Samsung Note 3 - A FRAGILE device that needs more than average care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy38

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday my Note 3 stopped working. No external signs or screen damage. My Note 3 is always in my bag with the laptop. I travel so there is general movement of the bag and usual pressure between objects in the bag.

Took it to the Verizon Corporate store at 3 different locations in Central Jersey. Same response. Hairline crack deep inside the screen. The crack is visible only on tilting the device at a certain degree. No external signs of damage. Option suggested by Verizon is to buy a new device at Retail price. I paid $299 plus 7% NJ taxes and have just completed 7 months of contract. Other than the battery life, I was very excited with the product. But, I am surprised the device is so fragile.

The carrier (Verizon) disowns the device saying crack is warranty void. Even though there are no external scratches or damage anywhere on the device. It is tough to prove you have not dropped the device. In the same breath, it is difficult to prove that you have dropped the device. The Verizon staff directed me to go to a mom-n-shop store before asking me to contact Samsung. What’s going on? My first time with Verizon and the careless attitude is so evident. The customer seems to be the last one having any stake here. I did my research. The mom-n-pop stores ask for anywhere between $250 to $300 for LCD replacement, most of them with just 30 days warranty and uncertified technicians.

As a customer how am I protected? Other than paying for an expensive insurance that costs $120 per year, do I really have any options? Do I have peace of mind after buying this equipment?
Just read up on the internet that Samsung is offering Premium Warranty on Note 3 in South Africa. That warranty covers drops and spills etc. What did we do wrong in the US? Why does Samsung not worry about the US customer?

The bottom line is that buying a Samsung Note 3 is a HUGE risk. You have to carry it with more care than your laptop and other devices. This product is fragile and more than average care is required in addition to insurance etc. Any issue with the screen qualifies as “physical damage” and then you are on your own.
Given the attitudes of the carrier and the incomplete warranty by the manufacturer, the cost of owning a Samsung Note 3 is possibly the HIGHEST. Loss of mental peace and productive time is over and above all this.

I will be posting the pictures soon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday my Note 3 stopped working. No external signs or screen damage. My Note 3 is always in my bag with the laptop. I travel so there is general movement of the bag and usual pressure between objects in the bag.

Took it to the Verizon Corporate store at 3 different locations in Central Jersey. Same response. Hairline crack deep inside the screen. The crack is visible only on tilting the device at a certain degree. No external signs of damage. Option suggested by Verizon is to buy a new device at Retail price. I paid $299 plus 7% NJ taxes and have just completed 7 months of contract. Other than the battery life, I was very excited with the product. But, I am surprised the device is so fragile.

The carrier (Verizon) disowns the device saying crack is warranty void. Even though there are no external scratches or damage anywhere on the device. It is tough to prove you have not dropped the device. In the same breath, it is difficult to prove that you have dropped the device. The Verizon staff directed me to go to a mom-n-shop store before asking me to contact Samsung. What?s going on? My first time with Verizon and the careless attitude is so evident. The customer seems to be the last one having any stake here. I did my research. The mom-n-pop stores ask for anywhere between $250 to $300 for LCD replacement, most of them with just 30 days warranty and uncertified technicians.

As a customer how am I protected? Other than paying for an expensive insurance that costs $120 per year, do I really have any options? Do I have peace of mind after buying this equipment?
Just read up on the internet that Samsung is offering Premium Warranty on Note 3 in South Africa. That warranty covers drops and spills etc. What did we do wrong in the US? Why does Samsung not worry about the US customer?

The bottom line is that buying a Samsung Note 3 is a HUGE risk. You have to carry it with more care than your laptop and other devices. This product is fragile and more than average care is required in addition to insurance etc. Any issue with the screen qualifies as ?physical damage? and then you are on your own.
Given the attitudes of the carrier and the incomplete warranty by the manufacturer, the cost of owning a Samsung Note 3 is possibly the HIGHEST. Loss of mental peace and productive time is over and above all this.

I will be posting the pictures soon.

You may of had a dud.. Or you had way more pressure on it than you though.. Or laid the bag down hard and something inside there pushed in the right spot.. Your one experience doesn't mean they are all as fragile. I mean I'm sorry this happened and I'd be just as mad but I run mine naked.. And I've dropped it 3-4 times.. Tiny scuffs on the bezel but nothing horrid... And no cracks. Phone works flawless. The drops were all on hard surfaces (concrete/tile) and it's fine. So to say with Samsung you have to be super careful or it'll break easily goes by each individual.... Also any other smartphone would be the same.. You'd need insurance, warranty replacement, or buy a new one. HTC is the only one that I know of that will replace one screen if you crack it during a certain time frame.

We should all be careful with these phones. They don't make them to take beatings.. The ones that do are advertised for that (such as the "Active" line for the Galaxy series). How to protect yourself other than insurance? A case.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hummm, I disagree. I treat my Verizon Note3 just like all of my electronic devices (with care). I have no problems. It is not a Basketball, Football, Baseball, ect., ect.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have heard of a few people with similar experiences. Unfortunately, these are hard to prove.

With regards to insurance, it is $5 per month for insurance only

There is already a thread on this topic (you posted in it before starting this thread. Please continue discussion in that thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3694479

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz