to add I also use a USB3.0 to get full power to the Note. I would suggest you do also.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3661556

Can I use the cable that came with my phone to charge? I don't want to buy an extra cable if I don't need to. Thanks for the links!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I use the Samsung 1.0 A charger I used for my Galaxy S2. I bought 2 separately and they cost me even less than they are now. I think this is the best solution. You don't need 2.0 A in the car. It's fast enough and it does no harm to have a lower output. The mains charger rarely outputs a full 2A during a charge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CX...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3661603

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I use the Samsung 1.0 A charger I used for my Galaxy S2. I bought 2 separately and they cost me even less than they are now. I think this is the best solution. You don't need 2.0 A in the car. It's fast enough and it does no harm to have a lower output. The mains charger rarely outputs a full 2A during a charge.

Samsung OEM Car Charger for Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 and More (Bulk Packaging):Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

I can say this, With my 1.0A chargers I could not keep the screen on with GPS and have my Note3 charge. I would actually loose 5-10% an hour.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I can say this, With my 1.0A chargers I could not keep the screen on with GPS and have my Note3 charge. I would actually loose 5-10% an hour.
That hasn't been my experience, but I believe it can be the case. I can leave navigation on and it still charges fine. What I did notice when the Note 3 was brand new, was my S2 wall charger or this car charger hardly made any inroads on the charge and I almost gave up on them. (I didn't want to use the 2A N3 charger initially because I was thinking of selling it for a black one!)
Some chargers like for my Bluetooth headset only put out 0.7A and doesn't really work.
For the OP to be sure then still best to go for the higher option, but if you see one of these at a bargain, it's a worthwhile buy.

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site

I use the charger that Verizon provided. Cool red lights, a USB port and a really cool LED light at the plug end so you can see what you're doing at night. Works perfectly even with my wife's phone plugged in along with mine.

BTW AZwldcats, my nephew pitches for the Cats. #36 James Farris! Bear Down!!!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CX...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3661721

My experience is that my 2A charger won't even keep the phone charged anymore in the car. Seems to have changed in the last few weeks even before Kit Kat came out. I've resorted to using the original USB 3.0 charger plugged into an in car AC outlet. I might have to do a factory reset or something unless a solution surfaces. I tried cladding the cache but still having problems.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
My experience is that my 2A charger won't even keep the phone charged anymore in the car. Seems to have changed in the last few weeks even before Kit Kat came out. I've resorted to using the original USB 3.0 charger plugged into an in car AC outlet. I might have to do a factory reset or something unless a solution surfaces. I tried cladding the cache but still having problems.

That's a weird one, but I don't know enough. I do remember a poster saying to me that it's the phone that determines how much of the 2 amps is going in to the battery (from the wall charger), depending on the part of the charge cycle it's at, and the heat of the battery I think. I know the battery is at it's coolest (normal conditions) at around 50%, why its good to top it up then to count for a half cycle of battery life as it easier to charge when it's cool. I can't remember how to find that info. Maybe see if it charges better from 50%.
Also remember some twin socket car chargers output a low amp? to the second outlet.
Maybe someone can chip in.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CX...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3661767

I have tried the 1-amp chargers in the car; they don't always cut the mustard.

When I'm docked in the car, running Car Home Ultra with Google maps on full screen brightness, with Bluetooth, it will maintain the current charge. It can charge, but it takes a very long time. The 2.4 amp charger has no issues with any of this. I guess it's each to their own, but in the above scenario for me, it's a no go...

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'd be suspect of the actual output of your charger. The Note 3 will charge fast, even with screen on all the time at full brightness and mapping running. I'm running KitKat, and if you read my post above, you'll see what I am running on a 2.4 amp charger. (Pure Gear)

HiMynameisMattyK

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have my Google maps running with the phone on the whole time so I need a charger that will keep the phone at 100% while plugged in. This is my biggest concern.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess I currently only rarely use the navigation while plugged in, come to think of it. Most occasional journeys on roads I don't know are max 1 - 2 hours and I will leave it on battery. So when I am charging in the car, most times the phone is doing nothing, and 1A works fine. I also carry a spare S2 wall charger at 1A, it's super compact, and that also charges well enough in a coffee shop etc. My phone has an easy life.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd be suspect of the actual output of your charger. The Note 3 will charge fast, even with screen on all the time at full brightness and mapping running. I'm running KitKat, and if you read my post above, you'll see what I am running on a 2.4 amp charger. (Pure Gear)

It is the same charger and cable I've had for months. Usually with podcast and navigation get +700 mA on battery widget. In last 2 weeks everything same getting -190. Getting higher than usual Android System use. Others reporting
Similar issue too. May have to do a factory reset if don't find solution soon.

HiMynameisMattyK

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3661939

I just purchased this charger because of the great reviews. I'm definitely going to give it a test run for a few days on my commute to work to make sure the battery doesn't die while being plugged in. Thanks for everyone's input!

eddiebhoy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
tbh I have saw many chargers and theres even a usb charger with all attachments and all other chargers for Samsung salaxy products along with apple in poundland , or if your in the states the dollar store , youd be surprised I even got hdmi leads from the pound store and it was the gold plated tipped ones which are normally like 20 pounds and I got them ion pound land.