Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spencerdl
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By Kelly Kearns
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switch your Note 3 off

How many of you switch your note 3 off at night time yes I know theres the blocking mode

Ulimate Note 3

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

Default Re: Switch your Note 3 off

I don't turn off any of my phones or devices for that matter. They are pretty much on 24/7 unless they need to restart for an update or something.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ok kool

Ulimate Note 3

I don't. What is the point.

It is a known fact that electronics (any most other things) fail when they are powered up and down all the time.

Mine is on charge at night next to my bed. It only goes off if I need to restart it.

You can turn the Note3 off ???.....(only kidding). I NEVER turn any of my devices off unless it's for an update or battery pull ...SMILE
    anon8380037 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Belly View Post
    I don't. What is the point.

It is a known fact that electronics (any most other things) fail when they are powered up and down all the time.

Mine is on charge at night next to my bed. It only goes off if I need to restart it.
    It's a known fact? Really? That's news to me, guess I better research that one.

I've turned my electronic devices on and off many times without any fails. Not saying it doesn't happen but it'd be a very rare case indeed.

That being said I only restart if I run into issues or something and never leave it off, just restart is all that's necessary.

Posted via Android Central App

Off? Never. I'll reboot it before bed but I like my phone to be available at all times.. Incase someone has to reach me.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    anon8380037 likes this.

Interesting comments. I don't usually turn my phone off, unless on the rare times I need to charge it from 5% or 0 quickly, but it probably makes no difference.

However I used to always turn my XP desktop off (OK that's a given), I still turn my W7 laptop off all the time, unless I need it quickly in the morning then I put it to sleep.

When I had a good CRT tv up to 2012 (!) they were a must to turn off, even though they took a massive jolt of voltage when turned on.

If I had an LED TV I wouldn't worry either way.
    However I have a 2 year old plasma and I mostly turn it off, though I can leave it on a news channel all night occasionally and I am not worried about burn in.

To me, any thing with a hard drive.
    So I switch my 320gb twin channel PVR/Blue Ray player off as well; it's set to record/rewind live tv anyway.
    Spencerdl likes this.

I leave mine on all night.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Leave mine on constantly but I reboot often mainly because I deal with xposed mods often that require reboots after changes etc.

Never turned off. Rebooted by me 3 times and spontaneously one.

Via my Note 3

Reboot daily. Seems to help with performance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Ditto. Used to use Airplane Mode but that meant family emergency calls could not get through. Switched to a sound profile app which fixed this issue.

Deb from my Note 3

O0 now that you mention it ever since I got my note 3i haven't turned it off since I use it for alarms and then charge it for 2 hoyrs b4 I take off in the morning :3

Posted from my note 3 :3
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    It's a known fact? Really? That's news to me, guess I better research that one.

I've turned my electronic devices on and off many times without any fails. Not saying it doesn't happen but it'd be a very rare case indeed.

That being said I only restart if I run into issues or something and never leave it off, just restart is all that's necessary.

It is actually. Electronics fail far more often from powering on and off than simply leaving them on, just like light bulbs. Computers are a perfect example, not only for hardware failure, but software as well, under those conditions.

I think what the poster was trying to say, is that your devices are more prone to failure by turning them on and off as opposed to leaving them on...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    Take 1000 Note 3 phones.

500 are left on 24/7 500 are switched off at night. Statistically the failure rate will be higher on the 500 that are turned off at night.

I wasn't saying "never turn it off as it will explode"

The light bulb as FBA mentions is a prime example. The stresses of going from cold to hot and cold again weaken the filament until one day, the stress of turning it on is too much and it pops. If it was left on it wouldn't be stressed and would last (in the case of a light bulb) several times longer. Same principal with other devices.

Physical switches, especially small ones like these, can also fail through contact wear.

FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Take 1000 Note 3 phones.

500 are left on 24/7 500 are switched off at night. Statistically the failure rate will be higher on the 500 that are turned off at night.

I wasn't saying "never turn it off as it will explode"

The light bulb as FBA mentions is a prime example. The stresses of going from cold to hot and cold again weaken the filament until one day, the stress of turning it on is too much and it pops. If it was left on it wouldn't be stressed and would last (in the case of a light bulb) several times longer. Same principal with other devices.
    Fact!

I haven't turned off a cell phone in years, not since you used to have to actually discharge the battery and sit the phone on a charger, not plug it in.

I don't understand turning it off. The screen goes black, you can turn off volume and vibration. I don't have a home phone and if someone calls me in the middle of the night, then they need to get in touch with me. I have had this same phone number for about 15 years, so I don't often have wrong numbers marketing people. I put my phone on the do not call list years ago and the rare times I have a marketing call, if they call twice, I put there number on the rejection list and it doesn't ring, turn my phone on or anything if they call, it goes straight to VM and they never leave a VM.
    Spencerdl likes this.