Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Madd54
  • 1 Post By music_man185
  • 3 Post By jpr
  • 1 Post By anon24860
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I Root My Note 3 If I Like Touchwiz?

i know a lot of people hate touchwiz. my note 3 is my first samsung android device, and so far, i actually like touchwiz. I had a droid x and a droid razr maxx before my note, and both of those felt very plain and had little features or options. I got bored with them very fast. I also have a nexus 7 tablet with stock android and feel the same way. I like all the features and options samsung crams into their phones. even if i dont use half of them, and some of them are gimmicky, i enjoy having them.

having said that, i've never flashed any roms before. I rooted my razr maxx, but that was as far as i got. but my understanding is roms are meant to resemble stock android. i dont want to lose the features my note 3 has. i've recently considered rooting my note 3, mainly for slightly better performance (battery, speed, etc.), install apps like ad blocker and any app in multi window, and to have some of the new s5 features like download booster, ultra power saving mode and some new camera modes. i dont know if that is even possible, but that is what i would like. my note 3 is with verizon, and we were very late to join the Kitkat party. now that it is here, i'm experiencing terrible battery life and weaker signal strength (so is my girlfriend on her s4), and i'm afraid a fix will take just as long as it took to get kitkat in the first place. so basically i'm wondering if i root my note 3, if i can keep it the way it is but maybe pick up a few s5 features.

Default Re: Should I Root My Note 3 If I Like Touchwiz?

You will only mostly get replies from people who like to root their phones. People who will never root won't respond.
    I don't / won't root. DON'T DO IT!

OK. If you can afford the aggravation and possible bricking of your phone, and want to constantly experiment, well it might be for you.

I am putting my 5 cents in first because I dislike people advising rooting to noobies and others who have a temporary problem, or a KitKat adjustment issue, that can be cured or will rectify itself without such drastic action.

Most people have had a good experience with the Verizon update. I am not on your carrier. KitKat went fine for me after some adjustments.

Maybe try for advice first. That's all I got. Good luck!
    Exaggerating since 756 BC
    Thanked by:
    Spencerdl and oscari like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ok, i just found out that the s5 has a private mode. add that to the list of things i want on my note 3!! i have been saying for years that i want this option and that someone should incorporate it into a phone!
    Madd54 likes this.

I like the new S5 Touchwiz too. I don't think you can replicate it fully until / if Samsung lets us have it.
    There was mention of an S5 rom in my thread below, from Duncan1982.
    Why no S5 menu and icons with KK.

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly, I always advise anyone who has to ask the question in the first place that they should not be doing it. Asking the question means you don't know enough to be doing it. There are people on these and other forums that answer every question or problem someone has by telling them to root. That is irresponsible. The average user is better off not rooting.

Rooting is actually very easy. That makes people think that somehow that means as long as someone is capable of performing this easy task that they are then capable of handling the responsibility of it and making informed decisions. Well, that's simply not true. Besides bricking your phone or causing yourself all kinds of headaches breaking and fixing various components, you are also by the very nature of rooting making your phone open to security attacks. If you don't know in detail everything you need to be doing in order to protect yourself on a rooted phone, you should not even be thinking of doing it. Even with all security steps taken on your part, your phone will always be more vulnerable to attacks rooted so you have to be willing to accept that.

Then there is voiding your warranty. I personally only root phones after my warranty is up because I pay full price for my phones up front and only buy them new from authorized resellers, so I'm spending a lot of money on them (after tax my Tmobile Note 3 was well over $800, not including any accessories) and I don't want to void my warranty. If you got your phone free or cheap or money is no object to you then you don't have to take that into consideration.

There is also on this phone the matter of tripping Knox. This can come back to haunt you in at least two ways, besides the warranty issue. If you ever want to use it on a work network in the future you will not be able to unless your workplace has lax security measures and simply doesn't care about network and information security issues. Also, if you want to sell it it will lower the value of it.

Now I'm a network and software engineer and I'm not against rooting. I love to mod my computers and home network and various electronic devices. I do the same with my phones after the warranty period. If I had a cheap phone or was given one for free or bought one from a source that didn't include a warranty then I would be rooting right away. But I know what I'm doing and I know how to fix things.

If you don't understand all that rooting entails, not just the positive but the negatives, then you should not even consider rooting. You need to understand how rooting really works. It's not just "install this app and push this button and you're rooted" like a lot of people here and elsewhere advertise. People who do that get themselves in trouble. Even if you were going to use one of those easy root methods, you need to understand how to do it without the easy method and what is really happening in the background.

You also need to understand all the consequences and accept full responsibility for them. Most people do not want to do this. They break their phone in various ways or get in to trouble at work or get their phone hacked and then blame google or their carrier or manufacturer or their workplace or the person who made the app they installed or the people on forums who told them, "Hey, just do this - it's easy and the answer to all your problems."

So, rooting can be great in the right hands and can be fun and very useful. But it is not intended for most people. Like I said in the beginning, anyone who needs to ask someone else if they should root their phone should definitely not be doing it.
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Honestly, I always advise anyone who has to ask the question in the first place that they should not be doing it. Asking the question means you don't know enough to be doing it. There are people on these and other forums that answer every question or problem someone has by telling them to root. That is irresponsible. The average user is better off not rooting.
    ----------
    So, rooting can be great in the right hands and can be fun and very useful. But it is not intended for most people. Like I said in the beginning, anyone who needs to ask someone else if they should root their phone should definitely not be doing it.
    Excellent post!
    A future reference point. Mods?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

So much information, so little reading/understanding, so much aggravation.

Truth abbreviated.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

You can root and still keep TouchWiz. You don't have to add or remove anything unless you want to.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

thanks for the replies. i'm fully aware of the consequences of rooting. when i rooted my razr maxx, i spent countless hours reading and researching. i ended up rooting, but was afraid to flash roms because i was on a local carrier and couldn't find the right sbf file. my biggest question is, if i root, can i keep my note 3 the way it is now, but only gain a few of the s5 features i want?

Plus there are Touchwiz-based ROMs. However, not sure about KitKat though. It's probably a little early for Verizon phones.

I've been enjoying the Beans ROM, but that's Jelly Bean based. There are some interesting options that open up with that ROM. There's PIE for example (Google to check that out).

It's a little late for you, but rooting has helped me avoid having to update to KitKat. I like the idea that I can go back to stock and update when *I* choose.

But others are correct, rooting isn't for everyone. However, bricking of a phone is almost impossible these days. Plus, rooting doesn't mean that you have to run a custom ROM. But it can come in handy for using certain root-only apps.

If you don't know a lot about rooting, it's good to do a lot of research first before considering it. You've done that already but you can also look for various specific features that you are looking for (sorry but I don't have any answers about S5 features). You might find that there aren't enough advantages to make it worthwhile. But you might find that you will like the additional control that it gives you as well as getting rid of some things that you don't need or use.

Posted via Android Central App
    Madd54 likes this.

Global Posts
    616 Global Posts

You can root and keep your note3 as is.

I believe there is a ROM on xda that has a lot of the s5 features baked in, but you may want to wait on that...

As an alternative, look for Xposed Modules that may do a lot of what you want without flashing a new ROM. A lot less risky.

Good advise throughout this thread. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmanjr View Post

Truth abbreviated.
    Well said jeepman, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmanjr View Post

Truth abbreviated.
    No - a day later I still don't get that.

Personally I freely admit I don't know rooting. I missed that the OP has rooted before.
    Teleburst, who I knew had Beans, made good later observations.
    I just wanted to offset the expected barrage of 'Root Root Root'!

I'll stick with JPR on this. My new "buddy bud bud" (B B Theory)

OK, maybe I get you. Do you root?

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks TheMacs. That sounds good. Do you know the name of the rom? I'll also look into xposed modules. I've seen them mentioned before, but wasn't sure what it was