Can't Open Images on SD Card?

agcereniv

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Good afternoon.

Recently, my Note 3 from Verizon (stock) with a high end 64gb micro sd card (Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card) on which I store my photos and videos has been acting oddly. I can't pull up the images on the Gallery, and, they have been increasingly not showing up as thumbnails, either.

I tethered my phone to my computer today (Windows 7 x64), and I can see the thumbs for most of the images, but I tried opening a couple and it could not. Gave me the message: Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted or is too large. I tried using other bundled software, to no avail.

EDIT: I did go back to 5/16 and it could open photos in Windows from that date and prior. I've since pulled those off the phone in case it is an issue of corruption so that I don't lose those.

Has anyone else experienced this? There may be a sticky that I just didn't catch. Any help would be appreciated - and, we just came back from vacation and I have a lot of great photos that I hope aren't lost forever. Again, they show as thumbnails in Explorer when tethered, but not in the phone and larger images after 5/16 can't be seen in either way.'

Thank you!

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
are they on external sd? use a file explorer and copy the files to phone storage and see if they transfer and come up in gallery...after kit kat my photos got moved to different files ...kinda random... try using the file explorer and search pictures on internal and external sd and keep opening files that pop up to see if they are in there...I found most of my stuff, I hope you can find yours.
After kit kat some files can not be read from external sd so they have to be copied or moved to internal storage.
If this is not the case you may have a card that's gone bad...I can be of no help there but someone else may chime in.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That 'damaged, corrupted or too large' warning is worrying, so they may not have saved to sd properly. I don't want to waste your time, but I would: a) try FS Viewer on PC. It displays panorama and surround shots that Windows Photo Viewer doesn't, though you say you tried other software.
b) I assume you looked in the DCIM folder in both SD Storage and device storage from the PC. If you have the space, maybe copy all the files you need from the card to a new PC Folder, format and unmount the card in the phone, physically remove it - and try installing it again to see if it will hold new photos. I would disable any Google + and other back ups at that time and make sure the camera is set to save to SD.
Baby steps for you possibly, but covering the bases. Aren't there some recovery programs that may recover photos on a PC.

agcereniv

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
@lterry913 yes, they are on an external SD card. I'll try these steps you outlined.
@Madd54 ditto.

Thanks, all. I'll let you know how it goes.

agcereniv

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm still working on this, but with some more research, it is looking like it has something to do with KitKat. It was installed/updated on the date that the photo issue is occurring. And, based on what I'm reading on KK, part of that coding was to alter how the phone structured its data r/w.
Still working on this based on the suggestions from @Iterry913 and @Madd54, but wanted to let you know this update in case it alters what you all would recommend.
Thanks!

dankawzinski

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to be the one to tell you this but if you google the problem you will find galaxy (in my case a note 3 with a 64gb sandisk card) is a problem a lot of people are having. There seems to be a problem with the cards, one post said it was a google update which caused it, I don't know. All I know is I have spent most of today, 8+ hours now trying to recover the data (40gb) that I had installed. This is not cool.

On monday I am going to try to talk to google and see what the heck is up with android 4.4.4 Phone and card have been stellar for over a year, and just died out of the clear blue yesterday... Good luck, next time I will copy entire SD card on a monthly basis to the PC for a backup so when this happens again I will only lose the photos of recent events. :(