Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Now basketball season is over think I will keep it off. Will certainly extend my battery life.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S
  2. #2  
    oditius's Avatar

    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    966 Global Posts

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    I plug my phone it at night. And leave WiFi on, because I update via "WiFi Only"
    Oditius (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

    But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Don't see a reason to do that,, my phone goes on the dock charging at night.. I don't get any alerts because I have blocking mode set not to receive any alerts of any kind between the hours of 9pm and 4:30 am

    Note 3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING
    love my evo.
    Thanked by:
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
  4. #4  
    jeepmanjr's Avatar

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    Now basketball season is over think I will keep it off. Will certainly extend my battery life.
    Nope! I just leave the charger plugged in. My phone is always good to go in the morning.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Same here, just plug it in at night. I never understand why people want to leave it unplugged overnight?? What's the point?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Nope. Leave it on wifi or mobile data (if not at home).. And have it plugged in overnight.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    On here. I use an app to block all but family calls in case there's an emergency. Phone is on the charger when I sleep.

    Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Same here, just plug it in at night. I never understand why people want to leave it unplugged overnight?? What's the point?
    Because leaving it plugged in wears down the battery faster. That's why you get a message every time the phone is fully charged to unplug it.
  9. #9  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,174 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Because leaving it plugged in wears down the battery faster. That's why you get a message every time the phone is fully charged to unplug it.
    As opposed to leaving the device turned off and unplugged yes. Otherwise, on most devices this is no longer the case. It is much better to allow a device to remain topped of than to say, allow excessive drain.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Because leaving it plugged in wears down the battery faster. That's why you get a message every time the phone is fully charged to unplug it.
    That's the old way of thinking. With the batteries now a days it's actually better to keep the battery more topped off then to drain it low all the time.

    Also when the phone hits 100% it doesn't keep charging the battery anymore. It stops so it doesn't overcharge and hurt the battery.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    zmann 
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    My note 3 has a 0% drop overnight with 4GLTE enabled



    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    As opposed to leaving the device turned off and unplugged yes. Otherwise, on most devices this is no longer the case. It is much better to allow a device to remain topped of than to say, allow excessive drain.
    No, as opposed to leaving the device on and unplugged. Those two choices you gave are not necessary - you don't have to choose between keeping always plugged in or allowing excessive drain. I never do either. Both are bad for the battery. Particularly overnight, which was the question I responded to, when the phone is not being used, there should not be any drain and you are definitely causing more wear on the battery by leaving it plugged in than by leaving it on and unplugged.

    And to answer the original question of the thread, since I leave my phone unplugged overnight I shut off wifi when I go to bed because it causes unnecessary wakelocks and background updating and I leave my mobile data on. My battery only goes down 1-2% overnight.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    That's the old way of thinking. With the batteries now a days it's actually better to keep the battery more topped off then to drain it low all the time.

    Also when the phone hits 100% it doesn't keep charging the battery anymore. It stops so it doesn't overcharge and hurt the battery.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

    No, that's not true. And the choice is not between leaving it plugged in at 100% after full charge and draining it low. You should not do either. Both wear the battery down prematurely. And this is still true of modern phone batteries.
  14. #14  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,174 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    No, that's not true. And the choice is not between leaving it plugged in at 100% after full charge and draining it low. You should not do either. Both wear the battery down prematurely. And this is still true of modern phone batteries.
    There is a circuit that prevents overcharging. Many devices, such as the Note will let it drain until 97-98% and then top it off. If it never gets that low, then it's not drawing a charge and no damage is being done. If it is below that threshold, it draws a charge up to 100% and then starts that process and no damage is being done. If it were continually ingesting power and having to disperse it then yes, that would create damage the same as if it were draining the entire time.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    There is a circuit that prevents overcharging. Many devices, such as the Note will let it drain until 97-98% and then top it off. If it never gets that low, then it's not drawing a charge and no damage is being done. If it is below that threshold, it draws a charge up to 100% and then starts that process and no damage is being done. If it were continually ingesting power and having to disperse it then yes, that would create damage the same as if it were draining the entire time.
    What you described is exactly what causes the damage. Those repeated minor discharges and charges are what wear the battery down.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  16. #16  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,174 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    What you described is exactly what causes the damage. Those repeated minor discharges and charges are what wear the battery down.
    I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but what you're saying is true in one specific circumstance, which is referred to as parasitic load. It is very harsh on batteries to be used while trying to remain topped off on a charger because that causes the rapid recycling of the tiny discharges. If your Note is losing 1-2% overnight then we're talking one or two at most trips from 97/98 to 100 and back over the course of many hours. In a parasitic load scenario, that can be happening as often as once every 2-3 minutes and is essentially the same as draining the battery from 100% to 0% inside of around 3 hours (very difficult to do under normal circumstances). The admonition against letting it drain too far is usually reserved for people that allow batteries to fall to 1% or even 15% before beginning to recharge, but the most ideal area to discharge to is around 50% and to try to couch it between the 40-80% rule. That being said, starting out at 100% and dropping to 40-50% is better than starting at 80% and dropping to 20-30%, and by a lot. Because life doesn't allow for micromanaging the draw while we're on the move, we generally recommend people start the day full and plug it back in around the 40% mark as needed until the day is done.
    Thanked by:
    Rubus Roo likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    ...... and what I picked up from a helpful post by @clevin a while ago, which he/she may have picked up elsewhere,
    is the battery charges easiest when it's at it coolest which is generally around 50% (although thinking about that - obviously the load on the battery at the time and ambient conditions play a major part)
    ...also it's the phone nowadays (Note 3 anyway) that determines the charge and strength, it's not a steady stream from the charger. At different points during the full charge cycle the rate from a 2.0/2.1 charger feeds close to the full 2A, errr I forget, either at the start where a low hot battery needs more of a push, but reduces to around 1.2A midway - or vice versa, and slows the charge down at around the 95% mark, and as @Darth Spock says moderates the charge to 100% and does further trickle top ups, though I didn't know it should only be a couple of times overnight if it's healthy.

