Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone got wet, need advice on my best bet from here.

Long story short my phone got splashed when I was at the river, I forgot it was in my pocket and a big wave came and yadda yadda yadda. I put it in rice for three days straight, took it out, worked totally fine for the next two days. Yesterday, the screen started tweaking out, turning a bunch of different colors, and eventually only a few lines of pixels are actually turning on. I left it in rice for around 36 hours and it's still doing the same thing. I'd like to know what my best bet is from this point, should I pay $200 to replace the screen? What will happen to the resale value since the water damage indicator triggered, even if the phone is in perfect working condition? I swap phones pretty often, and if the resale value tanks I'm gonna have to dish out a big chunk of cash to buy a new phone outright, contract doesn't expire for 18 months. Could I just sell the phone as is for a decent price or no? Anyone who's had this experience, I'd greatly appreciate any advice. It's pretty much damage control at this point.

Default Re: Phone got wet, need advice on my best bet from here.

Well you could try high percentage alcohol - not the kind you drink. You can find directions with a Google search.

Yes your resale value plummets but people will still buy for parts and other reasons. You should be totally up front about the damage of course.
    anon8380037 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'll try the alcohol, but it's been 3 days since the phone got wet, and it's been completely dry for about a day and a half, do you think the alcohol will still have an effect?

Fixed my water damaged Note 3! I got pushed in the pool and thought it was dead... Details Inside

^ This is a good thread. I read from revivaphone it can take 5 days longer than the internals for the screen to clear/dry up.
    Isopropyl Alcohol at 99% is best, according to this OP's research, but is only available commercially at a lower purity.
    Anyway you have done the basics.
    This OP sold his phone on ebay or craigslist for about $250 with a defunct screen. He did a follow up thread and got a deal on a Nexus 5 as well. He made the small error of putting it back in Is Alcohol again when the screen had not dried out fully. It might have been saved, we'll never know.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts

Great thread Madd54.

Pretty sure a local supply house will have 99% isopropyl alcohol, at about $20/gallon. You'll use a couple ounces, the rest will evaporate before you get to use it again. If they won't let you buy it, you should be able to find a friend whose has a business that can buy it for you. It's also available online the same way.

91% solution is available in drugstores that anyone can buy. Prices much more reasonable.

I'd add to do your drying in as warm a place as you can (sunlit window maybe, just not direct sunlight). Heat helps, speeds up the evaporation.

Good luck.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Great thread Madd54.

Pretty sure a local supply house will have 99% isopropyl alcohol, at about $20/gallon. You'll use a couple ounces, the rest will evaporate before you get to use it again. If they won't let you buy it, you should be able to find a friend whose has a business that can buy it for you. It's also available online the same way.

91% solution is available in drugstores that anyone can buy. Prices much more reasonable.

I'd add to do your drying in as warm a place as you can (sunlit window maybe, just not direct sunlight). Heat helps, speeds up the evaporation.

Good luck.
    That's very useful info as well, thanks.

I see now I linked that OP's follow up thread rather than the original, but it was a fun thread. He later posted in the Nexus 5 forum as well and was happy with his choice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.