Note 3 battery issues

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I see people reporting 6 hours of screen on time for their note 3 with heavy usage. But i find myself in a much different position with my sm n900. If i dont enable the power saving mode, i feel lucky to reach 4 hrs 30 mins of screen time. Screenshots were taken with power saving mode enabled. Brightness is half (auto). I use wifi at home, and 3g when I'm out. The wifi and 3g usage per day is almost equal. The phone is unrooted and stock running kitkat with touchwiz, no useless apps. I have a few games, email and mostly social networking apps (facebook, twitter, ig, bbm, whatsapp, snapchat, tinder, bitstrips).
What am i doing wrong? And please, i don't wanna reset my phone. Is there any other solution? Thanking you all in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-01-23-26-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-01-23-26-28.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2014-06-01-23-26-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-01-23-26-38.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 81

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Nothing the other people use low brightness power saving mode and are probably either lying or insane if they say they get more than six hours also what font is that and another note most users with good battery life are on 4.3 like me

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The system is very inaccurate as far as screen-on time reporting goes. 6 hours of screen-on time isn't really attainable for the most part, unless you run at 5% screen brightness.

If you really want to be sure how accurate the reporting is, test the screen-on time manually, and compare against the system. GSAM has the same inaccuracies, probably because it reports from the Android system, same as the native battery app. I did some testing and found it to be way off...

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Nothing the other people use low brightness power saving mode and are probably either lying or insane if they say they get more than six hours also what font is that and another note most users with good battery life are on 4.3 like me

I'm using samsung sans font, size set to tiny. Looks professional.
So i believe my battery life is normal. Is there a way to downgrade to jb? Note 2 was a beast when it came to battery life.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The system is very inaccurate as far as screen-on time reporting goes. 6 hours of screen-on time isn't really attainable for the most part, unless you run at 5% screen brightness.

If you really want to be sure how accurate the reporting is, test the screen-on time manually, and compare against the system. GSAM has the same inaccuracies, probably because it reports from the Android system, same as the native battery app. I did some testing and found it to be way off...

It's sad how android central users lie about their screen on time. We are here to help people, not to confuse them.
I've installed gsam and I'll post a screen shot after a full day's use, for you guys to see.

zero bim

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's sad how android central users lie about their screen on time. We are here to help people, not to confuse them.
I've installed gsam and I'll post a screen shot after a full day's use, for you guys to see.

I think you are not right to accuse others of lying. We just based on the values given by the system stat and posted the results here for others benefits.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I think you are not right to accuse others of lying. We just based on the values given by the system stat and posted the results here for others benefits.

But how are people reporting 8 hours of screen time with heavy usage? That's not even possible.

zero bim

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
But how are people reporting 8 hours of screen time with heavy usage? That's not even possible.

Why is it not possible? I consistently get 7+ hours of screen time over a 24 hours period using lte. I can get 6+ hours over 48 hrs.

I have quite a lot of widgets too. The only thing I have off are google now and location reporting and history set to off (but location service is still on using wireless only). Also I have "scan ...using wifi" in wifi advanced setting to off.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Why is it not possible? I consistently get 7+ hours of screen time over a 24 hours period using lte. I can get 6+ hours over 48 hrs.

I have quite a lot of widgets too. The only thing I have off are google now and location reporting and history set to off (but location service is still on using wireless only). Also I have "scan ...using wifi" in wifi advanced setting to off.

I apologize for being offensive. I Did everything you mentioned. Let's see how it goes. Thanks.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

I definitely see some improvement after disabling the features that you mentioned. Getting to 1 hr screen time within the first 10% was a big deal for me prior to posting this thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-02-14-32-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-14-32-04.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 51

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Firstly, I don't think it's right that you accuse the people here of lying. There may be a small portion of people here who will lie about their battery life etc but the large majority of people on here are honest and helpful. You yourself should know this from the postings you have created in the few weeks that you have been a member.

Secondly, it is possible to have good battery life and screen on time. I'm posting a screen shot of my battery life from gsam which has monitored my battery life for the last 6 wks or so. It shows my average battery life is 20 hrs 9 mins with 7 hrs 10 mins of screen on time.

Also including screenshots of my battery life right now. I'm close to what the original poster has in terms of battery and screen on times yet I still have over 40% of my battery life left.

Original poster - if I were you I would also monitor what is running in the background which may be keeping your phone awake (such as the social media apps you have running) and draining the battery.

As for my screen brightness etc - my brightness is set to about 20-25% when inside and when I am outside (san diego - lots of sun) I put it up to about 55-65%.

I don't use the power saver mode - tried it and didn't like it, plus I get good battery life so I really didn't need it.

I don't use facebook, etc but I do have Whatsapp and I have 8 email accounts all set to push. I have gps/location, wifi, data on all the time, as well as nfc, air view, sync, and sbeam.

I find the screen on time on gsam vs settings>>battery>>screen to be pretty much the same ...usually just a few minutes of difference.

I'm sure others will give you more advice on things to try so you can improve your battery/screen time.

Sarks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-16-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-16-00.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-15-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-15-42.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-15-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-15-35.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-15-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-04-15-30.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 47

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
At all of you who think they're getting screen on time of 6+ hours. Your data is inaccurate and all you do is propagate bad data that by posting those screen shots.

