Incredibly slow charging on Samsung Galaxy Note 3...

Imogen Parkinson

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if anyone could help... :-\ I got my note 3 yesterday and it was already switched on in the box which was weird. Anyway, I was using it fine, transferring contacts and my album arts on my music, downloading apps. Went to put it on charge through the wall charger which was a usb Sony Ericsson plug? I also tried it with my usb Dell plug that came with my Dell Streak 5 and it wouldn't charge, then it charged with a Galaxy Ace 2 charger and then the phone switched off and wouldn't come back on. When it was charging, it said it was charging, but remained on only 1% for about 3 hours. It is not a new phone it is second hand, but I know it has no damage. I tried to charge it with the 3.0 usb cable it came with and plugged it into my laptop which worked and the red light came back on and I switched the phone back on. Over the next 11 hours from about 7pm last night until just gone 8am this morning, it was only on 80%. I contacted the seller and he said that he had always had that problem since he bought it from the store and there was no problem found when he tried to return it. He is sending me a new battery and charger free of charge because he said that he'd gotten so sick of it taking so long through the wall charger or his laptop that he bought new batteries and threw them away afterwards because it was less hassle! I can't afford to do that though!! I spoke to an O2 guru today and he said it was very strange and he had never heard of that happening with a note 3 before but I should bring it into an O2 store but I live really far away from any O2 stores... Any help or advice greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Same thing the O2 'guru' said. This is not a 'known' issue with the Note 3 or with any phone. First red light: The charger it came with is a Sony Ericsson. Second red light: It doesn't charge.

But first things first. The Note 3 is nearly a tablet, and as such, it has a very large battery. Check your USB wall charger; for the Note 3 to charge properly, it should be ABOVE 1.5 Amps (current output). Anything below that, and your Note will charge S L O W L Y. Why does it take so long to charge through a computer USB port? If it's USB 2.0 and it's not a 'Powered Port', chances are the current output is only 500mA. That's enough for a regular phone, but not to quickly charge the Note 3. Actually, most tablets won't even charge at all if plugged into one of these ports.

If you're using a 2Amp charger, like the one supplied originally with the Note 3, it should take around 4 hours to fully charge, maybe even less. If it doesn't, it's either a faulty battery that's not retaining charge or there's something wrong with the phone's innards, either the charging circuitry or the USB port itself. From past experiences with many Samsung phones, this port tends to be flimsy and often something inside gets loose.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
That is very odd. Using the stock charger my note 3 goes from 0 to 100% in about 3 hours

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You should have been given the white Samsung charging plug which has a usb output only, for the usb 3.0 cable also supplied.
It outputs 2.0 amps and is really fast. My old Samsung charger outputs 0.7 amps and it works after a fashion if the phone is not being used but is slow.
Your's sounds really slow. Some have had a faulty cable so a replacement cured this, but you don't use it all the time.
Its the phone that determines how much amp power to allow in so to speak at different stages of the charge, and is fastest (2A) when the battery is cooler. The battery is usually coolest at around 50%.
Try installing GSam battery monitor, and it will show you in the battery image, how hot it is and how fast it is charging.
My little bits of knowledge, some can advise better. It may be a phone issue even with the proper charger, but it would be unusual.

ON *DOUBLE* EDIT: Snap! Beaten to the post by the others above. It will usually take me 1.5 - 2 hours max to charge from 0-15% to full. I take it they checked the battery, but if it's running hot it may be the problem.
If you are in the UK on O2 a Samsung Battery is ?10 and an Anker battery ?13 on Amazon.

amesugy7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a charger or cable problem. Use battery monitor widget to see charging rate. With the stock 2a charger, it should show close to 2000ma. Graph for example only, yours should show higher

uhy8ysyj.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited: