Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By benny3
  • 1 Post By sweeperdk
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 2 Post By zeuswsu
  • 1 Post By TheMacs
  • 1 Post By dc52ltr
  • 1 Post By mchi5
  • 1 Post By jim_h#AC
  • 2 Post By waz ahmer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting ,what can it do for me?

Have just read the post re. towelroot and am quite intrigued by it.I`ve never rooted any of my phones before as it seemed a bit too "techie" for me ,however this new way to root seems simple and straightforward (suits me down to the ground!) I wont root my Note 3 just yet but I`m considering rooting my S3 which is my daily phone for work.What will change after rooting ,will the OS remain the same(4.3) would I be able to stop some of the Samsung bloatware(is this fairly easy) are there any drawbacks? Thanks in advance,David
    Flashoholic!!

Default Re: Rooting ,what can it do for me?

Quote Originally Posted by dc52ltr View Post
    Have just read the post re. towelroot and am quite intrigued by it.I`ve never rooted any of my phones before as it seemed a bit too "techie" for me ,however this new way to root seems simple and straightforward (suits me down to the ground!) I wont root my Note 3 just yet but I`m considering rooting my S3 which is my daily phone for work.What will change after rooting ,will the OS remain the same(4.3) would I be able to stop some of the Samsung bloatware(is this fairly easy) are there any drawbacks? Thanks in advance,David
    No rooting will not change anything with the OS . what it does is add permission to access the system files so you change them if you want to. It will allow you to delete the bloat and add some tweaks.
    dc52ltr likes this.

Honestly... If you need to ask if you should root, then you shouldn't...
    dc52ltr likes this.

Here's something else to consider :

ADDED: Reading on -

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    dc52ltr likes this.

I also was wondering the same thing, glad someone posted on here. So what are the benefits of rooting that non "rooted" phones get? As in what "tweaks" is the customer aloud to do? Very curious thanks!

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

To be honest, to me the main pro of rooting anymore is that some apps require root access to do special things like mirror your screen to your car stereo for example. If you don't need any of those apps that require root then I dont see any point in rooting.

I used to root all my phones because there was actual improvements to speed, battery, etc that could be had. Phones today are faster and more optimized then they used to be so those improvements are negligible.

I also agree with the other poster who said if you are asking the benefits of rooting then you probably shouldn't be. I'm not a fan of rooting that as simple as this exploit because it makes it too easy for people who have no idea what they are doing to root and then when they run into a problem they have no clue how to use Odin or any of the other tools required to fix issues.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    dc52ltr and anon8380037 like this.

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

Delete

Global Posts
    616 Global Posts

If it's a work issued phone, I'd strongly encourage you not to mess with it. Employers typically frown on that sort of thing. If it's your device, it's up to you, but it would be not without risk if you choose to root it.

That said, if you're considering it, Google/Youtube (read: research) until you're comfortable.

The ultimate risk is of course, you brick your phone. It can (and does) happen, but it is getting easier and easier all the time to root without any real worries. Developers are writing software that does all the heavy lifting (hence one-click options).

Good luck!
    dc52ltr likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks everyone for your replies.....its likely that I wouldn`t benefit from rooting any of my phones(other than stopping bloatware) so I`ll stay stock ,Cheers,David
    anon8380037 likes this.

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Guess you made the decision to not root but I just did the towelroot to my Note 3 yesterday and glad I did

Now I can erase all the bloatware off my Note 3 that came pre-installed. And can now use any app in multi window feature, not just the pre-determined apps.

Plus ALoT of others reasons why to root ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.

The N3 is the only phone I haven't rooted, mainly because the XDA threads about it for v4.4.2 seem to suggest it's hard to do.

Anyway, the reasons I usually root are:
    Titanium backup - won't work without root.
    Remove bloatware - This drives me mad with Samsung phones. If I could find an easy and reliable way to root my N3, I'd do it just for this reason.
    Custom rom install - I have always had HTC phones in the past and was never a fan of Sense. Custom roms always worked well and I often swapped and changed to new ones.
    mchi5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dc52ltr View Post
    Rooting can do wonders I think of it as unlocking your device to its fullest potential I rooted my note 3 on 4.3 n is the same not slower but faster you can block YouTube ads from the app muting camera if not already available.

Posted from my note 3 :3

Mmmmmmmmm

Mess up your S note and Action memo settings.

Brick your Note 3

Lose all your touchwizz

Phone won't go on or off

Phone freeze

When you sell your Note 3 you will have to put it back to stock

Oh and the main part lose your Warranty

Ulimate Note 3
    anon8380037 and Jalopiejoe like this.