Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dc52ltr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging time on my new Note3?

Greetings from Northern Ireland.

I just bought my first android phone, an unlocked Note 3.

Coming from a windows phone, previous to that a symbian (dear god).

Updated to kitkat this morning.

Right, with that out of the way: I am charging the phone via my laptop, it's taking 5+ hours to get to 100%.
    This is only my second charge with the phone.

I've not used the wall charger yet because mine came from Europe and thus has a non compatible plug.

Is (over) 5 hours a normal charge time via laptop? The laptop is plugged into the wall by the way.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Charging time on my new Note3?

Ok thanks, I suppose it must be an issue with my laptop!

I'm using the usb 3 port on my laptop though so there shouldn't be any problem. Also using the official lead that came with the charger.

If you are charging by usb 2.0 you will only be getting 450-500 mAh and charging will be slow. If you are using the phone at all while it is charging, or even if the screen is simply on, this will take a very long time. If you are charging by usb 3.0, it will be roughly twice as fast (900mAh) - or if you have a computer that supports it can be up to 1.5A with the right type of usb 3.0 port as long as you are not transferring data simultaneously.

If you cannot use the wall charger that came with it and you want faster charging than the usb port, you can buy your own micro-usb wall charger (or use one you already have) that charges at 2.0 or 2.1Amps. You do not need the usb 3.0 cable for wall charging - you can use a standard micro-usb.

I see you posted while I was writing, so in addition I will say that since you are using a 3.0 port, you may need to initially trigger the higher charging rate by setting the usb connection to 3.0 through the notification in the pull down. If you see it only charging at 450-500, do that and you should see 900 after that. That will still only be half as fast as a 2A wall charger. Keep the screen off as much as possible for faster charging.

(edited by Moderator)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

lol.

I did stumble on the usb 3 setting on the note but it reverted back to default after 10 mins anyway.

I think it must be a laptop issue, no big deal as I'm looking at getting a UK charger anyway.

I think I'll go for a multi charger for several devices downstairs (my note, girlfriend's windows phone & nook hd), then a normal charger for the bedroom.

I would have liked the wireless charger for the bedside but the official one has a big case cover, and the internal option loses NFC (which I may use for printing). Also it's damn expensive!

The USB 3.0 option will revert back to 2.0 if no data is being transfered, but in my experience the charging will still continue at 3.0 speeds after that. It just needs triggered initially on mine at least. It may not be that way for everyone. The computer I connect it to is 4 years old and has the initial usb 3.0 ports that were every produced in a consumer laptop - they are not native ports.

Default My tablet keeps turning off I NEED SOME HELP

So my tablet keeps on turning off when i unlock it I can really turn it on when I plugged it in the charger after recharging it to 100% i will pluged it out it keeps on happening it will turn off after charging it.

I already tried the factory reset thing and also the sd card but still happens.

I dont know the solution for this I need your help. Is it the battery or something? NEED SOME help
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve hewitt1 View Post

Right, with that out of the way: I am charging the phone via my laptop, it's taking 5+ hours to get to 100%.

I've not used the wall charger yet because mine came from Europe and thus has a non compatible plug.

Is (over) 5 hours a normal charge time via laptop? The laptop is plugged into the wall by the way.
    Well, let me tell you one thing charging via the use of USB port do takes time, while if you charge the same using wall charger then it's going to charge much more faster. It is because the USB port over laptop only provides 2.0V other than standard wall chargers gives 12-14V of DC supply. I guess now I am able to make you understand what makes the wall charging much more faster than the USB.

Quote Originally Posted by gn4review View Post
    No, 5+ hours is not normal especially with the new USB 3.0 charging. It's actually the fastest charging I've because ever seen. The only suggestion I have is to use the wall charger because it's almost always faster and make sure you're using the 3.0 charger. (inappropriate outside linkage removed)

Posted via Android Central App
    So long as it is rated at 2a,it should not make much of a difference in charging speed between a USB 3 and usb 2 cable

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve hewitt1 View Post

Can't you find an adapter that will allow you to use the wall charger? Or maybe order one online. FYI, I've never cared much for USB charging and pretty much never use it.

If you have a 2 pin charger ,the easiest way to make it compatible would be to use a 3 pin (UK) shaver adapter...pretty cheap too,I think they cost around 2 or so...HTH David
    Madd54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dc52ltr View Post
    If you have a 2 pin charger ,the easiest way to make it compatible would be to use a 3 pin (UK) shaver adapter...pretty cheap too,I think they cost around �2 or so...HTH David
    I was thinking that too, but wouldn't a French charger where they have 110 - 120 V supply not work over here. I forget how that works again and it's late.

I found something wierd with my note 3 yeatserday,my battery went down to 1% and left it to charge. Normally it takes 2 hours to fully charge but it took nearly 7 hours to charge to 100%. It was connected to the mains and not charge via anything else and used with the proper charger i got with the phone. Anyone else had this?

I`ve just checked the chargers I have for my phones and they are all 110-220 volts so maybe the OP could check this 1st?
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

From 20% to 100% 2 hours...

Posted via Android Central App