Receiving update notification for Dropbox - non-google play store

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I'm wondering if this is legit or if it's the result of dropbox being hacked - for the past few days, am being notified by the dropbox app that there is an updated version available. When I clicked on it, I received a pop-up telling me that I need to enable the setting that allows installing apps from third party sources. Ofcourse I cancelled and did not update. But since then I have received the same notification every day.

Anyone else notice the same? If so, is this legit? Should I be concerned that my dropbox account was compromised?

Thanks in advance!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
IF it were me. I would remove the dropbox app from my phone. Then download it from the play store and see what happens.

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
IF it were me. I would remove the dropbox app from my phone. Then download it from the play store and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply. Do you use the Dropbox app? If so, have you been prompted to upgrade by the app itself? I went ahead and changed my password as well as added 2 step authentication but am just curious.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I do use dropbox and the app. No i have not been notified for any updates.
I use a HTC One M8 primary and Note 3 as back up. Neither of the devices have prompted me from the app its self for an update.
The only notification i have received is for storage ending from a samsung and htc promotion.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeh. Dropbox is the only cloud service I like. That sounds fishy to me. When I read this earlier I checked my app and the Play Store page.
I think if you were downloading an app from Samsung, Amazon or the net you would need to allow 3rd party apps. But Dropbox came with my phone (+50gb) and is updated via the play store (though I don't remember one).

I would get an experienced members or moderators view on this.

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I do use dropbox and the app. No i have not been notified for any updates.
I use a HTC One M8 primary and Note 3 as back up. Neither of the devices have prompted me from the app its self for an update.
The only notification i have received is for storage ending from a samsung and htc promotion.
very strange..especially since I can't find any mention of an app update anywhere online.

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeh. Dropbox is the only cloud service I like. That sounds fishy to me. When I read this earlier I checked my app and the Play Store page.
I think if you were downloading an app from Samsung, Amazon or the net you would need to allow 3rd party apps. But Dropbox came with my phone (+50gb) and is updated via the play store (though I don't remember one).

I would get an experienced members or moderators view on this.
I don't download apps from any other source other than the play store so never enabled that setting. What's puzzling is that it's a very legit looking notification from the app itself.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't download apps from any other source other than the play store so never enabled that setting. What's puzzling is that it's a very legit looking notification from the app itself.

If it's still there or comes back, maybe post a shot of it.
Is there anything under notifications in the app, and did you request early releases. That's all I can see.

pu3a2ena.jpg

ygynydym.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
No, nothing under notifications; didn't request early releases either.

It's definitely from the app-I also setup a passcode & now when I click on that notification, it takes me to the app & prompts me for the passcode.

zy3a8u8u.jpg

juza9ape.jpg

Will contact customer support & see what they say.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
No, nothing under notifications; didn't request early releases either.

It's definitely from the app-I also setup a passcode & now when I click on that notification, it takes me to the app & prompts me for the passcode.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/15/zy3a8u8u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/15/juza9ape.jpg

Will contact customer support & see what they say.

I see what you got now. Looks legit then, and you've covered yourself. Maybe other Verizon people are getting it.
I actually think that's how I got a last notification a well, looking at the first screenshot. Mine is 2.4.1 on a European N9005. See what they say.