Test it manually and MANUALLY document the screen-on time. You will be amazed at how wrong those numbers actually are.

Install an app that will keep your screen on all the time and watch how fast the battery dies.

The phone doesn't run 24 hours with 6 hours of screen on time...and if you bother to test, you'll see that for yourself.

Some simple math using the data in the screenshots above proves that.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, I don't think it's right that you accuse the people here of lying. There may be a small portion of people here who will lie about their battery life etc but the large majority of people on here are honest and helpful. You yourself should know this from the postings you have created in the few weeks that you have been a member.

Secondly, it is possible to have good battery life and screen on time. I'm posting a screen shot of my battery life from gsam which has monitored my battery life for the last 6 wks or so. It shows my average battery life is 20 hrs 9 mins with 7 hrs 10 mins of screen on time.

Also including screenshots of my battery life right now. I'm close to what the original poster has in terms of battery and screen on times yet I still have over 40% of my battery life left.

Original poster - if I were you I would also monitor what is running in the background which may be keeping your phone awake (such as the social media apps you have running) and draining the battery.

As for my screen brightness etc - my brightness is set to about 20-25% when inside and when I am outside (san diego - lots of sun) I put it up to about 55-65%.

I don't use the power saver mode - tried it and didn't like it, plus I get good battery life so I really didn't need it.

I don't use facebook, etc but I do have Whatsapp and I have 8 email accounts all set to push. I have gps/location, wifi, data on all the time, as well as nfc, air view, sync, and sbeam.

I find the screen on time on gsam vs settings>>battery>>screen to be pretty much the same ...usually just a few minutes of difference.

I'm sure others will give you more advice on things to try so you can improve your battery/screen time.

Sarks.

Were these stats captured after a full charge or a top up? And i am sorry for my baseless accusation.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
At all of you who think they're getting screen on time of 6+ hours. Your data is inaccurate and all you do is propagate bad data that by posting those screen shots.

Test it manually and MANUALLY document the screen-on time. You will be amazed at how wrong those numbers actually are.

Install an app that will keep your screen on all the time and watch how fast the battery dies.

The phone doesn't run 24 hours with 6 hours of screen on time...and if you bother to test, you'll see that for yourself.

So do you mean some phones that have this bug show 6+ hours of screen time, and uninfected phones show the correct time i.e 4-5 hours.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

I have tested it manually as I wanted to compare the battery life versus the manual tests I did when I had my iPhone 4S before the note 3. I've also documented my iPad and my husband's note 8, not that they're relevant in this discussion.

I keep an Excell spreadsheet I have kept timing once a week since Sept. when my husband and I got our Note 3s. I also want continue this when im on kitkat to see if there is a major/minor difference.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Were these stats captured after a full charge or a top up? And i am sorry for my baseless accusation.

This was from a full charge. If it had been topped up you would see it on the screen shot with the bar graph - at the bottom where it says charging there would be a green line if someone had topped up.

Hopefully that makes sense - it's 5 am here.

Sarks.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have tested it manually as I wanted to compare the battery life versus the manual tests I did when I had my iPhone 4S before the note 3. I've also documented my iPad and my husband's note 8, not that they're relevant in this discussion.

I keep an Excell spreadsheet I have kept timing once a week since Sept. when my husband and I got our Note 3s. I also want continue this when im on kitkat to see if there is a major/minor difference.

There you said it, the only difference is the os. Before kitkat, i was easily getting 6 hrs, but now it is impossible. My advice, don't upgrade to kitkat. And good night, or morning?

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There you said it, the only difference is the os. Before kitkat, i was easily getting 6 hrs, but now it is impossible. My advice, don't upgrade to kitkat. And good night, or morning?

My husband upgraded to kitkat and he hasn't noticed much difference - but he seems to be one of the lucky ones, many on here (like yourself I guess) have had big changes mostly for the worst.

I'm going to avoid it for as long as I can - but I'm sure one morning I'll wake up and it will be installed for me :-\

I know you don't want to reset but I've seen (on here) plenty of people benefiting from it after updating it to kitkat. I just think it's crap that they don't give us a choice to keep JB.

Good luck!

Sarks.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
@ Sarkycow -

Please help me understand, and since you have all the data in Excel, plus manual testing, you should have the answer!

Your screenshot indicates the phone having been on for 9 hours 43 minutes and 59 seconds since last full charge.

You are at 53% used on this battery

You show 37% screen usage, which equates to about 3.59 hours of screen-on, yet you show 5 hours 6 minutes and 30 seconds of screen-on.

Can you explain that so I understand?

You have tested manually, where you leave the screen on idling for the whole time until the battery dies? How long did the charge last?

When I turn the screen on, and do nothing - in other words, I don't touch the phone at all...actual screen on time works out to less than half of what is reported by Android or GSAM.

ehsan_3

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I did as zero bim said, and the results have been good so far. But then, i didn't leave home today so i was connected to wifi the whole time. I've noticed that 3g kills the battery.
I had to restart the phone, that might have effected the stats in gsam.
This is with power saving mode enabled and apex launcher.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-21.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-26.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-45.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-19-56-52.jpg