    Have you ever met anyone more willing to demonstrate their lack of a grasp of, and inability to explain, an issue as me?
    Thanked by:
    sarkycow likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    No, that's not true. And the choice is not between leaving it plugged in at 100% after full charge and draining it low. You should not do either. Both wear the battery down prematurely. And this is still true of modern phone batteries.
    It's been proven and discussed many of times on the forum. That is how it works now a days... They realized the other way was a bad way for cell phone batteries.

    Even my spare charger completely stops once it gets the spare to 100 %.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Same here, just plug it in at night. I never understand why people want to leave it unplugged overnight?? What's the point?
    Well there's no need if it's anything over 20% to Me.

    Dont people say it's bad for the battery to charge it when it's at a certain %?
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S
  20. #20  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    I use an app called Smart Profiles. At 12.00 am, it turns WiFi / Mobile Network and AutoSync off, and then turns them all on again at 6 am. This is so I don't get woken up by messages and e-mails. I don't charge the phone overnight. I have docks in all my vehicles and the phone gets some type of a charge at some point, every few days. It never runs below 35% for the most part.

    I could easily go 2 days between charges if the phone wasn't getting any type of charging. Topping off the battery with a full overnight charge each night would only serve to use up charge cycles, not that it's any issue, because I know I'll have a new phone before the battery starts to die, but it just isn't necessary for me to charge it daily. I never run out of battery and always have a fully charged spare in my wallet anyway.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    I use an app called Smart Profiles. At 12.00 am, it turns WiFi / Mobile Network and AutoSync off, and then turns them all on again at 6 am. This is so I don't get woken up by messages and e-mails. I don't charge the phone overnight. I have docks in all my vehicles and the phone gets some type of a charge at some point, every few days. It never runs below 35% for the most part.

    I could easily go 2 days between charges if the phone wasn't getting any type of charging. Topping off the battery with a full overnight charge each night would only serve to use up charge cycles, not that it's any issue, because I know I'll have a new phone before the battery starts to die, but it just isn't necessary for me to charge it daily. I never run out of battery and always have a fully charged spare in my wallet anyway.
    Might try that app thanks. Be easily than turning things off manually all the time.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    I use an app called Smart Profiles. At 12.00 am, it turns WiFi / Mobile Network and AutoSync off, and then turns them all on again at 6 am. This is so I don't get woken up by messages and e-mails. I don't charge the phone overnight. I have docks in all my vehicles and the phone gets some type of a charge at some point, every few days. It never runs below 35% for the most part.

    I could easily go 2 days between charges if the phone wasn't getting any type of charging. Topping off the battery with a full overnight charge each night would only serve to use up charge cycles, not that it's any issue, because I know I'll have a new phone before the battery starts to die, but it just isn't necessary for me to charge it daily. I never run out of battery and always have a fully charged spare in my wallet anyway.
    You can use blocking mode if you just want to disable notifications for texts and email

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    No I leave everything on, I just put it on silent. It uses about 2-4% in about 8 hours. The battery life on this phone is incredible compared to past devices I have owned.
  24. #24  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You can use blocking mode if you just want to disable notifications for texts and email

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I know, but this actually works better, is easier to setup and conserves battery cycles. I have it doing other things as well when it goes into night mode...
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

    I tried blocking mode last night but notifications still come through and dropped 6% overnight
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CWM and mounting system problem on i9305
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 09:54 PM
  3. Cut and Paste not working correctly in 4.4.3
    By andyhurley in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions