Gallery - People is spooky!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So I hadn't gone to the Gallery drop down menu since probably day one.
As well as Locations (maps geo tagged photos), I tried People.
It selected faces from Evverrywhere!
Including you Sarks, I guess from Tapatalk.
Mostly from crowded scenes, some non people close ups. So it must be doing this in the background.

How, when, and why?

NSA? Martians? Google? Yeh Google. Are they analysing these?

buga5y2y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com
/d/14/05/21/4ada7yme.jpg
unequve8.jpg

ramuve4a.jpg

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
So I hadn't gone to the Gallery drop down menu since probably day one.
As well as Locations (maps geo tagged photos), I tried People.
It selected faces from Evverrywhere!
Including you Sarks, I guess from Tapatalk.
Mostly from crowded scenes, some non people close ups. So it must be doing this in the background.

How, when, and why?

NSA? Martians? Google? Yeh Google. Are they analysing these?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/buga5y2y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com /d/14/05/21/4ada7yme.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/unequve8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/ramuve4a.jpg

Quit stalking me Madd! ;-)

Haha. I have found that the app Whatsapp has created a new folder within my gallery of all the pics people share with me.

I don't know what causes it but I quite like having everything in seperate folders - makes it easier for me to find them.

But, I don't know why in your case it's picking up random people in backgrounds. Weird.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's what I mean. It created its own folders and named them. I have 1200 + photos, some dragged from a period with my GS2.
Unless I took a screenshot of an AC or Tapatalk page where you posted Sarks, I got the first impression it was seeking photos from anywhere, or covertly takung its own.
Kinda like that tv series Person of Interest.
I'm sitting down to a movie in the cinema so will look more later.

It's creating it's own zoomed photos from larger ones or from elsewhere, and filing them!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's just basic photo face recognition. The people option in the gallery exists in case you want to tag people in your photos to keep separate albums for them. You can enable the tagging in the Gallery settings - Tag Buddy and Face Tag. If you don't enable that then it just keeps everything unnamed.

The information in the gallery won't exist anywhere but on your phone unless you choose to sync People in your google account. If you use tags in one of google's other products, like Google + or Picassa, and you use tags in the Gallery, then if you have these things synced on your phone, it will sync the tags. But if you are not tagging and not syncing then no one sees any of this but you and it is not sent anywhere outside of your phone.

Here's a link from google on how pattern recognition works: How Google uses pattern recognition ? Privacy & Terms ? Google

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I know it was facial recogition, but I didn't think it could be used beyond capturing a portrait.

I wasn't taking it too seriously, but still.

These were not people I chose to photograph. I was not aware of them and they were in the periphery of shots.
I must be one of few that de-selects People and Picasa in Google Sync, and has disabled Google +, so Google was close to getting these unsolicited images of unsuspecting and non-consenting people from my phone.
I thought in theory people had the right to consentto their images being used, for publication at least.

I had not consented (and we use myself as an example - it applies to every Google phone user) to my phone being used to gather and store facial images from larger shots at event and other locations. Google might argue it's embedded in their T&C's.

All very benign and harmless possibly, but I didn't know I had them. Google did.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I always disable, opt-out or don't opt-in to anything like this and don't sync anything but my email, contacts, and calendar, and I wish there was an option to not even have the function performed on the phone, But there's nothing illegal about it at all. Nobody has to consent to their picture being taken for it to be legal and public pictures can be used by anyone. The person who takes the picture, not the subject of the picture, can claim copyright of it and not allow it to be re-published by someone else without their permission but it can still be used for information purposes and for things like internet search results for example as long as it is available publicly online.

If someone does choose to tag people in various services and sync their accounts, it is only synced within that person's account unless that person has chosen to show tags publicly or to notify people of being tagged. Most services also have the option of choosing to not allow yourself to be tagged within that service.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I'm like you with syncing and opting out.

This is still not right though.

As Sarks also said, it's one thing for social Media apps to file shared photographs, but another to save these unknown people, and some from web images, on the wild off chance I might recognise someone? I also didn't chose to tag anyone.

I'll get over it. Like a lot of Google stuff we have to suck it up.

It's a subject for another forum perhaps, unless it's exclusive to this phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc