Is this a Samsung thing, a Note thing, an Android thing, an AT&T thing, or nothing?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
Just to mention, with my Note 3, I have never had this problem; for the record, I am on att and have great lte coverage. Daily, I use data and voice simultaneously and never a dropped connection. Also, no one has ever told me that they called and it not being in the logs. Going on 8 months usage.

Sounds like a location problem with no easy resolution.

I agree - I think its going to be a location deal. I'm going to try Kelly's suggestion about getting a micro cell. I hope that works!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree - I think its going to be a location deal. I'm going to try Kelly's suggestion about getting a micro cell. I hope that works!

Hopefully, it works. I've heard others say their microcell really makes a difference. Good luck.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I think you may be exactly right. The coverage map shows the best coverage, but here's a screen shot of my signal.

I wouldn't necessarily believe it. T-Mobile shows coverage in my town as pretty much complete and full. I am here to tell you, however, that coverage was absolutely like swiss cheese in my town which is relatively close to a large city. The largest intersection in the town (approx 70,000 pop) has NO signal at all. That's just crazy given that they claim full coverage. Needless to say, I dumped them. I always liked their customer srvice but after years of complaining to them about it and seeing no improvement, I decided I was not going to keep paying for sub-par service. Now if i was living somewhere else where it was good, I'd absolutley stick with them. Right now though, AT&T works great everywhere I go

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
Yup, looks like the same problem I have. The map here shows great coverage also. Go ask one of the store managers for a free microcell, tell them you have no coverage since you bought an LTE phone, show them the screenshot.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3

Called my local AT&T store. Figured I'd call them before I dragged four kids over to the store. They told me they couldn't give me one, I'd have to pay $200. He suggested I call 611, because they could send me one for free or give me a discount, but as far as the store goes, if I want one from them, I have to pay. So I call 611 and just spent an hour on the phone with them (with the call getting dropped twice). He told me "good news! A new tower is being built in my area and should be finished within the next two weeks! It will improve my signal dramatically!"

As far as my current signal situation, he said "611 doesn't send out micro cells. They can only give them at the AT&T store." But he was more than happy to fill out an incident report with details - and I'll hear from AT&T within five business days about a resolution to my problem. Until then, I'll have to deal with signal issues or pay $200 for the micro cell.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey GadgetMamma I use SignalCheck pro
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.blueline.signalcheck&token=w4sqnKYL
I first used it when i was on Sprint a few years ago and now that im with T-Mobile it still comes in handy.
In fact i have mine set to chime and vibrate when the phone looses LTE and goes back to GSM/HSDPA+ . So far i have found 1 spot in Dallas (between where i work and live) that is a non LTE Spot.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily believe it. T-Mobile shows coverage in my town as pretty much complete and full. I am here to tell you, however, that coverage was absolutely like swiss cheese in my town which is relatively close to a large city. The largest intersection in the town (approx 70,000 pop) has NO signal at all. That's just crazy given that they claim full coverage. Needless to say, I dumped them. I always liked their customer srvice but after years of complaining to them about it and seeing no improvement, I decided I was not going to keep paying for sub-par service. Now if i was living somewhere else where it was good, I'd absolutley stick with them. Right now though, AT&T works great everywhere I go

Coverage maps should be taken with a grain of salt. Especially maps on carrier sites. I worked in the 2-way LMR field for many years and i can tell you one thing. Those look good on paper but are not very practical in real life. All it takes is for one building to be erected and you have created an RF shadow.
The crowd sourcing apps, sensorly, root metrics and open signal are great ways to check real coverage for where your located.
Remember that towers are meant to be used line of sight. If you get any type of trees in the way, buidlings, hills what ever that will reduce or block signal. Urban environments play hell on wireless networks and coverage. This is why we have a choice when it comes to networks, unfortunately not all provide the coverage we want for the price we want.
Add to that manufacturers who might have issues with handset antennas or a tower that is not working at 100% and it spells trouble for a user.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
They can give you credit at customer care and you pay for a microcell, but the manager has to or call and ask for the phone number of the district manager and call them, tell them you problem. I have the district manager's cell number here and had no problem getting it.

Personally, I would drive over to another store. They CAN and do give them out free, all the time. If the new tower fixes your issue, you have a microcell if you are out of town, for an AT&T friend or to sell on Craigslist.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
They can give you credit at customer care and you pay for a microcell, but the manager has to or call and ask for the phone number of the district manager and call them, tell them you problem. I have the district manager's cell number here and had no problem getting it.

Personally, I would drive over to another store. They CAN and do give them out free, all the time. If the new tower fixes your issue, you have a microcell if you are out of town, for an AT&T friend or to sell on Craigslist.

Don't you just love it when you get several different responses to the same issue (a new one every time you call). I had that problem recently with Direct TV to the extent that I was VERY close to terminating them and incurring an ETF. I refuse to be held hostage by bad service. I simply feel that these companies can do more to help people with extreme issues like this but usually what I hear is "we can't guarantee service in a building". If it's outside, they say they'll check on it but you never hear anything back again or worse, you'll get the ol' "it seemed to be working just fine when we checked it" excuse. Technology can be your best friend or your worst nightmare I think.

huphup

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I have very same problems with my note 3 and have to go back to my iphone5 I want to try another samsung phone but no one will tell me that it is just a note 3 thing so I won't chance it so I have a just replaced under warranty note 3 for sale.

Last edited by a moderator: