Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Our house got broken into :-(

Amongst some random stuff that got stolen the main items taken were my husband's note 3, his note 8 tablet, my laptop, Garmin GPS and my digital camera.

My husband is totally bummed as we were only out of the house 45 - 60 minutes a few miles away buying groceries and so he thought he would just leave the phone in his office to charge a little.

Thankfully they didn't find some irreplaceable items from my grandmother and his mother. But, he's still sad about his note 3 & 8 tablet being taken.

Hopefully we will be able to find the (insert expletives here) who stole from us. Not a great start to shabbat/the weekend!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Our house got broken into :-(

So sorry, my mother's Blackberry Z10 also got stolen, really wish all these thieves would stop. Worst thing is that u can't even track it when its off
    Thanked by:

Might consider installing/enabling a tracking app.

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger#IM View Post
    Might consider installing/enabling a tracking app.

Sent via my Note 8
    True but that's not going to help with the stolen items, only what they replace them with.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Tried so many but none work when the phone is off. Do u perhaps have any suggestion to one that might work?

So sorry to hear that.
    Bet you have been mad as hell, and a little traumatised.
    Going to be hard to put any replacement devices back. I hope insurance helps a little.
    Sounds like an opportunist who grabbed what could be seen.

I hope you can get back to normal soon.
    It's very unlikely to happen again.

Makes me think maybe cloud storage is not so bad after all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    True but that's not going to help with the stolen items, only what they replace them with.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    As long as there is an internet connection, you can install remotely from the Play Store. You'd want to do this with one of the apps that are set up with default settings that make them enabled upon install. Also, Android Device Manager is already in the settings on the Note 3, if she/her husband has it enabled.
    Thanked by:

That's terrible so sorry to hear that

Hope they get them and you get your stuff back.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2
    Thanked by:

Sorry to hear that! Try the Android Device Manager to lock and wipe data if you enabled it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size Does Matter!"
    Thanked by:

That's horrible, sorry to hear that

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:

That really sucks, but might've been worse had you guys been there.

Try this, you might just get lucky! You can install it after you're phone gets taken.
    Thanked by:

That sucks . I am sorry this happened... I hate thieves.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    dllrogers55 likes this.

Sorry to here. I hope thing work out.
    Thanked by:

Gutted for you pet, would hope they find them and give him/her what for
    Last edited by davidnc; 06-08-2014 at 07:13 AM. Reason: cleanup lang.
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 likes this.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it resolved.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    That really sucks, but might've been worse had you guys been there.

Try this, you might just get lucky! You can install it after you're phone gets taken.
    From the Google Play site: (Note: Plan B only works with 2.0 - 2.3 versions of Android). FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmanjr View Post
    From the Google Play site: (Note: Plan B only works with 2.0 - 2.3 versions of Android). FYI.
    AndroidLost app should work. But she didn't say they didn't have an app installed already anyway. And Android Device Manager is built-in - as long as they didn't disable it. Unfortunately, a smart thief will take the steps to make all these apps useless. There are a lot of thieves who are not very smart, however, and I certainly hope they do get caught.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    AndroidLost app should work. But she didn't say they didn't have an app installed already anyway. And Android Device Manager is built-in - as long as they didn't disable it. Unfortunately, a smart thief will take the steps to make all these apps useless. There are a lot of thieves who are not very smart, however, and I certainly hope they do get caught.
    Just installed this on my GN3 and my wife's GS5. So far so good...I like it. She liked it too, until I told her I could see where she was shopping!! LOL!

Sorry...I didn't mean to make light of your loss. I hope you recover your belongings posthaste.
    Thanked by:

Sorry to hear that. Karma will catch up with these kids sooner or later. I know it bites now, but at least you are OK. Your husband's phone and tablet are replaceable, unlike yourself or those family memorabilia.

Side note: I have a large dog and I've been told that he is a burglar-deterrent. People in my neighborhood have had break-ins and all of them didn't have dogs. Of course, who wants to wrestle with Cujo to steal a smartphone? Maybe you could rescue a sweet and lovable dog from the local pound or rescue.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Karma will catch up with these kids sooner or later. I know it bites now, but at least you are OK. Your husband's phone and tablet are replaceable, unlike yourself or those family memorabilia.

Side note: I have a large dog and I've been told that he is a burglar-deterrent. People in my neighborhood have had break-ins and all of them didn't have dogs. Of course, who wants to wrestle with Cujo to steal a smartphone? Maybe you could rescue a sweet and lovable dog from the local pound or rescue.
    What kind of dog is he?

That's horrible. The good thing is that you are okay. I hope those idiots get what's coming to them!
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post

My husband has those apps/settings so that if his devices are turned on the data will be wiped and location noted etc. He has worked with computers, engineering, and developing for the department of defense for 30 plus years so he knows his way around all that (unlike his wife! Haha).

Yes, we are lucky that things that matter much more to us were not stolen as well as no one harmed. I just felt bad for my husband because he waited so long for the note 3 (talked about it FOREVER!) and then some little effwit just takes it.

As for the dog ...we have two cats whom we rescued already - who think WE live in their house! Haha. I grew up with german shepherds so I know what its like having a dog to guard the house.

Right now it wouldn't be fair to get a dog since we're not home a lot - we're in the middle of having our house rebuilt (burned down in a fire) plus running 2 businesses and dealing with my chronic pain. After we move in and things slow down though both my husband and I would love to rescue some dogs and some more cats too (if the cats allow us to bring pets into their new house, ha).

Thank you all for all the kind wishes and sympathy/empathy. We have home and phone insurance so my husband's replacement note should be arriving Mon. morning.

Thanks again all :-)

Sarks.

Glad to hear you have insurance and are able to get his Note 3 and other items replaced! As for the dog thing i have a 4 lbs Yorkie and people are terrified of him!
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild72 View Post
    Glad to hear you have insurance and are able to get his Note 3 and other items replaced! As for the dog thing i have a 4 lbs Yorkie and people are terrified of him!
    People are afraid of our girl cat Betty - she likes to hunt people and has absolutely NO fear of anyone or anything haha ...my husband's assistant won't come inside unless she has something to keep her away. Had she been home (they were with us - their vet is next to the grocery store - getting annual shots) I'm sure some pieces of the thieving Bs would have been left in our home!

Yes we are thankful for insurance.

Thanked by:
    Baby_Doc and Madd54 like this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    So sorry to hear that.
    Bet you have been mad as hell, and a little traumatised.
    Going to be hard to put any replacement devices back. I hope insurance helps a little.
    Sounds like an opportunist who grabbed what could be seen.

I hope you can get back to normal soon.
    It's very unlikely to happen again.

Makes me think maybe cloud storage is not so bad after all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I use Dropbox as well as Asus Web storage (I have 100gb free for 5 yrs - it was included when we bought my laptop (stolen) and my desktop PC - that was still in boxes in our garage that they (thankfully) didn't see).

I really like Dropbox. It works perfectly for what I need it to do, uses very little battery, and backs up my stuff without me having to do anything. I set it up a few weeks ago on my husband's phone - he's not so bothered as his stuff (his LIFE as he will put it) is all on his PC ...the one electronic item in his office they left. But, at least now he has a back up of all the photos he has taken of our cats, haha.

Sarks.

Thanked by 2:
    Madd54 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast